Subject: POLL: The ads aren't half bad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My adblock expired, yet I don't quite mind having them around. Sure, they take up more space and feel more intrusive, but they're still quite tolerable (no popup flash windows, sounds, etc.). I suppose a big part of that is because I have a large monitor, high resolution setting (SXGA), and a fast internet connection that I'm not slowed down nor hampered with crowded screen real estate. Now to see what others think.....

Direct examples.... I like how (sometimes) when viewing image submissions, an ad box will contain a pic and link to the camera model that was used to submit that photo (e.g. Canon Powershot a540).

Other things like problems with yeast infections I could do without, but again, it's not that intrusive to be annoying.

EDIT: added on 1/12/2009 3p19 EST

Poll: Preferences towards ads on BGG
This is a poll simply to see what people's prefrences are towards ads and adblock here on BGG. This isn't a plea, petition, nor anything else to try to change the structure and policies of how things currently are the way they are.
Ads on BGG? What's your overall situation?
I don't like them. I pay GG to get rid of them
I don't like them. I pay actual cash to get rid of them
I don't like them, but I tolerate them because I prefer not to spend money nor GG on adblock
I don't like some of them, so I pay for adblock to customize it.
I don't mind having them around at all.
I don't mind having them around at all, but I still pay for adblock anyways with GG!
I don't mind having them around at all, but I still pay for adblock anyways with cash!
      166 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, this is the first year I have used adblock. I'm surprised how much of an improvement is made by getting rid of the ads. (I'm mostly using my smaller laptop screen so the extra real estate is important).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Afer enabling ad block, I found I missed the ads (they are all game related, afterall) so I ended up disabling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, I block all the ads, while my wife just blocks the side ones. On the other hand, she was one of the few to notice a contest on the Boulder Games ad. She ended up winning Red November, Galaxy Trucker, and The Pillars of the Earth: Expansion Set. Maybe I should rethink my AdBlock.

Of course, I don't donate to BGG just for the AdBlock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Sauer
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
'Nuff said.
badge
Pretty kewl, hun?
mbmbmbmbmb

Let's just say that if primary location visiting BBG wasn't at work, blockage of ads wouldn't be necessary... however I still would donate; donating is definatly worth my BBG addiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind them - at least they're on-topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The site is much more readable and scanable without them. They are the
"best" ads I've seen, if there are any good ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Poll leaves out
I do not like them so I use Firefox Adblock to remove them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
Your Poll leaves out
I do not like them so I use Firefox Adblock to remove them.
Obviously, I don't use Firefox but eh, at least as is, it gives us an idea how things are within THOSE confines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they're there, but I don't really notice them. They're not in-your-face pop-up ads, so they don't bother me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice POLL.

I don't like how they affect my speed so with Cash they are gone.

But I worry that a game may slip through my Web of Research...

So I got the wife to create an account and I jump on as her periodically to see the ads!

I also use her account to track her plays - this way I have some data when she has a go at how many games I play...truth is she isn't that far behind me.

I really should have gone into Espionage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've built my world to be as free of commercial speech as I make it. No TV, no commercial radio, no magazines or newspapers, no marketing mail in my mailbox, no spam and no adverts in my web browser no matter where I go. Oh, the ofdd thing does slip through now and then but with rare exception only a quick tweak is needed before it is permanently gone as well. It has been almost 10 years now of living without commercials. I am so pleased. Life is so much better this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
It has been almost 10 years now of living without commercials. I am so pleased. Life is so much better this way.

You really have no idea what you're missing out on, do you. Just yesterday I got a complete set of nipple wrenches for under 20 fleebs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something vaguely like my answer is not among the options.

I have adblock because it came along with the deal. I instinctively ignore ads completely when they're there but they do take up space I'd rather have for something else.

I have hugely mixed views on advertising. I seem to blip over it myself, but it's a waste of space in my viewing perspective and a waste of time if it's inserted into DVDs. (I don't have a tv any more.) I think the social/cultural effects of modern advertising techniques are hugely detrimental to society, but even useful innovation benefits from advertising to propogate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what Joe Grundy said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ads are the devil!

adblock is the best feature on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
kuhrusty wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
It has been almost 10 years now of living without commercials. I am so pleased. Life is so much better this way.

You really have no idea what you're missing out on, do you. Just yesterday I got a complete set of nipple wrenches for under 20 fleebs!

It is true. Every so often my kids come up with something or there's a conversation at work relating to a heavily advertised gizmo or other aspect of popular culture and I simply won't have a clue. I haven't seen a TV show in about 6 years. I really don't know at all what is going on at the levels communicated and associated with such commercial speech. I rarely miss such relevance, perhaps once a year or two I find something I would have liked to have known about, but so far the assumed gain from knowing has never come close to the loss of also enduring all the rest of the dreck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the ads. They often times inform me of new games. I click on plenty of them. I guess I don't have enough GG to block ads anyways, so I've never really considered it an option.

Ads are the only way this site survives anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a publisher who has purchased banner space on BGG to help reach a wide gamer audience, I'd just like to say that your support of the ads on this site--- supports BGG--- just as well as it supports those who purchase ad space.

I understand that some prefer to turn them off for various reasons, but you may miss a 'gem' that you would otherwise not discover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
frontlinegeneral wrote:
I understand that some prefer to turn them off for various reasons, but you may miss a 'gem' that you would otherwise not discover.

Advertising is a continuous and invasive tax from which there is no recovery of the losses. Missing an assumed "gem" is a one-time event which can be easily recovered by discovering and acquiring the game later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Wilson
United States
Piedmont
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just got a GREAT deal on 7" digital picture frame from tanga and I saw it on BGG when I was logging n to check on a trade! Thanks BGG!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the ads at all. In fact I make a point to click though the ads on this site whenever I want to look at a retailer's site rather than though a bookmark so that Aldie can make a living.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the real question is which one supports the site better, paying cash for adblock or clicking on ads. I would imagine money for adblock would probably be just as good if not better than supporting ads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
I guess the real question is which one supports the site better, paying cash for adblock or clicking on ads. I would imagine money for adblock would probably be just as good if not better than supporting ads.

I suppose it depends on who you want to support. Either way, you support BGG, which is great. But if you occasionally click through on an ad- you also support the companies who advertise here in addition to BGG.

It's nice that BGG gives users the option to block ads if they don't want to see them- that's something you don't see on many major sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.