Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: We are NOT going criminals anymore!!! Sensible change to the toy law. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
CSPC changes and updates its intentions. Resellers exempt. Weird government makes a sensible change. The rest of the post is left as original for tracking purposes.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

32 Days till we (USA) are all criminals and BGG is revealed as a criminal enterprise.

Do you like to thrift board games? In 32 days, forget about it, they will all go to the landfill. Jati, Fireball Island, and Dark Tower just got a lot more valuable.

The Weekly Thrift lists will be a thing of the past, except in outside the USA.

I am a long time BGG member who likes to thrift and trade games, sometimes selling, but soon, I don't think any of us in the USA will be able to do that.

Well, I wish this was a troll post, but it is not.

I wish it was a joke, but it is not.

In 32 days (Feb 10) the law mandating the testing for lead of all products intended for children 12 and under will take effect in the USA and criminalize the sale/resale (trading MAY be exempt) of games. If the game says anything indicating kids less than 13 can play it, expect to be effected by this, piece of **** (pick your favorite expletive) law.

There is no way this testing can be done on any kind of cost effective basis for used/resold things. Not on a chain store level, and especially not on an individual level.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,20...

BGG could be considered a criminal enterprise if it doesn't change its game selling policies. Ebay will loose a fortune in lost sales. Thrift stores will loose much of their business. Charitable thrifts like Goodwill, Salvation Army, hospital thrifts, church thrifts will loose tremendous income and/or have to shut down. Children's resale stores like Once Upon a Child will have to lock their doors and declare bankruptcy. Hundreds of thousands of tons of games, toys, devices, and clothes will now be considered hazardous waste will have to go to landfills if you want to resell them. This will cause extensive job losses.

Yard sales will be considered criminal activities that police investigate, because if you are selling your child's old jeans, you are a criminal. Since there are asset forfeiture laws now, they will take your house because you are using it to resell kids clothing which might contain lead. That's really Green isn't it. Just what the already reeling economy needs.

Everyone here that will be effected needs to call up their congress people and send them a clear message that this law needs to be stopped.

This post sounds crazy. I assure you it is NOT you, it is reality that is malfunctioning. I really hope it is stopped before this horrible reality comes crashing down upon us.

I want to resell games. I want to buy resold, old, oop games. This law is terrible. I also think it will be hard to enforce, but they will come after places like BGG. Large collectives have money, and they will come after that.

You don't think they will come for you?

Then they came for the people reselling board games....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom L
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do you want to (re)sell board games, your a criminal in the USA in 32 days...
Resellers are exempt (since the goods are used and not new). It's still not a great law, but there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do you want to (re)sell board games, your a criminal in the USA in 32 days...
Key point here:

Chessjester wrote:

"The new law requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children’s products made after February 10 meet all the new safety standards and the lead ban."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have to re-start the panicking in EVERY forum on this site?

snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed it if it was in another forum, and from what I read it was all products, and resellers were NOT exempt.

I'll have to do more digging.

If you have the link to the previous posting please post a link and this thread can be closed.

Thank you for all the replies.

Sincerely,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Link

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

Wow, that make sense, and I like the new law, with that change. Resellers exempt. This was just published yesterday according to their website and I posted this after working it up Monday.

Thank you all who posted. I'm changing the title.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
minionhunter wrote:
I'm changing the title.

To "Chicken Little Strikes Again!" perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn! I was to offer free shipping on this new item:

Old Ral Partha D&D miniatures from the 70s-80s all in GREAT condition. All the rare miniatures, total of 1000 miniatures loose.

Shipping in 33 days, US only.* Buy now for 200$

* Due to new US regulation, all items containing lead will be removed before shipping.

Then I only need to ship an empty box.... Darn, I got caught! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Martin Niemoeller's poem put to excellent use. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears the clarification came out yesterday, at least as far as I can tell. I was writing this for a while and missed the update, so yeah, bad post. Then I corrected it, and it wasn't wrong with the initial wording of the law before the clarification. So, someone who admits a mistake, and corrects it should be insulted? I feel sorry for you.

Ward wrote:
minionhunter wrote:
I'm changing the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that you've admitted you made a mistake, why is a comparison to a fictional character who also made a mistake an insult?

minionhunter wrote:
It appears the clarification came out yesterday, at least as far as I can tell. I was writing this for a while and missed the update, so yeah, bad post. Then I corrected it, and it wasn't wrong with the initial wording of the law before the clarification. So, someone who admits a mistake, and corrects it should be insulted? I feel sorry for you.

Ward wrote:
minionhunter wrote:
I'm changing the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not good news for China, but it is good news for the United States!

Thank goodness, no more lead, and hopefully it also includes testing for melamine,

mold, toxic chemicals and paints and goodness knows whatever else the American

public has been subjected to by the very low standards and criminal behavior of the

Chinese manufacturers.

Just how many products have been recalled in the USA of Chinese manufacture?

It is hard to keep track of the number!

If you are a parent and have been buying any products designed and manufactured by

the Chinese for your child, that is a real danger to your kid!

In just the past weeks cribs and high chairs have been recalled becz they are of

inferior construction and/or dangerous design.

Wonder what they were painted with???

Kudos for this new regulation!!! It is a benefit for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't got that far, but the new wording makes it OK. As much as I am for hands off government, there should be some regulations to prevent predation by unscrupulous persons/companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To dyfrigi - I didn't say it wasn't accurate. I guess if you like to pick on people, well done. The previous posters I think did enough, but if you feel the need to lambaste me further, I can't stop you. I just feel sorry for the persons carrying around that mindset.

Edit: I went back and read Chicken Little, I think I would qualify more as one of his friends and not the main guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
minionhunter wrote:
I missed it if it was in another forum, and from what I read it was all products, and resellers were NOT exempt.

I'll have to do more digging.

If you have the link to the previous posting please post a link and this thread can be closed.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/370608
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/370536
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/370211
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/369499
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/369938
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/370536

There may be more threads. I stopped looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, is it too late to join in on the lambasting? "The sky is falling, the sky is falling! a piece of it just hit my head!"

Seriously, though, as originally worded, it sounded like a terrible law for resellers, just the kind of unrealisitic damage I'd expect from our inept CONgress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Constantinople wrote:

And there's the evidence that if you say it's for the children, idiots will line up to support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great_Mazinga wrote:
Matt, is it too late to join in on the lambasting? "The sky is falling, the sky is falling! a piece of it just hit my head!"

No, its not too late, and actually its funny now. Join in!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reedo wrote:

What Liberal, mamby-pamby bullsh!t.

What about the guy who has been handcrafting wooden puzzles for 30 years?

He cannot afford the testing.

So, I guess he's just totally out of business.

Liberals who want this type of Orwellian control amaze me.

It is not the govt's job to protect my child, it is MY job (and it does not take a village).

Yeah, the law is much better now, but still there are problem areas. But like all liberal laws, well intentioned, but not well thought out. In today's world there seems to be some need for watchdoging predation (Chinese/whoever) people using lead on children's toys. But I could name several other areas we are being poisoned every day and there is no fixing it (paper coatings of food wrappings are one area where the compounds just build up in our bones, they just say its OK). The government is not here to protect us, its been corrupted into establishing welfare streams for those powerful enough to write laws and hand them to congress to pass for them.

Gun laws, there was never any intention that there should be a charge for databasing you at the start, now its a tax.

No knock warrants? Big congressional battle only to be rarely used in the most serious of circumstances. The hearings are published. Standard policy now.

Asset forfeiture? Only for drug kingpins initially (also it violates the Nuremberg code no matter who it is used against). Now some random $18,000 a year guy with weed in his car looses the car. Cops have to pay for themselves somehow.

Seatbelt laws, your protection? Nope, they exist now as a tax and so that a country dose not loose the production of valuable skilled workers (see where the USA suggested seatbelt laws to Russia to decrease the death rate in Russia to maintain productivity).

I'm not totally libertarian, but thinking anything the "benevolent government" is doing "for us" is just plain ridiculous. Everything Billy boy did was "for the children". Bama is even slicker with Gupta, take a well known TV personality, put them in a minor decisionmaking, but high public contact role, and the brain washing goes in that much smoother. Cool aid is much smoother with sugar. BTW I'm not a McCain guy either. Just these laws keep multiplying, tax dollars wasted, rights stripped away.

Its all increasing restriction and regimentation because the resources are ALL running out on this planet, and we can't bear to think about it.

Well, if it was the thrift list, I would have to stop and say, oops I started talking again.

Wood or plastic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe that people still subscribe to libertarianism. C'mon people, read the news. Even your patron saint Alan Greenspan has finally admitted that markets will not fully regulate themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Liberal? Me?!!!!!!

That's the first time I've been accused of being a Liberal!!

You think that only Liberals want defective goods & criminal behavior to be stopped?

This is not Liberal nor Conservative, it is just the right thing to do!

Poisoning American children by a hostile totalitarian communistic state such as China

which recognizes no individual rights for their own citizens nor respects nor

recognizes the rights of other citizens of other countries is something that

Libertarians should be standing on the sidelines about and ignoring?

I think not. I hope not.

If that is your position, that is sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Reedo wrote:
Constantinople wrote:
This is not good news for China, but it is good news for the United States!

Thank goodness, no more lead, and hopefully it also includes testing for melamine,

mold, toxic chemicals and paints and goodness knows whatever else the American

public has been subjected to by the very low standards and criminal behavior of the

Chinese manufacturers.

Just how many products have been recalled in the USA of Chinese manufacture?

It is hard to keep track of the number!

If you are a parent and have been buying any products designed and manufactured by

the Chinese for your child, that is a real danger to your kid!

In just the past weeks cribs and high chairs have been recalled becz they are of

inferior construction and/or dangerous design.

Wonder what they were painted with???

What Liberal, mamby-pamby bullsh!t.

What about the guy who has been handcrafting wooden puzzles for 30 years?

He cannot afford the testing.

So, I guess he's just totally out of business.

Liberals who want this type of Orwellian control amaze me.

It is not the govt's job to protect my child, it is MY job (and it does not take a village).

He doesn't need to afford the testing.

He will provide the government with the supplies he is using and the SUPPLIERS will have to prove that the paint etc is not lead based.

Do you people realize the problem with lead based products?

The only reason WALMART (bastards) have the crap on their shelves is due to the Chinese child worker factories turning out their crap.

I was appalled to see LEAD BASED warning labels on the store shelves for kids toys...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Isn't this why we enacted Hazardous Material/Waste laws in the 80's?? To protect our people.

Just because the Chinese have 1 Billion people to waste doesn't mean the value of any other lives should be as low.

Do you know where all of your CRT televisions/computers/circuit boards etc end up?? IN UNLINED landfills in CHINA. There are towns whose water supply in a 50 MILE radius is contaminated with heavy metals... chromium VI etc. Wake up Americans, just because we can bitch about safe nuclear plants in out backyards and SUE companies that serve HOT food that burns our throats doensn't mean other countries have the same "freedoms". People are commodities to a government pure and simple.

BTW , I've got a copy of Lead Lined Lucy for sale....figures included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastspinecho wrote:
I can't believe that people still subscribe to libertarianism. C'mon people, read the news. Even your patron saint Alan Greenspan has finally admitted that markets will not fully regulate themselves.

Then the markets will fail and improved markets will emerge.

Do you realize that the housing problems we have today happened in the late 1800's as well and the exact same thing happened. People lost their asses. Did we crumble? No. Markets changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Key point here:

Chessjester wrote:

"The new law requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children’s products made after February 10 meet all the new safety standards and the lead ban."

I.E. this FORCES Wal MART to have their suppliers Certify that their products are safe...

New Law....Product must be safe...

RETAILER sells product supplied by Companies.

Company A ----good certified(i.e. purchased corrupt official) product.

Company B----uncertified/failed certified product.

Q: who will make the money here??? Company B must adapt to new law or not have the market for sales. This is nothing new people. Haven't you heard of Agricultural product standards? The same applies it's just not testing for LEAD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Watkins
United States
Arvada
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.

I still don't believe we are out of the woods, based on this new wording. According to the last sentence, thrifts and resellers would need to check whatever "official" list might exist before selling a used game or risk prosecution. I've already seen some local thrift stores cutting back on the amount of shelf space they allot for games, because they are too low margin/high maintenance. Do you really think thrifts are going to want to put out older games if they have to look up each one in a database first? It only takes one prosecution to scare the rest of the well-minded thrifts away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.