Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide which would make the best family game. I usually play with my daughters 8yrs and 6yrs old and my wife.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
I'm trying to decide which would make the best family game. I usually play with my daughters 8yrs and 6yrs old and my wife.

Thanks in advance.

While I enjoy both of them, I think TtR just makes for a better and more approachable family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the 2, I'd recommend Ticket to Ride...I think it's a better family game as it's a bit easier to learn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like (and own) both of them, but I also agree that TtR is the more approachable game (though neither are that hard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer TtR, but you have to remember there is more than one version. I think they're all better than T&T myself; T&T just didn't strike the right chord with me, because it felt a bit too dependent on the right card draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TtR

It has simpler rules, and is more visual than Thurn, so it would suit the younger kids better.

I prefer TtR myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever play with just one other player, however, I understand T&T is probably the better game.

Either that, or you'll need to modify TtR somehow (i.e., by using the Big Cities variant from the 1910 expansion, or by getting TtR Nordic Countries or TtR Switzerland). Or just play basic TtR with two players, even though it's probably not optimal that way.

FWIW, I've so far avoided all those games myself. While the game play sounds appealing, I (almost) never play with more than one other person. TtR with an expansion (or even Nordic Countries by itself) is pricey--and the nearest city to where I live (Duluth) is misplaced on the map, which bugs me. As to T&T, the name and locale put me off a little bit; I'd rather create routes in an area I'm more familiar with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
T&T just didn't strike the right chord with me, because it felt a bit too dependent on the right card draw.

Whereas in Ticket to Ride...
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
What they all said.

I really enjoy both games, but TtR is the way to go. Get the 1910 expansion as it improves the game and the components! Then after you've enjoyed TtR for a while, go but TuT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I prefer Thurn & Taxis to Ticket to Ride by a wide margin, TtR is a better family game, especially when playing with younger kids. While T&T is not a heavy game by any stretch of the imagination, I find that some non-gamers find the rules regarding how to place their houses on their completed routes difficult to wrap their heads around. TtR is much more straightforward, and likely more visually appealing to kids as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in for Ticket to Ride. It will be a great family game. Thurn & Taxis, while being good, is a bit more complex. TTR is also a very beautiful game, which is always a plus with younger kids! German cities names' pronunciation might be difficult too for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know if you've played both but the there is a clear answer here. I agree with everyone else. It would be Ticket to Ride.

Thurns & Taxis is more of an area control game rather than a strict route building game. You really need to read all of the cards available and match those cards to where everything is on the map in order to be successful.

Ticket to Ride is a little more forgiving for an even playing field for the youngsters. The tickets have the pin-pointed location on them and the US map will help with them knowing where to find everything on the board. There is also less of a race to earn points.

Now if you think your daughters can handle the European map than I would rocommend Ticket to Ride: Europe over TtR. I prefer the added elements for the gamer's sake and you can choose not to play with them for family games.

(haven't play Ticket to Ride: Märklin yet but I imagine it adds even a little more than TtR:EU)

P.S. - I just realized that I'm assuming your American (only because I am of coarse) so maybe you live in Europe and that map suits you better anyway...nevertheless in my opinion Ticket to Ride Europe is a better game overall, the down side is that is looses some of its attractiveness to the non-gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find TtR: Europe the best of the bunch. And my non-gamer friends had no problem understanding the rules.

But actually if you are thinking about TtR vs. T&T, I'd say you can have Ticket to Ride: Märklin edition which makes buying Thurn und Taxis very unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I add my vote to the others - Ticket to Ride is the best choice.

Unless

...for some reason the people you play with (your kids, others) will really, really, really have a problem with blocking. Of course, you can house-rule this - sometimes people just agree not to block, or sometimes one says that there's no such thing (i.e. anyone can claim any route regardless of previous placement). And sometimes you may want to teach one, that blocking is part of the game, and two, that there is strategy inherent in it (because there is and it's delicious).

But just in case, there's that slight caveat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I have played it with many non-gamer friends. None of them uses blocking (at least they won't block you to stop you building a route); nor do I. If I played with gamers that would be different, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info, looks like it's Ticket to Ride then. I'm in the UK so I might take a look at the Europe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Koehn
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarrant wrote:
I add my vote to the others - Ticket to Ride is the best choice.

Unless

...for some reason the people you play with (your kids, others) will really, really, really have a problem with blocking. Of course, you can house-rule this - sometimes people just agree not to block, or sometimes one says that there's no such thing (i.e. anyone can claim any route regardless of previous placement). And sometimes you may want to teach one, that blocking is part of the game, and two, that there is strategy inherent in it (because there is and it's delicious).

But just in case, there's that slight caveat.

If blocking is a concern, play Ticket to Ride: Europe. Not that blocking doesn't happen, but with the stations, it's not as devastating when it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Storch
Wales
Llanelli
Sir Gaerfyrddin, Cymru
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a big fan of both TTR (Europe) and T&T but would agree that TTR is more 'fun', more accessible and more of a social game. That makes it sound head and shoulders better then T&T but I wouldn't go that far. The theme of T&T works well for me and the unusual scoring/game mechanics is refreshing too, you certainly have more in-game choices.

I'm surprised at this though:
Quote:
T&T just didn't strike the right chord with me, because it felt a bit too dependent on the right card draw.

I find the options for drawing cards quite open, it's a rarity that you get stuck for a card although typically it did happen to me the lat game we played :-). You effectively have a choice of 7 cards. I guess you could say the same for TTR, if the colours you need for the route you're desperate to get before someone else then you're kinda pooped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TTR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Battiste
United States
Irmo
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest TtR, but only because of the kids. I love T&T! I do want to say I too disagree with the card draw aspect. I think T&T gives you enough options, and enough ways to cycle cards that I CAN have a strategy to play. Sometimes I feel like that I don't have those options in TtR. While I have some choices as to what cars are available, it is much easier to plan a few routes in T&T while with fewer cards showing TtR feels more luck dependent.

TtR, through it's luck, I think will keep your family more entertained. Besides, there is a certain zen found in placing cars and finishing tickets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Swanson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BOTH!! If you can't decide do what I do and get both!!

I enjoy both and y 11 year old twins and 8 year old love both and play both very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy both, but introduce TTR first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Either one should work great, since both are really approachable and honestly I haven't had a person object any of the games (even if it may not be their favorite).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Vandelay
Canada
100 Mile House
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
something about thurn and taxis just doesnt sit with me. I prefer ticket to ride also. I have played all the ticket to rides, and europe is my favorite. I highly recommend that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Screw both of them. Buy Twilight Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.