Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Thompson
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing Scenario C with Gary last night. We were flying through the game. I issued a banzai charge early and we hit 3 time markers before it was over! Crazy stuff! Then we had a rule question come up.

My question is what happens when you place a Suppression marker on a unit that has a Veteran marker?

I said that the Veteran marker and Suppression marker negate each other and the Veteran marker comes off the unit. Then Gary pointed out that a unit that attained Veteran status shouldn't lose it's veteran abilities merely because it has become suppressed. The numbers on both markers will negate each other as far as bonus' go, as well as the unit not being able to fire a weapon, but that is it. That made sense to me and I couldn't find a rule stating a Veteran marker is removed with a Suppression marker. I am pretty sure Gary got this one right and that is how we played it.

I have to also say that this scenario is really hard for the Japanese!! I usually can get a few units across the river, but I keep getting mowed down. I congratulate anyone who gets victory as the Japanses here!!! Send me your tips!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Gary was correct...the veteran and suppressed markers just stack as noted in 15.1 (Marker stacking limits.) A veteran marker can be removed only as listed in 4.1.3.

So as you note - a suppressed veteran unit just performs a bit better than a suppresed regular unit just as a veteran unit performs a bit better than a regular unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is in solo play on my table and I am just wondering how the Japs get across the river. I'm thinking that since the Japs hold more than one Charge card they can play the first one, activate several units that cover the width of the map, and see which Amis are activated for Op Fire. The Amis will not be able to activate units across the map AND retain large firegroups for when the second Charge card is played. If a Charge card is opposed by a large number of activated defenders, just move one unit one hex and terminate that activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't play two Charge orders in the same turn. The first one activates ALL previously-unactivated Japanese units. (second sentence of rule O25 and first sentence of rule O25.1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But old Beresford is onto something - card combinations. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Thompson
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like perhaps I play a Move Order on a group of units in order to draw an Op Fire from a particularly annoying machine gun nest. Then I could play a Charge Order and not have to worry about fire from that machine gun squad, since they have already been activated for the turn, and are not eligible to participate in the Op Fire against the Banzai Charge.
The units I played the Move order on would not participate in the charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You can't play two Charge orders in the same turn. The first one activates ALL previously-unactivated Japanese units

Whoops, that's a mistake I've just been saved from making. Unfortunately Chad couldn't save me from applying the airburst mod for Jungle and forgetting to add the compensating +2 Cover modifer in an earlier scenario

Anyhow here's another thought. If you do enough dieing, you might get a chance to pick a Mortar with smoke off the reinforcement table. Or pick a sighting marker as a reinforcement and wait till it lands across the river.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.