United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, today is my wife's birthday - unfortunately, the mega-cool-awesometastic gift I ordered for her has been DELAYED and won't arrive until next week... Sad Clown!

So I'd like to cut out over lunch today and snag a Nintendo DS game for her @ the mall... She's really been grooving on the DS lately.

Previously, she's played and enjoyed PuzzleQuest, Phoenix Wright, and WarioWare... For Xmas I got her Professor Layton and the Curious Village - which was a HUGE hit... easily her favorite DS game so far. In fact she just finished it last night (which is why I figure a new DS game would be a good temporary gift).

So she tends to like puzzle and brain teaser games (however, real-time puzzle/stress games like Meteos tend to fall flat)... Brain Age 2 was a "meh" ... She pulls it out from time to time, but never really get's all that engaged with it.

Any recommendations on a good DS game for the love of my life?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:
Hey all, today is my wife's birthday - unfortunately, the mega-cool-awesometastic gift I ordered for her has been DELAYED and won't arrive until next week... Sad Clown!

So I'd like to cut out over lunch today and snag a Nintendo DS game for her @ the mall... She's really been grooving on the DS lately.

Previously, she's played and enjoyed PuzzleQuest, Phoenix Wright, and WarioWare... For Xmas I got her Professor Layton and the Curious Village - which was a HUGE hit... easily her favorite DS game so far. In fact she just finished it last night (which is why I figure a new DS game would be a good temporary gift).

So she tends to like puzzle and brain teaser games (however, real-time puzzle/stress games like Meteos tend to fall flat)... Brain Age 2 was a "meh" ... She pulls it out from time to time, but never really get's all that engaged with it.

Darn, I was going to recommend Professor Layton.

I liked the Million Heir game. It is basically an "I Spy" kind of game with a story wrapped loosely around it. But you don't have to play timed games, so not stressful (your wife and I have some similar tastes).

Mystery Case Files: Million Heir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay this is exactly my girlfriend fiancee and I need the same recommendations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also 3 or 4 Phoenix Wright games for the DS, if she doesn't have all of them. I haven't played the newest one - the one without Phoenix - but the others are all pretty good.

If she likes Mario games at all the "New Super Mario Bros." game is really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:
There's also 3 or 4 Phoenix Wright games for the DS, if she doesn't have all of them. I haven't played the newest one - the one without Phoenix - but the others are all pretty good.

If she likes Mario games at all the "New Super Mario Bros." game is really good.

I'll second NSMB - been jamming on that since Christmas! Nice balance of stuff to find/different level endings/secrets to find - not too much, but enough to keep me curious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes a game where you use the pen a lot - I like Cooking Mama - it's really cute - you chop, stir, flip, etc food items to make dishes and when you do well, it will unlock new dishes to create.

If she likes simulation games, I played Sims Castaway for a while and liked that too.

If she likes non-timed friendly exploration games, there's Animal Crossing Wild World - it's fun and there's no pressure to do anything in particular, but challenges come up and you can participate in them if you want to, it's super high on the cute factor.

If she likes building games and hasn't played it on the computer, Zoo Tycoon is fun, but if she already played it on the computer it's almost exactly the same (I was disappointed since I had already played it on the computer and it didn't offer anything different or new really).

If she likes farming - Rune Factory 2 (Harvest Moon) - you can plant crops, buy and train animals, fight monsters and even tame monsters to help you on the farm. This is my favorite version of Harvest Moon so far.

If she likes old school adventure games, like D&D type - here is one with monsters and you make your own maps using the stylus - Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (what I'm currently playing). You explore dungeons, fight monsters, get new stuff, and sometimes get quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
If she hasn't played all four Ace Attorney games then those would be my first recommendation.

Hotel Dusk is a graphic adventure similar to Ace Attorney that is also worth playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Picross has TONS of puzzle-y goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rasattack wrote:
Hotel Dusk is a graphic adventure similar to Ace Attorney that is also worth playing.

I'd forgotten about Hotel Dusk. Fantastic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Picross is the answer to everything.

For something more involved, there's always civ revolution, or anno 1701.
Air Traffic Chaos is fun too, but there's a time element, so she might not like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just took a closer look at Picross, and that may be the answer... But please keep the recommendations and suggestions coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibikir wrote:

For something more involved, there's always civ revolution, or anno 1701.
Air Traffic Chaos is fun too, but there's a time element, so she might not like it.

Picross is amazing! And will last for several months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Picross is a great rec, especially if she likes Sudoku.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also second Rune Factory 2 as a wildcard. Good risk for expanding her gaming horizons IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanic Master, it's kind of like a build a Rube-Goldberg machine to destroy aliens. If you've ever played The Incredible Machine, it's just like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
Mechanic Master, it's kind of like a build a Rube-Goldberg machine to destroy aliens. If you've ever played The Incredible Machine, it's just like that.

The Incredible Machine was one of my all-time faves Back In The Day...

I'm also VERY interested in World of Goo - hopefully it'll be a DS port some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rasattack wrote:
If she hasn't played all four Ace Attorney games then those would be my first recommendation.

I have Hotel Dusk and have found it very slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:
rasattack wrote:

What am I missing with this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deborahjeanne wrote:
Quixote171 wrote:
rasattack wrote:

What am I missing with this game?

I'm not sure. I couldn't put it down. I played through the game in a couple of days. I was very disappointed when it was over.
The only other DS game I've played through that fast was PuzzleQuest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Hotel Dusk but I found it talky and spent about a year (VAGUE HINT SPOILER!)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
trying to figure out the puzzle which involves a writing utensil.

I look back on it with fondness, but I'm an adventure game fan and wish there were more on the DS. Come on Lucasarts, at least port Day of the Tentacle! I know that ScummVM is technically an option but I'd rather not support manufacturers of what I consider to be pirate-targeted hardware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Picross is terrifically awesome. Paint-by-Numbers has been my favorite Games Magazine feature for years, and the DS implementation is totally rad.

I'd also recommend Gourmet Chef. Cooking Mama is a lot of fun, but Gourmet Chef has a cute storyline, and I like the way you've gotta juggle different stations (baking, stovetop, prep) to make the recipes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need to get her addicted to Animal Crossing! They are so cute if she likes cute stuff.

I like all the Castlevania DS games too, you can get her one to try. Great art.

Tetris is another good choice.

Super Priincess Peach is good too, a little easy but still good if super mario games are a bit too hard for her. (I know it was for me)

Oh ya Mario Kart is great. We even have 2 copies to play together! The online is not bad either.

Elite Beat Agent is good music rhythm game.

That's all I can think of that I enjoy for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:

Sooooooo.

What did you get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I second that! Picross is huge fun and never gets boring.

If your girl is a gamer she'd love Panzer Tactics DS. Very deep, very long tactical game in the spirit of Panzer General.

Jerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
deborahjeanne wrote:

Sooooooo.

What did you get?

None of the places I stopped by over lunch had Picross, which was my #1 goal... However, I did end up getting Hotel Dusk and Mystery Case Files: Million Heir for her. She started playing Million Heir last night and so far, 60 minutes in, she's been having a lot of fun, so I think that'll go over well in the long run.

I'll save the Picross recommendation for next time I need a gift in a pinch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.