Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was sucked in by the Obama theme of this game, and on sale it was a pretty good deal.

In the box I got a pack of fairly sturdy cards and an instruction booklet, which was cut off on one side. It appeared to have been cut from strips and stapled together. I can forgive this, given that this is the first production from this company.

The game consists of 6 cards representing regions of the country. Each card has a number of each of 4 different symbols on the bottom. These are named:

Politic - O!
Charism - O!
Finianci - O!
and
Media - O!

Each region has a point value as well. On your turn you draw a card, then start a new "campaign" (read: stack of cards) or add a card to an existing campaign. The cards are cleverly designed in such a way that you can stack them on top of each other to see how many symbols you have for that campaign.

Once you have enough symbols you can claim the region card for that campaign, discarding the cards it took to claim it.

If this was all there were to the game I'd say this game was not worth getting, however there are some twists to the game which make it worth playing.

There are "Yes We Can!" cards (which contain 1 of each symbol) and will let you take a card from another player and place it back on the board or take it if you have a campaign which matches the symbols. Another one of these cards allows you to steal a card from a campaign of an opponent. Another allows you to skip someone's turn.

There are some cards which also function as "state insurance", allowing you to protect one of your states from one state takeover attempt.

Once all states have been taken then the person with the most points wins. If there's a tie, the "absentee ballot" card is placed on the table and each player involved in the tie must pony up a state, then count to three and try to grab the card. Whoever does wins the tie.

There should be three rounds of this, with the points added together to determine the winner.

Each game takes about 10-15 minutes once you've got the mechanics down. At first I thought maybe it was too simple, but I'm actually quite impressed at the mechanics and the strategic possibilities. The artwork is also very humorous.

Overall Impression:
* Fun, light, easy to get people to play. Especially Obama Fans!
* Good strategic elements.

I'd suggest this if you've got a spouse, friend, etc who likes Obama and who likes games. It's as easy to teach as rummy, but has much more depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is enough to make me steer clear. One can only stomach so much self-congratulatory pap before getting nauseous.

Nice review, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
The theme is enough to make me steer clear. One can only stomach so much self-congratulatory pap before getting nauseous.

Nice review, though!

How much defeated bitterness can one stomach before getting nauseous, I wonder?

Randy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipp wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Nice review, though!

Randy...

I almost feel like you completed his argument with your own set of bitterness and anger. Strange
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for the good review! Sorry that I didn't read it and its comments with the realization that it would bring out a certain political tinge to the comments. Had I done so, I might have resisted contributing to the pollution of your thread.

Keep up the good work!

Randy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like the game was probably designed and then rethemed to capitalize on all the Obama-mania.

So the other commenters here could probably just print out stickers with pictures of Jesse Helms or George Wallace or whatever and play it that way instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's nice to see that my expectations weren't wrong - like clockwork they were. Impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did your expectation have something to do with a bunch of political partisans jumping in and flaming a perfectly decent review?

Then yeah, spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
banyan wrote:
It sounds like the game was probably designed and then rethemed to capitalize on all the Obama-mania.

So the other commenters here could probably just print out stickers with pictures of Jesse Helms or George Wallace or whatever and play it that way instead.

Why stop there? Why not make a Coulter - The Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Malthus wrote:
rshipp wrote:

Randy...

= Twat

Oooh I hadn't realised that word had made it across the Atlantic to the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's been here for quite a while. I think over here it's much more offensive than back in England, though, almost up there with "see you next Tuesday".

In other words, not exactly conducive to civilized discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Monster
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine review. I would just suggest that you indicate how many people you played with and if the number of people affected game play. I see that it is a 2-4 person game, and based upon your description of play it seems like it might be an entertaining two player filler - is that the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ware
United States
Prairieville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
worst...president/game...ever.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played the game or just looked into the future?

Or--for "worst president ever"-- were you thinking of a game with a different name on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Nice review, though!

Maybe you should also steer clear from rating a game you've never played. Real mature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Nice review, though!

I was unaware of the fact that the President O. was the designer. How cool! Does that make him the "Designer and Chief". I did hear that Pres. Bush is the "designificator".

What can I say pilling on is fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
signjc wrote:
Fine review. I would just suggest that you indicate how many people you played with and if the number of people affected game play. I see that it is a 2-4 person game, and based upon your description of play it seems like it might be an entertaining two player filler - is that the case?

It was a 2 player game. And yes, I'd say it's definitely an entertaining filler.

I understand people's political views are something they feel strongly about, and it was not my intention to start a political firestorm. I simply wanted to let people know who are interested about this game.

To those of you who don't like Obama, I say this the nicest possible way, this is game 40,141. There are 40,140 games that don't have to do with this and perhaps you should peruse those threads instead of politically attacking the thematic material of this game.

The designer was not out to get you, or make you feel bad. My belief is they were out to capitalize on the Obama excitement and make a game out of it. They succeeded, and the game is worth getting unless you really don't like him.

To paraphrase the posting rules:
* Use common courtesy in your posts
* Respect others

That is all. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starbuck
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was it made in the U.S.?

...just wondering...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh...
shake

I'm sorely tempted to break my self-imposed ban on "1" shill ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Ugh...
shake

I'm sorely tempted to break my self-imposed ban on "1" shill ratings.

I hope you're not referring to me. I am not a schill. I am a gamer who has almost 300 games (take a look at my collection). I was not given this game for free, I paid for it. I thought people might be interested in it as when it was first posted there was no information from players.

I'm still unsure as to why one review of a game can cause so much animosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Nice review, though!

Maybe you should also steer clear from rating a game you've never played. Real mature.

Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions? I rarely log plays and I was able to see this game played at my local FLGS a few times, and definitely enough to rate it. It's worth the score of 1 that I gave it, imho - I can't stand Rummy-style games and the theme is patently stupid and an obvious attempt to cash-in on the Obama hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Websteria wrote:
I hope you're not referring to me. I am not a schill.

Absolutely not!
I thought your review was quite good, actually. I'm just tired of the Obama media/money machine. I jumped on BGG to get away from political news, and this game is the first thing I see on the front page.

Sorry for shooting the messenger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieg
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Jeff and all others on this thread,

My name is Kurt Bieg, and I am the actual game designer for the Obama game. First off, thank you thank you thank you for taking a look at our game. I can't tell you how awesome it is to have someone spend time reviewing a game that, as you can apparently see, can easily be passed off for trivial political merchandise.

A bit about the game design, and the apparent discussion about the game. When I signed on to work on this project my main concern was that after people buy the game because of the Obama hype, they would only really play it maybe one time, expecting it to be more style than substance. Instead, I wanted people to be surprised at the game and how much fun the game is to play. This is why we spent so much time on the satirical art on each card, the humorous content, and the solid gameplay. I designed it to be simple enough for anyone to play, but complex and deep enough to satisfy the hard core strategist. Hearing you recognize these aspects of the game is a true reward for me and our whole team.

We really took making this game very seriously. Lets face it, honestly, what would it accomplish for us to make a game that so many people would buy only to leave them dissapointed? So, we spent a lot of time crafting the game. Making sure each card is an entertaining satire, ensuring that the gameplay would stand up to the content and the reputation of the upcoming president, and as a game designer, ensuring that above all else, this would be an opportunity to establish ourselves and build our reputation for making great games.

Thanks again for your feedback, and to everyone here who has looked at this game with an open mind. I'll be around, feel free to message me with any questions or comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Websteria wrote:
I hope you're not referring to me. I am not a schill.

Absolutely not!
I thought your review was quite good, actually. I'm just tired of the Obama media/money machine. I jumped on BGG to get away from political news, and this game is the first thing I see on the front page.

And, seeing an article title that you knew without any doubt was going to piss you off, you just couldn't help clicking? "It hurts when I stick this spork into my leg, but I just -- OW!! -- keep doing it!"

Don't worry, I do it all the time. When I go read comments on some political websites where I know the "other side" hangs out or tune in for a few minutes of one of their media pundits, I call it "irritainment."

Randy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipp wrote:
And, seeing an article title that you knew without any doubt was going to piss you off, you just couldn't help clicking?

I know, I know...

rshipp wrote:
"irritainment."

Ha! I love it!
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.