Subject: Hazard Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that for a bog hazard:

"EFFECT ON MOVEMENT: Entry forbidden to non-flying nonnative characters. A flying non-native character may not end his move on a Bog hex."

Am I missing something or is the second sentence redundant since a flying non-native character could not enter the hex anyways.

Also what is the purpose of the slope hexes and such being labeled as top in the rulebook? Is the whole hex considered a slope or just the edge of the hex?

For slopes a part of the rule reads:
"A native character adds one die when striking down across a Slope."

I am assuming striking down a slope means your character is on the slope hex. So would striking down a slope be striking across an edge of the hex with the slope indicators on it or would it mean striking at any adjacent hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Bog Hazard
Flying non-native characters can enter bog hexes as long as they continue moving, pass over them, and don't land in a bog hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Bog Hazard
I think you're missing something:
Entry is forbidden to characters which are BOTH non-flying and non-native, however, flying non-native characters have the option of entering a bog hex but may not end their move there, native characters, flying or not, may enter a bog hex and stay there.

Please note though that I don't own the game and somehow doubt I ever will, thanks to VG's glamorous shipping department, so perhaps I'm completely misinterpreting this (I'm not, I just wanted to use this opportunity to take a cheap shot at them )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
For example gargoyles may fly over bogs, but not land in them.
There is a location (the volcano) where some flyers can not even fly over the location.
Sand is another variant. Flyers can land on sand for 1 movement point even if they aren't native.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the second point, the benefit/penalty for a slope only applies to the hex edges with the slope graphic, not the sides without the slope graphic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify that further - slopes and dunes have a top and a bottom precisely because the effect of striking UP one is different from the effect of striking DOWN one. Natives gain bonuses for striking down, while non-natives are penalized for striking up. There is no effect on non-natives striking down or natives striking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That pretty much cleared it up, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.