Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Industry, the New Zealand Game brings together some classical gaming elements to help you slowly build your New Zealand empire. There are three primary elements to the game. The first element is the event cards which depict historical events from New Zealand’s past. You need not know New Zealand history but famous New Zealanders like Kate Sheppard (pioneer of women’s voting), Ernest rutherford (who split the atom) and Robert Muldoon (a notorious politician) all make an appearance. Events may stay in play for several turns and effect everyone or instead just provide a benefit to one player and events occur according to the die.

The second element is resource collection. You gain resources in a similar way to Settlers with the dice determining which players determine goods that turn. Goods are then either stockpiled as part of a victory condition or sold through the goods exchanges for cash. Cash allows you to purchase new industries, some special abilities and is also required as part of the victory conditions.

The third element is the goods exchange. One of the actions you may perform is to trade at the goods exchange. You may buy or sell twice in a particular turn where the price is determined by the number of each commodity currently in the exchange. Certain events will clear the exchange at different times and as a result increase the value of commodities, and player should buy and sell wisely.

This is a home grown New Zealand production and when you buy Industry you are buying New Zealand made. It sells at a reasonable price point and the components for the game are basic but functional . Most importantly there is a consistent theme running through the game and the experience is a thoroughly New Zealand one. It is worth noting that the board is in two pieces and so if you had a piece of Perspex around you could throw that on top, but it’s not necessary and the game is light, portable and won’t take up too much space on the bookshelf.

Overall this is a proud New Zealand Family game. You might be tempted to wander into War Game Supplies ir Dimmocks and grab a New Zealand edition of monopoly, but I would say this is a far better investment and keeps your money away form the evil multinationals. If you want to add some value to family time in your household then Industry: The New Zealand game is just the ticket. Its got something for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with multinational companies.

Sounds like an interesting game, though.

--James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds a bit more like an advertisement/preview than a review -
Quote:
This is a home grown New Zealand production and when you buy Industry you are buying New Zealand made.
Hmmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e9martin wrote:
This sounds a bit more like an advertisement/preview than a review -
Quote:
This is a home grown New Zealand production and when you buy Industry you are buying New Zealand made.
Hmmmm...

It might help to understand the context here.

NZ is a small agricultural economy with a very high trade deficit. We have to import a lot of stuff to survive. For some time we enjoyed a very strong currency and imported goods were very appealing and easy to import. So we have/had a recent government-led promotion to "buy NZ-made" - an attempt to lift local business and divert some money back into the local economy. It was designed to make people think about where their products were actually coming from.

So when Andy says this what he's really doing is appealing to those NZers who think there's something important in buying a locally made product, for the sake of the entire economy.

I can vouch for Andy - he's an honest guy and as far as I know he has nothing to do with this game other than he's obviously played it, which is more than I have accomplished so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All David said was true, but it's also true that I know the designer. Still I will unashamable do all I can do promote any New Zealand game that I can, because frankly, this isn't a big place, and we just don't have a fabeled history of good games.

In this line I will also remind everyone of Endeavor which has been picked up by Zman comes out this year I believe, and I can't wait to do a review of that one. Its much like Canadian basketball commentators constantly going on about Steve Nash or golf Mike Weir. . And why the heck not, they are great Canadians and need thier due.

Don't know why I couldn't attach pictures to this review, I might have to do them in text rather than using the cheat buttons. Have a look at them though.

Thanks for the defence Dave

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bestbandis wrote:
Looks interesting, so thanks for drawing attention to the game. Will have to try and pick a copy up next time I'm home. How would it go for English-as-a-second-language students, do you think? The cards would make it a bit tough, perhaps?

Yes I suspect the text may be a barrier. It's not overly technical but there are some decent words there and probably some nuiances that will effect gameplay. The box recommends it for ages 9+.

Peace
Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.