Popular Tags: shipping [+] [View All]
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, I know this was discussed recently. I'm about to ship my games from the last math trade. I decided to take the time to do a full price comparison on my boxes between Fed Ex and USPS. Unless I'm missing something here's the result. All shipments are from 94553.

To 11725, 2.1 lbs.
USPS - $8.12 parcel
Fed Ex - $9.47 ground
UPS - $12.83 ground

To 30041, 6.3 lbs.
USPS - $12.81 parcel
Fed Ex - $10.95 ground
UPS - $14.98 ground

To 47025, 3.1 lbs.
USPS - $12.81 parcel
Fed Ex - $9.95 ground
UPS - $13.52 ground

To 98685, 2.7 lbs.
USPS - $6.38 priority
Fed Ex - $8.07 ground
UPS - $10.79 ground

To 97223, 2.6 lbs.
USPS - $6.38 priority
Fed Ex - $8.07 ground
UPS - $10.79 ground

To 19406, 2.1 lbs.
USPS - $8.12 parcel
Fed Ex - $9.47 ground
UPS - $12.83 ground

So, my conclusion is that Fed Ex is cheaper if you are sending 3+ pound packages across the country, but that USPS is cheaper if I'm shipping either to other west coast destinations, or if my package going x-country is less than 3 lbs. Does this sound right, or am I forgetting something?

I know the Fed Ex price is inclusive of tracking, but even if I add delivery confirmation to USPS, they are still cheaper in those situations.

I get the impression from the way folks talk about Fed Ex is that it is cheaper in a majority of situations. It seems to me it is cheaper in maybe half of the shipping situations. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fed Ex vs USPS
I've found more or less the same thing that you show, that FedEx is usually much cheaper for BIG packages (like Twilight Imperium) or ones that have to go coast-to-coast, but that USPS is typically cheaper for packages the size of a normal boardgame. One thing to note is that shipping Priority mail online gets you free delivery confirmation, so that charge is fairly inconsequential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2 cases you're comparing USPS priority to FedEx ground, in which USPS was cheaper. I'm not defending USPS, but that seems a lot cheaper to go with USPS in those cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be in buying and selling, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading is a legitimate place for this discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about vs. UPS ground?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Benham
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm noting you're comparing USPS Parcel Post to Fedex ground in a couple of places, and I don't think the services compare in anything other than price...Parcel Post is an abomination of the shipping industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about for those of us that want it faster than ground/parcel rate, or are willing to spend more than the bare minimum when shipping out?

Shipping outside of the U.S., you have an entirely different beast. FedEx rates are considerably higher than the USPS, especially if you're relying on counter services to pack and label your packages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
What about for those of us that want it faster than ground/parcel rate, or are willing to spend more than the bare minimum when shipping out?

Shipping outside of the U.S., you have an entirely different beast. FedEx rates are considerably higher than the USPS, especially if you're relying on counter services to pack and label your packages.

Compared to what I've seen from Fed Ex - you don't want to use them for anything other than ground. Priority Mail is the way to go for cheaper speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaPirateAssassin wrote:
I'm noting you're comparing USPS Parcel Post to Fedex ground in a couple of places, and I don't think the services compare in anything other than price...Parcel Post is an abomination of the shipping industry.

In the places where I listed priority, it was actually cheaper than parcel. If your package is very light, first class is often the cheapest of all.

I haven't had any problems with parcel post. In fact, the one time a package was damaged in shipment for me, I had sent it priority mail...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you may have forgotten:
1) Delivery confirmation / tracking
USPS - +$0.50 for priority / first class, +$0.60 for parcel post
FedEx / UPS - Free
2) Insurance
USPS - +$1.70 for $0.01-$50, +2.15 for $50.01-$100
FedEx / UPS - Free upto $100

Tack on those fees and both UPS and FedEx become a much better deal.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
What about vs. UPS ground?

I went ahead and looked up the prices for UPS ground and added them. Apparently, UPS discourages using their company for non-business shipments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowLab wrote:
One thing you may have forgotten:
1) Delivery confirmation / tracking
USPS - +$0.50 for priority / first class, +$0.60 for parcel post
FedEx / UPS - Free
2) Insurance
USPS - +$1.70 for $0.01-$50, +2.15 for $50.01-$100
FedEx / UPS - Free upto $100

Tack on those fees and both UPS and FedEx become a much better deal.

Bob

1) Where USPS is cheaper, it is still cheaper with delivery confirmation.

2) Typically, I only insure packages worth over $100. For all of the extra I'd pay either buying insurance or paying Fed Ex rates - and for the amount of shipping I do, which is a lot - I could more than pay for any lost/damaged game with the savings. Also, the BGG community is a pleasantly flexible lot, and if something happens there are usually a raft of creative solutions to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joewyka wrote:

Where USPS is cheaper, it is still cheaper with delivery confirmation.
USPS delivery confirmation isn't the same as UPS/fedex tracking. In fact unless you pay for signature confirmation USPS won't guarantee it will get delivered and won't do anything about it if it gets lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

Not always true. I just quoted a 2.1 pound package from Florida to Ontario.

USPS Priority International : $19.80
UPS ground: $16.90
Fedex ground: $15.32

I pack my own stuff no matter who I use. All the transit times were the same 4-6 day range. I have accounts with all 3 and can ship via any of them online. So all things are pretty much equal. USPS is often a little cheaper when I normally price packages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My results are about the same as yours.

Are your FedEx rates for Ground delivery to a business address or to a residence?
The residence rates are higher than Ground but many receivers here on BGG can only accept Home delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for doing this exercise. Please consider turning this into a Wiki article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Also, if you sign up with Fedex and print the shipping labels at home you get something like a 10 or 15% discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fsumarc wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

I pack my own stuff no matter who I use. All the transit times were the same 4-6 day range. I have accounts with all 3 and can ship via any of them online. So all things are pretty much equal. USPS is often a little cheaper when I normally price packages.

And you are not taking into account your Ontario recipient will probably get charged a TONNE of money by both UPS and FEDEX for brokerage fees and or duty etc. USPS does not do this. Please don't ship to Canada via a courier! Please ......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoamDog wrote:
My results are about the same as yours.

Are your FedEx rates for Ground delivery to a business address or to a residence?
The residence rates are higher than Ground but many receivers here on BGG can only accept Home delivery.

Residence. I assume shipments to a business would be uncommon. I think I've only been asked to ship to a business once, but certainly another price check is warranted if that's the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
Also, if you sign up with Fedex and print the shipping labels at home you get something like a 10 or 15% discount.

I've heard this. I will sign up tonight and purchase labels for the two items that would be cheaper with Fed Ex and see what additional savings there might be before deciding what to do with the rest. Fed Ex certainly does not do a good job of advertising this fact if it is true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Re: Fed Ex vs USPS vs UPS

First USPS discovers the unique nature of FedEx and nearly crushes him. But someone gacks FedEx prematurely. So FedEx comes back to life, but his villagers are really freaked out by this and banish him. While in exile, FedEx meets UPS and UPS lets on that FedEx is special. UPS trains FedEx. FedEx goes... somewhere(?) and UPS is hanging out with FedEx's wife when USPS shows up. They fight. UPS give USPS a nasty neck wound, but doesn't finish the job. USPS ripostes and finishes off UPS. USPS, it's assumed, has it's way with FedEx's wife. USPS becomes freaky over the years and pins up his neck. Meanwhile, FexEx goes around cleaning up smaller competitors. Finally, FedEx and USPS meet-up for a rematch. Sparks and lightning, clash and clangs later; FedEx greases USPS once and for all. FedEx wins the prize and uses it to make out with a foxy redhead in the Highlands.

There can be only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:
fsumarc wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

And you are not taking into account your Ontario recipient will probably get charged a TONNE of money by both UPS and FEDEX for brokerage fees and or duty etc. USPS does not do this. Please don't ship to Canada via a courier! Please ......

And I asked him specifically beforehand if this was the case and was assured it was not with fedex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in a postal facility. Of course, I don't get out much, so I don't know specific rates, but what about the Flat rate Priority boxes?
\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
I work in a postal facility. Of course, I don't get out much, so I don't know specific rates, but what about the Flat rate Priority boxes?
\

I would love if those worked out for me but they never seem to. Either the game wont fit in any or even one of them that's reasonably priced or putting it in my own box with a label ends up considerably cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.