3 Posts

De Rode Ridder» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Backing my opinion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duclas Swanborn
Belgium
flag msg tools
Ah, as a new member of this lovely geeky community this should be a dream: writing a review of a game nobody seems to have played yet.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a good reason nobody's played this game.
On the box you get the ultimate promise you can make to a 8-year old boy who had already heard about dungeons and dragons and had passed the hero-quest box in the store plenty of times. But, as it were, i decided to get this before hero-quest (oh stupido mio!)

Well, more about the "ultimate promise".
Adventure?
- check-
Unlimited scenario's?
-check-
Magic, swords and monsters?
-check-
Beautiful art?
-check-

But let me tell you: there is nothing as low and wicked as lying to an 8-year old, and the designers of the game did just that.

Was there adventure?
Well, if you're playing the main character (the red knight): no. You were so unbeatable, so grosily overpowered compared to the other characters that adventuring in group left the others wondering why they had even bothered to come. Every encounter is just too easy to even call it an adventure. Seeing how this comic-book character is probably not known worldwide, I'll make a comparison with Superman. Imagine a board game based on Superman, and somebody is playing Superman, while the others play Louis Lane, Jimmy and Clark's parents. Woohoo!

Were there unlimited scenario's?
No. 4 boards of the same size can be combined in 12 ways, that's it. random encounters should make up for this, but they are often so irrelevant that the change is barely noticable.

Magic, swords and monsters?
OK, this part of the promise was kept: there are swords in here, the occasional magic random encounter is in, and monsters emerge all the time.

Amazing art?
This was probably the worst lie on the box: many richly colored cards translated into cards with a red back and a white front with red print on them. What, not black you say? Indeed, red, which makes it all ok I guess.
The board-parts were not on carton, but on hard paper, which means the slightest fold stays in there permanently, so now there's a pattern on one of them looking very much like somebody tried to make a paper airplane out of it.

So, to wrap it up: I was lied to as a child, and I never managed to forgive the makers for this. It's ok to make a crappy game just as long as you make up for it somehow: at least mousetrap had that entire machine going on...

I think I'm one of the few players in the world to have actually played this, so you'll have to trust me on this instead of comparing with other reviews:
Do not buy this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Swanborn wrote:

Well, if you're playing the main character (the red knight): no. You were so unbeatable, so grosily overpowered compared to the other characters that adventuring in group left the others wondering why they had even bothered to come. Every encounter is just to easy to even call it an adventure. Seeing how this comic-book character is probably not known worldwide, I'll make a comparison with Superman. Imagine a board game based on Superman, and somebody is playing Superman, while the others play Louis Lane, Jimmy and Clark's parents. Woohoo!

never played this game..but point is eloquently put. Doesn't sound like a quality gaming experience for anyone involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Vandermeulen
Belgium
Herent
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooooh I remember this one!
I got it for christmas when I was about 8.
My dad had the entire collection of the comics up to that point, I kinda became a fan.

I was not into gaming back then so I dind't really play it.
I remember the "pawns" were extremly flimsy paper standups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.