Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone was a big help on finding me some gaming shelves (Ikea Expedit are amazing!)

So now I return - anyone got an idea for gaming/dining room chairs? Would like to get 6 or so, so cheaper is better, but comfy and nice looking important too.

Thanks,
Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that that would be very comfortable on a psychological level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the type or style or chair you are looking for is a "Bridge Chair", otherwise known as a Kingston Chair. An upright chair, almost always with armrests, sprung cushion and padded back.

The best ones are the older ones, made by real craftsmen, not the modern Ikea type rubbish.

You can often find very cheap, whole sets on e-bay or local second-hand furniture sites.

We have local council clean-ups around our area every 9-10 weeks, where people leave their discards on the nature strip (side walk) at the front of their house. We have picked-up some beautiful pieces over the years, and having some upholstery knowledge, we have restored quite a few. Although we are happy with mismatched and eclectic furniture in our house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob Gray wrote:

It might be comfortable, but was definitely unstable. I saw Kirk fall out of it on many, many occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this but with padded arms, back rest halfway up or a little higher, rolling casters on feet for easy getting up from the table, arms fit easily under the table.

http://d3f8w3yx9w99q2.cloudfront.net/1548/pastel-furniture-w...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Bob Gray wrote:

It might be comfortable, but was definitely unstable. I saw Kirk fall out of it on many, many occasions.

You guys must have partied a lot together then. So what does Kirk like like best, Klingon Blood Wine, Romulan Ale, Saurian Brandy??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
Something like this but with padded arms, back rest halfway up or a little higher, rolling casters on feet for easy getting up from the table, arms fit easily under the table.

http://d3f8w3yx9w99q2.cloudfront.net/1548/pastel-furniture-w...

Any store links?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
I think the type or style or chair you are looking for is a "Bridge Chair", otherwise known as a Kingston Chair. An upright chair, almost always with armrests, sprung cushion and padded back.

The best ones are the older ones, made by real craftsmen, not the modern Ikea type rubbish.

You can often find very cheap, whole sets on e-bay or local second-hand furniture sites.

We have local council clean-ups around our area every 9-10 weeks, where people leave their discards on the nature strip (side walk) at the front of their house. We have picked-up some beautiful pieces over the years, and having some upholstery knowledge, we have restored quite a few. Although we are happy with mismatched and eclectic furniture in our house.

Sounds very nice. Could you give me a link to one, pic or ebay/craigslist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, if you don't mind braving more Swedish superstore furniture... we just got 6 of these for our new place:

They're Ikea NILS chairs. They're about $70 a pop, so they're not totally budget-level cheap. But they're not Enterprise-bridge-throne expensive, and early returns indicate that they're comfy enough for a good evening of gaming.

Also, as an added bonus, they're relatively easy to put together, unlike most Ikea furniture. Note that you should have a wrench and a flathead screwdriver, but those are just to keep a couple of bits in line while you key in other bolts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Silva
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Something like this game table chair. The site and the chair are more expensive than they should be but that's the style of chair you want for good comfort and support for long gaming sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 8 sturdy, comfortable, and attractive wood chairs from a recycled building supply store for $20 each. I am guessing that they were used restaurant chairs since they had like 30 or so matching chairs. You might looking for stores that sell used restaurant equipment if you don't have that kind of salavage yard in your area. Restaurants go out of businesss all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Usta Playalot
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:
anomander64 wrote:
Bob Gray wrote:

You guys must have partied a lot together then. So what does Kirk like like best, Klingon Blood Wine, Romulan Ale, Saurian Brandy??

Careful there, buddy....you just let a little too much nerd out there. This is a site for Boardgame geeks, not Trekkie nerds. Those people give me the heebie jeebies! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
killjoy00 wrote:
Everyone was a big help on finding me some gaming shelves (Ikea Expedit are amazing!)

So now I return - anyone got an idea for gaming/dining room chairs? Would like to get 6 or so, so cheaper is better, but comfy and nice looking important too.

Thanks,
Ryan

There is always the great balance in buying furniture trading comfort and design. To this balance I apply a popular motto..."FORM FOLLOWING FUNCTION"

Before you even get to the motto is the essential element of "limited resources" (ei budget)

----

I personally went four years with folding chairs before we found the balance between what we could afford, what I'd be willing to sit on for 3-4 hours and how they looked.

As graduates from Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University my wife and I bask in the glow of a good deal when we find one.

We found super padded black leather chairs with dark wood frames for $17.50 a piece at our neighborhood Kroger (in a discount area they stock from time to time)

They look kinda like this...

...but the bottoms and top are equally square.

I recommend the leather heavily padded chair...

Or the standard inexpensive dining chair...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Lay-Z-Boys fit at a dining table? Those ae super comfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
The chairs that came with my poker table are quite comfy. They recline, and lift up and down. Love them!

I think the chairs separately cost about $225 each. I know eBay sells a lots of this similar model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Miller
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
300 pound weight limit is the only problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... the thing that I think is needed in a chair is movement. So many of my friends have the "gamer build" and they like to lean back, lean forward, turn left and right in order to see what's happening in the game and see what their opponents are doing. There's a lot of getting up and down too.

A lot of gaming chairs, or chairs I see in general, just aren't designed to handle more activity from sedentary people. They expect people to just sit. What's the fun in that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.