Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

GMT Games» Forums » General

Subject: Wow GMT really did come though. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gmt [+] recession [+] [View All]
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I know that a post similar this was posted back in mid-Dec. but I have been without internet for quite some time and well honestly just don't get the library much to login...though I'm trying to make a habit of making about once a week now and heck I've been here twice this week! hehehe Hard to go without the geek for long periods of time, let me tell you.

I'm getting off track.

First off I'm proud to say that I am a GMT supporter. I can't say I love all their games as there are plenty of them that don't interest me. I do however own a few of them and Twilight Struggle is an amazing game if you ask me. I'm a supporter of their P500 program and think it's a great system. I have ordered via P500 and will again in the future. YES it does sometimes take a good bit of time to get your game no doubt about it but the games always arrive!

At this point however, I want to thank GMT Games officially right here as a recipient of the Tough Economy program games. It's not just that they were able to get me a couple cool games (though certainly that would be enough for me to write and express my extreme gratitude) but moreover the fact that I was able (though my girlfriend) get the games and have them given to my daughter. My daughter didn't have any idea that I knew they were coming and therefore the games were wrapped and given to me as gifts for both Christmas and well...the next is my upcoming birthday.

So see GMT really made Christmas special and now my daughter has something to give me for my birthday too! Times have been hard lately and it's been really nice to have a couple cool games to pour over.

If you are interested the games I received were:

Fields of Fire
Blackbeard

Thank you, one and all at GMT who made this possible. You guys truly ROCK!

J. Neil Edge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They hooked me up, too, with Twilight Struggle and Pacific Typhoon. Thank you very much, GMT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Love Twilight Struggle have fun with that one bro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Sohn
United States
culver city
CA
flag msg tools
Check out my class: https://www.canvas.net/courses/game-design-concepts
badge
How are you today?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough Economy Promo is for real.

I got two games my self.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Tough Economy program still going on? I tried to find it on their site but didn't see anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hung
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that was part of the Fall Specials which expired on November 30, 2008. Glad they took care of those of you able to send in for the Tough Economy program.

GMT was certainly very classy to do that, in fact I forward that offer to couple of my friends who were affected since they were gamers.

I'm a GMT supporter for sure. They are the only one where I have most of my P500 preorder.

--andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was privileged to receive their office copies of Here I Stand and Santa Fe Rails.
Classy folks, especially Tony Curtis. No, not THAT Tony, the one who works for GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree!!! GMT is a great company. Like all of us, not every game appeals to each of us...thats what makes us all different! Twilight Struggle only interested e slightly...but I just recently found a person wanting it just like you so i traded! I own many GMT games and will continue to order the ones that interest me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also concur. I'm sure it was a tough decision to release a solitiare game like FOF in a time like this. I know I grabbed my copy!!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if only their production quality standard was the same as their likability. Twilight Struggle deserves better treatment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarge77 wrote:
Now if only their production quality standard was the same as their likability. Twilight Struggle deserves better treatment.

Keep asking for it, that's the only way. Like the designer/publisher Bowen Simmons said in an interview, (going from memory here, not the actual quote)"why would a company invest in mounted board map when their fans are satisfied with paper maps."

So, if they can see that they would sell X more games if they had better components and that their fans also wants better components, then they'll make the switch GMT makes nice games, now they need to up their components quality(mainly the maps. Successors has a really nice one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Alex Raines
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, I'm somewhat new to board gaming and had signed up for the new Twilight Struggle reprint on P500 a few weeks ago and recently received an email from GMT about their latest sale. It also announced that the Tough Economy Program is back. I've got a job and would be screwed if I lost it. The fact that they have that program (and the 50% off that let me justify a big order) caused me to buy 4 games today. GMT rocks.

andrewh63 wrote:
I believe that was part of the Fall Specials which expired on November 30, 2008. Glad they took care of those of you able to send in for the Tough Economy program.

GMT was certainly very classy to do that, in fact I forward that offer to couple of my friends who were affected since they were gamers.

I'm a GMT supporter for sure. They are the only one where I have most of my P500 preorder.

--andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Seifert
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite company on the planet. From now on, all GMT games I buy will be directly from them. They deserve every penny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarge77 wrote:

Seriously, I'm totally happy with the production quality. The cards are hardy and will stand up to lots of play. With chit games like this, I want to use plexiglass....so the map being paper (or in this case card-board) is fine with me. I'd rather not have to pay extra for a mounted map-board that I really don't desire.

I really respect GMT for this promotion. I've supported them for a long time, but it stands out as a very classy move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a record time, but I'm still impressed at the speed at which this thread went from "I like this company." to paper vs. mounted maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarge77 wrote:

And the prolific wargame company that has a better standard of quality is....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
Thank you, one and all at GMT who made this possible. You guys truly ROCK!

They really do, don't they? Not many companies would even think of something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarge77 wrote:
Quiet now... You'll wake the trolls

Oh and +1 on all the kudos for GMT. They are a standout in both the quality of their games and their support of the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
Sarge77 wrote:
Quiet now... You'll wake the trolls

yeah, but their stone brains are durable, and so perhaps they retain what function they ever had longer.

I not sure Twilight deserves anything as its the least intelligent GMT CDG, possessed of a design as simple as it is inaccurate, and which teaches false lessons unforgivably. OTOH its subject is too big and sophisticated to begin to portray well. No one has attempted a similar design on the Second World War [or ever will, I think].

It would seem that poor GMT tried to answer those who make comments like this with Blackbeard: the slightly embarrassing over-production didn't so much detract from the game as add to the failure left over from the TAHGC edition. If you can bang in tent-pegs with game components then a level-headed troll with realise both producer and buyer are suffering the same problem, and making it worse for each other.

I looked at a copy of a Compass Games game yesterday [I think it was Bitter End], and it looked rather thrown-together compared to your average GMT product, with all that raw paper dumped in a cheap [ie. non-German] box, but of course they haven't been around very long.

That said, GMT really should have denied Unhappy King Charles its slightly rushed feel. It is probably the best one, and if you don't believe that check the comments: its a simple game they can't figure how to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kuntz
United States
Los AngelesUnspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
GMT is one class act, and has my support for all its help in this bad economy.

gregoryk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long did it take? I got an e-mail 2 weeks ago saying they'd ship two games to me and haven't seen anything yet. I don't want to be a jerk and holler "Hey! Where's my free stuff?" but I'm not sure if it was shipped to the wrong location or something or maybe it just takes a little while. I hate to press them when they're being so generous...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rockhpi wrote:
How long did it take? I got an e-mail 2 weeks ago saying they'd ship two games to me and haven't seen anything yet. I don't want to be a jerk and holler "Hey! Where's my free stuff?" but I'm not sure if it was shipped to the wrong location or something or maybe it just takes a little while. I hate to press them when they're being so generous...

Shouldn't take long. I'd recommend maybe sending a very polite email to GMT asking if they had shipped the package, that you are really looking forward to the games (as I know you are), and that you were simply worried that maybe something happened to them on the way to you.

They really are very lovely and good people who I genuinely feel are trying their best to offer excellent products and services to a customer base that they understand is small but quite dedicated to the hobby.

As the only two wargame companies I have really only ever dealt with are GMT and Columbia Games, I have had very little dealings with wargame companies as a whole, but I found that both of these game companies have outstanding customer service. Now that I think about it, I have also had nothing but good luck with FFG's customer support as well, along with other companies (I can't think of right now, heh).

I have found with even the aforementioned board game companies that although their products will very often miss components when shipped (or components are damaged), I have yet to encounter one *single* situation that wasn't thoroughly and quickly resolved by their customer service. (One time I received a very bad batch of stickers from Columbia for Rommel in the Desert and sent an email to them at 8PM on a Friday night. I actually received an emailed response from them 3 hours later (that's 11PM on Friday night folks!surprise ) that a replacement sheet would be sent out to me ASAP).

So, even though I got all tangential on Columbia Games, GMT has taken great care of me before as well and I guess my long spiel is basically that I recommend you simply send them a nice email asking about the situation and I am positive that they will take care of you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent a message, hopefully clearly explaining that I wasn't upset, just checking on status in case of a mistake. We'll see what's up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a very nice reply-they're running a little behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rockhpi wrote:
I got a very nice reply-they're running a little behind.

I knew they'd come through!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.