Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revised FAQ Posted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found on the FFG BSG website:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battlestar_Gal...
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still doesn't really answer the question of WHY you don't have to give the sympathizer card up if you're a revealed Cylon. Cory told me it could be because you might not want to create another Cylon, thus keeping any potential win for yourself but it seems like it causes more rules issues than it's worth to not just say "you MUST give it up."

By rules issues I'm referring to how the Sympathizer Card's test works - it can force you to go to the Brig which is not possible for Revealed Cylons, thus breaking the rules of the Sympathizer Card's test. Easily resolved by just stating, "must be passed off if you're a revealed Cylon."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: Under what conditions does Lee Adama have to use his “Headstrong” ability?
A: Whenever he is forced to discard cards. This includes discarding down to 10 cards at the end of a player’s turn, and when required to do so by a Crisis card. It does not include when he discards a card to move between ships.


What??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Still doesn't really answer the question of WHY you don't have to give the sympathizer card up if you're a revealed Cylon. Cory told me it could be because you might not want to create another Cylon, thus keeping any potential win for yourself but it seems like it causes more rules issues than it's worth to not just say "you MUST give it up."

By rules issues I'm referring to how the Sympathizer Card's test works - it can force you to go to the Brig which is not possible for Revealed Cylons, thus breaking the rules of the Sympathizer Card's test. Easily resolved by just stating, "must be passed off if you're a revealed Cylon."


I'm not sure I get your point. A revealed Cylon is ineligible to go to any non-Cylon location, so it's not breaking any rule. It's providing the Cylons a strategic choice. If they don't know who the other Cylon is or don't think they know, they can eat the card and not accidentally create a lame Cylon instead of a regular one. That's a benefit for the Humans as well, since it means that the Cylon is choosing to reduce the opposition against them around 1/4th-1/5th of the time for at least a few turns (the Sympathizer would have to use Caprica to give up their "real" Cylon card).

It's not really broken, just not well explained.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Q: Under what conditions does Lee Adama have to use his “Headstrong” ability?
A: Whenever he is forced to discard cards. This includes discarding down to 10 cards at the end of a player’s turn, and when required to do so by a Crisis card. It does not include when he discards a card to move between ships.


What??


They're basically saying that when you move between ships you're not discarding, but playing the card for no value. Again, poorly explained, but it's a "meh." Apollo may not be the best character to be moving between ships anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason behind this is because people will choose other pilots over apollo due to the skill cards he'd lose going in and out of the ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules wrote:
The current player may move to a different location. If he moves to a different ship (from Galactica to Colonial One or vice versa), he must discard one Skill
Card from his hand.



Well, the rules are perfectly clear on this, yet it's not in the errata section. I'm still not sure what to think. Maybe the interaction of that ability with movement just didn't occur to them? (But then it's errata.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Scythe
United States
California
flag msg tools
To their credit, moving from one ship to another requires a discard of one card, like a cost. Lee's Headstrong disability states "when you are forced to discard a card". He is not forced to move from one ship to another, and if he is sent to the brig or sickbay from a different ship no discard is required.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules specifically say that if you move like that, you "must" discard a card. That's even more than the crises say.

I agree though. The rules for movement should be worded differently ("You may discard a card to move between ships"), so I guess that could explain why it doesn't count as errata.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Konieczka
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all of the feedback.

Robert Scythe wrote:
To their credit, moving from one ship to another requires a discard of one card, like a cost. Lee's Headstrong disability states "when you are forced to discard a card". He is not forced to move from one ship to another, and if he is sent to the brig or sickbay from a different ship no discard is required.


This is absolutely my reasoning. No other ability is forcing him to discard, he is choosing to do it in order to move between ships.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, cool. I appreciate the quick clarification!

I had thought that drawback was specifically to discourage him from just landing on Galactica and relaunching via Command every turn to get free vipers. This change makes him noticeably better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
The Rules wrote:
The current player may move to a different location. If he moves to a different ship (from Galactica to Colonial One or vice versa), he must discard one Skill
Card from his hand.


Well, the rules are perfectly clear on this, yet it's not in the errata section. I'm still not sure what to think. Maybe the interaction of that ability with movement just didn't occur to them? (But then it's errata.)


Oddly, it does not list landing from a viper in that example, which caused me a little confusion at one point. It says elsewhere (probably under Piloting A Viper) that if you land, you hve to discard a card (and can land anywhere you want).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ wrote:
Q: What happens if all 4 Centurion tokens are on the board and a Heavy Raider at a Viper launch icon is activated?
A: The heavy Raider is not removed from the board since a Centurion cannot be placed (due to component restrictions).

This is interesting... it's the opposite of what was posted here
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The new FAQ indicates that if a deck is exhausted - not actually all that unlikely, if people (or toasters) decide to hoard cards, then players can't draw them anymore. I imagine the Destiny deck simply won't get them either (of course... I mean where would they come from?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
FAQ wrote:
Q: What happens if all 4 Centurion tokens are on the board and a Heavy Raider at a Viper launch icon is activated?
A: The heavy Raider is not removed from the board since a Centurion cannot be placed (due to component restrictions).

This is interesting... it's the opposite of what was posted here



I am confused. If there are 4 centurion tokens on the board and you need to get one more, you have lost the game.

There are only 4 tokens because you dont need 5, the fifth placement is ignored and just means humans lose.

So that ruling would mean the humans could never lose by boarding parties? And all heavy raiders can be ignored.

Am I missing something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
FAQ wrote:
Q: What happens if all 4 Centurion tokens are on the board and a Heavy Raider at a Viper launch icon is activated?
A: The heavy Raider is not removed from the board since a Centurion cannot be placed (due to component restrictions).

This is interesting... it's the opposite of what was posted here



I am confused. If there are 4 centurion tokens on the board and you need to get one more, you have lost the game.

There are only 4 tokens because you dont need 5, the fifth placement is ignored and just means humans lose.

So that ruling would mean the humans could never lose by boarding parties? And all heavy raiders can be ignored.

Am I missing something?


Yes, the boarding parties don't fill up the track in the way you describe. Any newly added boarding parties are always placed on the start space. Whenver heavy raiders are activated, any boarding parties on the board move one space towards the "humans lose" space. If any reach it, then the humans lose.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Suwanda
Switzerland
Uznach
SG
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It just says that the heavy Raider stays where it is since it cannot 'unload' a Centurion marker. Still the boarded Centurions 'move' along the track.
Quote:
Whenever there are any centurion tokens on the
Boarding Party track and heavy raiders are activated (even
by a revealed Cylon player), each centurion token moves one
space towards the “Humans Lose” space.


So imagine the humans fight off one of the four Centurions so the marker will be available for placement in a future 'activate heavy raider' step since the heavy Raider is still parked in front of Galactica.

That situation can arrise when multiple heavy raiders have hit Galactica in previous rounds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

Each token is a boarding party. They aren't used to just fill up the spaces on the track.

The boarding parties start on the first space and march towards the last space. If two boarding parties land at once, they both start on the first space - not one fills one space, and the next fills the second space (I think - someone needs to clarify for me since I don't have the rulebook directly in front of me).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
FAQ wrote:
Q: What happens if all 4 Centurion tokens are on the board and a Heavy Raider at a Viper launch icon is activated?
A: The heavy Raider is not removed from the board since a Centurion cannot be placed (due to component restrictions).

This is interesting... it's the opposite of what was posted here



I am confused. If there are 4 centurion tokens on the board and you need to get one more, you have lost the game.

There are only 4 tokens because you dont need 5, the fifth placement is ignored and just means humans lose.

So that ruling would mean the humans could never lose by boarding parties? And all heavy raiders can be ignored.

Am I missing something?

Centurion markers represent individual raiders. They can be stacked (if multiple raider board the same time) and must be destroyed individually. The game ends when any one of them reaches the fifth spot (there can be gaps between centurion markers, depending on when they boarded the ship and how far previous centurions have advanced.)

When heavy raiders are activated, any centurion markers aboard the ship advance 1 space closer to the end of the track. Even a single centurion aboard the ship can defeat the humans if it is ignored.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ok thanks, totally played that wrong

Now it makes sense thanks. Not sure how I missed that in the rules, but always assumed 5 centurions = game over. Getting rid of centurions seems much more important now (not that humans win much anyway )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Still doesn't really answer the question of WHY you don't have to give the sympathizer card up if you're a revealed Cylon. Cory told me it could be because you might not want to create another Cylon, thus keeping any potential win for yourself but it seems like it causes more rules issues than it's worth to not just say "you MUST give it up."

The "may" in the printed rule (below) seems more likely to refer to the choice of which player the Cylon gives it to, not the choice of whether to keep it or give it give it away.
Sympathizer Rules wrote:
If he is a revealed Cylon player, then he may first give the card to any other player (who then immediately resolves it).

Although it maybe could be worded a little different/better, the fact that you must give it away to someone is implied. You just get choose who gets it.


The later clarification (which I haven't actually seen, but have heard mentioned by others) that the revealed Cylon can choose to keep it instead of giving it away only really gives a minor strategic choice for that player if all of the necessary circumstances line up exactly right:
1) They were dealt a Cylon card at the start of the game
2) They revealed themselves before the Sleeper Phase
3) They were dealt the Sympathizer card during the Sleeper Phase
4) All of the resouce dials are in the blue at the Sleeper Phase

If all of those lined up, the only reason to keep it would be so that player could "go it alone" and win without help. If even one of those four things didn't happen, keeping the card would be pointless and/or not even an option. I haven't bothered working out the odds, but I can't imagine that precise situation being very common - maybe one out of fifty or one out of a hundred games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rule is that as a revealed Cylon you don't have to pass off the Sympathizer card immediately, it creates a weird situational problem. This is because Corey ruled that when you use the Resurrection Ship to pass off your unrevealed card(s) to any player, should you have two unrevealed cards, you must give them both away.

Imagine this (highly improbable, but still possible) scenario. It's a 6 player game. As Baltar, you receive two Cylon loyalty cards initially. You reveal before the Sleeper Agent phase. During the Sleeper agent phase, you happen to receive the Sympathizer card. If you play that Baltar doesn't have to immediately pass the Sympathizer, there's a huge problem when he goes to use the Resurrection Ship to pass off both his other two cards. What does the player do who receives a Cylon loyalty card AND the Sympathizer card simultaneously? Do they become a weak Cylon or an actual Cylon? (Additionally, if players see that the Sympathizer card wasn't played right away, then they know who has the Sympathizer card, making this rule very pointless - unless there are already 2 revealed Cylons.)

I think that the rule is that the Revealed Cylon HAS to give away the Sympathizer card IMMEDIATELY. The other way to play it just leads to potential problems...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mateusz, the sympathizer card isn't an unrevealed loyalty card because it's already revealed.

Kyle, it's also a strategic choice if one of the resources is in the red. Maybe you just don't want to brig someone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Mateusz, the sympathizer card isn't an unrevealed loyalty card because it's already revealed.

Kyle, it's also a strategic choice if one of the resources is in the red. Maybe you just don't want to brig someone.


Right, in a game where they may be another unreavealed Cylon, you might accidentally Brig your partner!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arkibet wrote:
SevenSpirits wrote:
Mateusz, the sympathizer card isn't an unrevealed loyalty card because it's already revealed.

Kyle, it's also a strategic choice if one of the resources is in the red. Maybe you just don't want to brig someone.


Right, in a game where they may be another unreavealed Cylon, you might accidentally Brig your partner!
True, but that's a risk you have to take any time there are two or more Cylons in the game - and not just when dealing with the Sympathizer card.

If anything, throwing your partner in the brig via that card could be more helpful than harmful because it could throw the suspicion on someone else. Plus, think of all the extra skill cards the other players will waste trying to get that player out and/or keep them in...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.