Popular Tags: covet [+] [View All]
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Originally posted on my blog at http://kanga.nu/~claw/blog/2009/01/08/game-tangent/vanity-ex...

Motions are still (slowly) under way toward releasing/publishing my older Age of Steam maps. A skilled artist is working on rendering the maps in far slicker form than my Inkscape scribbles. We've also started toward determining the supply chain etc.

There are five maps in the pipeline, the first three of which are Wales, South-East Australia and Denmark. None of this so far should be huge news...except that I'm now also releasing the full text of the rules for each design.

Age of Steam: Wales

Age of Steam: Wales is geared for 3 or 4 players and introduces track gauges to Age of Steam. Players select either narrow or standard gauge track when building track and must also manage their Links between narrow and standard gauge for deliveries.

* ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/users/claw/odd/games/AoS/Wales/rules.pdf" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Rules for Age of Steam: Wales

Age of Steam: South-East Australia

Age of Steam: South-East Australia was designed for 4 or 5 players and is the first map of a series which introduces a significantly new economic system to Age of Steam that makes for a simpler and yet deeper, nastier and more dramatic game pattern.

* ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/users/claw/odd/games/AoS/SEAustralia/rule..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Rules for Age of Steam: South-East Australia

Age of Steam: Denmark

Age of Steam: Denmark was targeted for 3 or 4 players and is the next step with that new economic system and adds the notion of limited train availability (borrowed from the 18xx). Age of Steam: Denmark may also be the first Age of Steam map which actively encourages highly dramatic hail mary victories. Leaping come-from-behind victories in Age of Steam: Denmark are quite possible if well planned.

* ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/users/claw/odd/games/AoS/Denmark/rules.pd..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Rules for Age of Steam: Denmark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, JC, and thanks for posting these. I am an Age of Steam neophyte but one of the things that most attracts me to AoS is the vast expandability and the ability to play on new maps with rules tweaks such as yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Lawnjob wrote:
Congratulations, JC, and thanks for posting these.

Thanks mate.

I've also updated the Denmark rules with examples as some are having difficulty understanding exactly how Link increases work in that system. Those are the first examples I've put in any of my game rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Even more AoS maps I will buy and then never play.

Seriously, though, this is pretty good news. Any chance we can get a hint as to who will be selling these, and when we could ballpark expect to see them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
AnakinOU wrote:
Seriously, though, this is pretty good news. Any chance we can get a hint as to who will be selling these, and when we could ballpark expect to see them?

There's still quite a bit up in the air there. I don't yet have the final art for all the maps and there's some debate over production and packaging with Central America and Isle of Wight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very very much like Wales.The double tracks and double loco makes for some tough decisions, and score reduction cutoffs every 5 remove that 'I lose a point thanks to you giving me a point' spots of the other maps. korea is still my favourite, but wales is right there at second place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bazik123 wrote:
I very very much like Wales.

Thanks Mike. I also appreciate all the hard work and highly detailed reports you sent me from your play testing!

Quote:
The double tracks and double loco makes for some tough decisions, and score reduction cutoffs every 5 remove that 'I lose a point thanks to you giving me a point' spots of the other maps.

Yep. I suspect a few will also be surprised that income reduction starts at $5 instead of $10.

Quote:
Korea is still my favourite, but Wales is right there at second place.

Cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the effort to get these published. You'd have to put a pretty heavy price on them to make me pass these maps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
msaari wrote:
Thanks for taking the effort to get these published.

You're most welcome!

Quote:
You'd have to put a pretty heavy price on them to make me pass these maps...

Ahem. Such an offer!

FWIW the debate here is on packaging, whether to do a Wales/South-East Australia combo (as I'd intended when I designed them) and then a Central-America/Denmark/Isle of Wight triptych, or to just put them all together as a 5-set. It is almost certain that I'll not get New South Wales or Romania finished to go even larger.

Poll
How should I package the maps?
Each map individually (price will be significantly higher)
Two packages, one of 2 and one of 3 maps (the medium-price choice)
One package with everything (the low-price choice)
      49 answers
Poll created by clearclaw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'll buy all of them anyhow, so I'd go with one package, especially if that means lower price per map.

I'd also appreciate something that folds small enough to fit in the box. Anything larger is significantly harder to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted to bundle them, but I don't know how big a difference between the second and the third choice. If it's a small difference per map I might split them up to make it more accessible, but if it's a large difference I'd say bundle them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

I'd also appreciate something that folds small enough to fit in the box. Anything larger is significantly harder to use.

Agreement.

I know you're biased toward single sheets, but single sheets are a huge nuisance to me and to be usable I would prefer 11x17 sheets at the largest, folded 11x17 sheets being the ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
I voted to bundle them, but I don't know how big a difference between the second and the third choice. If it's a small difference per map I might split them up to make it more accessible, but if it's a large difference I'd say bundle them.

A good point. I would also prefer to be able to choose which maps I want to purchase rather than having to buy them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
CortexBomb wrote:
I know you're biased toward single sheets, but single sheets are a huge nuisance to me and to be usable I would prefer 11x17 sheets at the largest, folded 11x17 sheets being the ideal.

One thing I can promise is that they won't be single sheet. There is a (small) question between having the smaller sheets folded in half or not. My tendency is to not fold them. Figure a form-factor akin to AoS:London/Sun as likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a vote then I say bundle them all.

I certainly prefer smaller maps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, the size does limit how much the expansion gets played in real life. I don't ever leave home with any expansions that don't fit in the original box (or the new expansions box). for this reason I am also not that hot on the mounted boards - nice they may be, but they take a lot of room. my HUGE wales and especially australia board is tucked away somewhere behing a shelf, and it's so much simpler to choose something that's in the box than remember what bigger stuff is out there somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Large maps are sort of a pain, which is why my Sun/London and other large maps are cut into pieces and have tape hinges added. That way they fit nicely into the standard box (with an edge trimmed perhaps) but are also just as useable as before when laid out (no additional floating pieces).

Thus from my perspective, not folding them makes it easier to cut them

Any news or updates on these releases? Always interested in new maps.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Hillenius
Netherlands
Hoogland (Amersfoort)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These maps seem very interesting. Any news on getting them released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.