United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
I'm sitting in a meeting right now and all that's being said is, "Blah blah blah."

I hate sitting in pointless meetings when I have things that need to get done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clandaith wrote:
I'm sitting in a meeting right now and all that's being said is, "Blah blah blah."

Sounds like ChitChat! So what's the problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
clandaith wrote:

Sounds like ChitChat! So what's the problem?

Well, when you want ChitChat, it's great! But, I don't want ChitChat at work when my list of things to do is so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like mucking around on BGG, right?

I'm amazed (jealous!) at how many geeks can get away with it, my company block all non-business related sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Like mucking around on BGG, right?

Exactly! Wait...isn't that what I'm doing now? Is this really a stupid meeting???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clandaith wrote:

I hate sitting in pointless meetings when I have things that need to get done.

Was there pudding and did anyone stick anything in it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever been to a meeting that couldn't have been summed up in a 2-paragraph email? I've yet to experience one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:

Was there pudding and did anyone stick anything in it?

Not yet, but there is still plenty of life left in this meeting!

Maybe I should just say something like, "I understand what your saying, but I would rather stick my dick in some pudding."

I'm sure that will end this meeting fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
It's over! Finally. Now, back to my important stuff...reading the rules for Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Has anyone ever been to a meeting that couldn't have been summed up in a 2-paragraph email? I've yet to experience one.

I stated something similar to this in another thread a while back. I got reamed for it though!!

I do believe that the majority of meetings are a waste of time. But with no meetings, what would the bosses do all day??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't actually witness this end to a "very important meeting" but apparently at one meeting, one employee got up and punched the manager. Meeting over. Of course, for one person. Job over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Robins
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what line of work you are in, but let me guess:

1. Hideous Powerpoint slides that someone is reading word for word
2. Overuse of buzzwords and catch phrases
3. The noisy, annoying one who likes to hear their voice asking questions that are already answered on the handouts
4. Some group scolding or haranguing about something those people have no control over
5. People deciding to interject random items that they didn't bother to get on the agenda
6. Information presented would have been better shared in a memo or email, but now that you are all together, they will spend more time restating the same information so that the meeting can expand to fill the time alloted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Silly geeks.

The purpose of meetings is not to disseminate information, but for weak or controlling managers to exert more control.

Either that or someone is messing up, everyone knows who it is, but a weak manager is too wussy to address the person messing up directly.

Stupid meetings = control freak managers or weak managers or both.

There are a few meetings, typically small, where actual sensible decisions are made. We have them every once in a while. They don't even have to involve a single member of management either.

But yeah, most meetings are not real meetings, but ceremonies: How about those huge status meetings, where every attendee, in order, justifies his existence to the grand moolah? Or the 50+ participant conference calls, where everyone claims that they are not to blame for the problem of the day, while they work hard at avoiding being assign to solve the problem?

I'm glad I don't work at a place full of those anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.