Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Settlers of Catan Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael rasmussen
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I just purchased the game and read through the instructions. I am a bit confused on settlements on the cost. It seems some of the harbors on in locations which cannot hold a settlement, is this true? For example, in the picture below, the ? space on the bottom of the pic, it looks like there is a blue settlement there, is that the case? Is the location where the blue settlement leagal as well as the location one "point" to our left? Both of these locations would be valid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this question is very confusing to read but it does appear that all cities and settlements in the image are legally placed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as long as settlements are 2 or more roads apart, you are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the settlements placed look legal. You couldn't place on the 3:1 harbor next to the blue settlement (it's too close to the blue settlement), and you couldn't place at the 8/4 intersection along the blue road, because it's too close to the settlements as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, everything looks good to me.

Every port will have two corners available to be built on, but each port will only have one settlement built on it due to the 2-road rule. In other words, you can build on either corner, but once someone builds on one of them, the other is dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah they look good to me. How is the blue one in the lower left any different than the red ones at the top of the picture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what you're asking for is if all settlements must border to three (or at least two) hexes, and as far as I know and always play, the answer is no. One is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Each settlement borders to three hexes anyway. Surely, you meant non-water hexes.
It's pretty legal to have coastal settlements that border to two water and one regular hex. If the 8 hex in the picture with the blue settlement was a desert, it still would be perfectly legal. A settlement needs not to border to any numbered hex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
non-water hexes

*slaps forhead*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here's another possible answer to your question (I agree -- I can't understand your question very well. You may need to clarify).

Each port (2:1 or 3:1) has two little dotted half-circles on it -- those are the POSSIBLE places where you could build a settlement, to get the use of that port. However, those two locations are only one road-length apart, so it is not possible to build on BOTH of them. In other words, now that blue has built on that 3:1, nobody may build on the other part of that same 3:1. There are two possible locations to give you options.

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Each settlement borders to three hexes anyway.

This is untrue for those editions or variants that use borders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The borders are still considered hexes, hence this is true for all editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.