Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Partial use of expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm thinking of getting some of the expansions, but I'm wondering: is it possible to partially use an expansion?

For instance: is it possible to get the Dunwich expansion and play with all the extra investigators, items, encounters, and so on that add to the basic game, but without using the additional gameboard and the new concepts, or will this just make the game broken?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm a bit deterred from getting the expansions by the increased complexity of the game. Not that that's a bad thing, but it would be nice if you could enjoy some of the expansions' features without having to add that extra board...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can!

It's pretty easy just to split the contents of an expansion that you would like to use from the rest.

For exemple, you can use the investigators and some cards while not using the board like you said yourself.

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of Ancient Ones, from both Dunwich and Kingsport, have been designed so that they can be used without the expansion boards. Same with the KH Guardians and the Heralds (except the downloadable Dunwich Horror herald).

The Investigators can be used without any other part of the expansion, except a couple of them start with expansion Common or Unique items. But any or all of the expansion item cards can be used without the DH board.

I always use Dunwich's Injury and Madness card, no matter which expansions I'm using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The Definitive way to play Arkham Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StrangeLibrarian wrote:

For instance: is it possible to get the Dunwich expansion and play with all the extra investigators, items, encounters, and so on that add to the basic game, but without using the additional gameboard and the new concepts, or will this just make the game broken?

Depending on what you cut there might be some rough edges. Like you will get a train pass at the train station which has no function without the extra board. However, if you are willing to accept/fix these minor problems with a spontaneous house rule (ignore, redraw,....) it should work fine. No balance issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.