2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Princes of the Renaissance v Struggle of Empires rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark coomey
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Can anyone give me an opinion on which game they think is the better of the two? I already own PotR, and it's only received about 4-5 plays. After reading many reviews on struggle, and I know, many people rate it as a very very good game. But there seems to be some concerns about how the dice is utilised..and other minor issues about fiddly rules (moving to europe and things). Is the game different to warrant buying it? Do you think I'll get my moneys worth outta this game considering the duration (and that it'll be $100+ new zealand $)

all opinions welcome

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Mele
flag msg tools
As you're a Wallace's fan, you should get it.
SoE is quite different from PotR: there are much les auctions, but the ones you do (the alliance) is of paramount importance.
You can decide to buy all the tiles you want, if still avalaible.
The victory points are mostly given by area control. In PotR the players can change the relative value given by each city, while in SoE the scoring values are fixed and rewarding a usually more limited player number. The wars let you attack and throw out competitors while in PotR once you have a city tile, the only way to prevent scoring is to sink the city influence. This means that SoE is a much more confrontational game, with aggression and direct wars.
PotR has much more subtelty, is better in manouvering players in doing what you need.
This element is present also in SoE, but the intrigue feeling of renaissance italian politics is one of the key of the success PotR has for me.
PotR can have swirling alliances, while in SoE these are blocked for a good portion of the game (each one will last at least 1/3 of the game time and even more).
The confrontational element, almost wargame style, is the key element.
Almost all progresses, tiles, and choice have the goal to improve you warring capacity. In PotR many tiles can provide you victory points that are not related to city wars.
Wallace games give me a wonderful mix of meaty games and period feeling. The theme usually is very well represented.
SoE is not an exception. It's a game of gigantic world struggle, warring across continents, trying by the politics of alliances to dominate.
If PotR is a rapier and venom game, here you have a claymore.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.