Popular Tags: newb_recc's [+] [View All]
Grant Smith
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, let me start by saying that before last week I had no idea that all of these fabulous games existed. I've played more than my fair share of mass market games (Monopoly, Clue, etc). However, in order to get any sort of strategic or city building fix I have always resorted to PC gaming (Age of Empires, Sim City, etc).

Just last week, during a family beach trip, a cousin of mine brought Settlers of Catan. I was instantly hooked. Long story short... internet research on Settlers of Catan led me to this site and it has been as if an entire new world has opened up to me. I'm excited, to say the least, at all of the potential gaming I will be doing soon. I've already ordered Catan and the 5-6 player expansion.

My question to all of you is: where do I go from Catan? I love the trading / strategy / building types of games. Should I collect more expansions to Catan, or should I branch out (leaning towards doing this). After perusing this site, I have created a huge list of games I would like to try. My short list of games I am considering ordering next are: Carcassonne, Agricola, Ticket to Ride, and Pillars of the Earth.

What should my next step be after Catan? Most of my game time will be with 2-3 people, every now and then a 4th and 5th.

Thanks to all! I'm so excited to have found this site and can't wait to try out all of these fantastic sounding games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to BGG!

You can't go wrong with Ticket to Ride as your second step up the Geek ladder.

Buying games can be addictive. Hang on to your wallet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Grant!

Agricola is a great game but you might want to get that after you've played some slightly easier games. Ticket to ride is a good choice. Alhambra is a great game for two or three. Both contain a sense of building things. I think those two would be good for a next purchase.

I would suggest Ticket to Ride Europe though, I like it much better than the USA map. It adds some wrinkles that aren't too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hallstrom
United States
Indiantown
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Welcome!

One recommendation I can give you, don't rely too heavily on game rankings on this site. When I first started visiting BGG I thought highest ranked games were the best games out there. I learned very quickly there are styles and types of games that dominate BGG that I wasn't interested in. Make sure you do plenty of research before making your choices.

It seems like you're being drawn towards more of the common gateway games out there. Always a good place to start.

Ultimately you just stumbled upon one of the greatest hobbies out there, enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matera
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome,

BGG is a fabulous site and community. There are many wonderful people here who will offer you all sorts of help. In other words you have turned to the right place.

I was the same way about 2 years ago and now I own about 170 games it can be addicting. BGG also helps with the addition by feeding me all this wonderful information. I would say from Catan I would move into Ticket to Ride This one might get other people into playing games and from there you can move to some of the more hevey games.

Ones I like that moved me up the ladder were:

Power Grid (still my fav) Great with 3-4
Tikal (good game wonderful board) good with 2-4
Antike (love this one) good with 3-6
Pandemic (this is a good quick one that is different from the rest of the games you will own in time) 2-5
Puerto Rico is one that really opened my eyes to different types of games.
One I really love is el Grande

Hope you enjoy and feel free to write for any more help on entering the gaming world.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes the BGG rating list can be a good guide. Near the top of your screen, click Games, and you'll get a rated list of all games.

Or click on the link Categories (just below Games), then pick a category to explore. Sounds like you may want to look at the Territory Building category.

Then click individual game titles to learn more about each one. You'll find lots of stuff to read there.

Note: Others will warn you not to put too much faith in the ratings. That's good advice, but I'll add another thought: Beware of the recommendations you get around here too, because what works for other people may not work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grant,

Some good advice so far. Here are some more tips:

Read lots of reviews and user comments, both positive and negative for the games which interest you.

Find a game group near you and try out some new-to-you games.

Some purposeful geeklists are excellent tools for finding games:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19068
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22619
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/24727
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19346
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/25186
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/24748

Spend a little while poking through these, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what you want next.

(Oh, and TTR: Europe is superior to the original.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the start of your gaming life -- your world will never be the same, for better or worse!

I'll avoid specific recommendations & instead suggest that you take a little time here to scroll through some of the game pages -- even looking at the top 50 or 100 should give you a broad range of things to compare. Pay particular attention to the "Game Weight", which should give you an idea of a game's relative complexity, and the "Length of Play", for exactly what you would think.

Doing this, we started with Carcassonne and it worked great for us, though may not for you. Gradually, I sought out a few fairly high-ranked games in a variety of styles, weights, and lengths. In all likelyhood, you'll simply need to play some different ones before having a better idea what to look for next. Truth told, I also was swayed initially by the games' visual appeal, tho that is less of a factor now.

No matter how you slice it, it's a wonderful hobby, an excellent entertainment value for the $, and this site is the greatest resource one could hope for.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grant

You could try BrettSpielWelt. It's a German run web site that hosts many of the most popular games. There is a (partially) english language web-site for it (http://www.brettspielwelt.de/MetaSpiel/Staedte/Stadtinfo/Bue...) and I would recommend downloading the client to help with logging on, but once you get to grips with the sometimes curious logic of the games-interfaces it's a great way to try out games (against friendly opponents from around the world) before you part with your hard-earned dollar.

Shandazar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Huntingdon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
mtnhiker74 wrote:

What should my next step be after Catan? Most of my game time will be with 2-3 people, every now and then a 4th and 5th.

Thanks to all! I'm so excited to have found this site and can't wait to try out all of these fantastic sounding games.

Something else I'd like to add. Start slow, but dont let anything discourage you. Catan is a great way, and how I was brought back. However, my group played weekly for 2 years and burned out. Flash forward 8 years and I now have a 400+ collection, and a huge variety of games from classic and current war games to euros.

That said stick to "gateway" games for a short time, but expand out from there. Figure out what you like about games and what they offer.

Oh and one other word of advise. You will be crushed in Euro games the first few tries. After several plays they will be closer scores, you will have higher scores, and a good challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Huntingdon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
sasquatchdjh wrote:
mtnhiker74 wrote:

Something else I'd like to add. Start slow, but dont let anything discourage you. Catan is a great way, and how I was brought back. However, my group played weekly for 2 years and burned out. Flash forward 8 years and I now have a 400+ collection, and a huge variety of games from classic and current war games to euros.

That said stick to "gateway" games for a short time, but expand out from there. Figure out what you like about games and what they offer.

Oh and one other word of advise. You will be crushed in Euro games the first few tries. After several plays they will be closer scores, you will have higher scores, and a good challenge.

Oh and to echo previous posts, the rankings are with a grain of salt. Much like movie reviews read them all to get an idea of what things are.

Really, look at the positive reivewes and lowe reviews. And give things a shot over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would maybe go with something like Stone Age before I tried out Agricola. Especially if the people you're playing with are new to these kinds of boardgames as well.

There's been a few 'Which Ticket to Ride should I get?' threads in the Recommendations forum that you could look at to see which TtR would be best for you (I like the Nordic one the best. Since you're primarily going to have 2-3 players, I'd go with this one.)

Also, if you're going to buy a bunch of games and want to save a bit of money, take a look at BoardGamePrices.com to find out what the various online retailers are selling your games for. You can find out about people's experiences with the different online stores in the Buying and Selling forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Some suggestions for games that are immediately fun:

Ticket to Ride - start with USA-1910 version
Downfall of Pompeii
Formula De' - fun race car game
Lost Cities - 2 person card game
TransAmerica - very fast filler, evening starter game
Mr. Jack - 2 person
Carcassonne - interesting tile laying game

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Grant! WELCOME!!! I'll chime in with the folks who have recommended Ticket to Ride as a next step for you. I like all the versions of TTR! They've added a few new wrinkles along the way, but nothing too difficult.

Again, welcome and Have Fun!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call by Michael Hellyer. Downfall of Pompeii is a GREAT game that introduces folks to some new game mechanics and is great fun to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Boardgame geek. First one is free...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off WELCOME.
I just came back to gaming, and BGG late last year, replaced a lot of lost games, and a bunch of new ones. The best information is right here, but only you know your friends and your gaming styles and tastes. Personal reviews here is better than ratings i feel. Ticket to Ride is a clear winner to buy. Personally i am looking for a cooperative game, and Battlestar Galactica and Arkam Horror, Shadows over Camelot. Arkam Horror can be played by 1 player, so you can learn game on your own before having a game event. I am not at all a Horror Fan but a lot of good reviews have come from non horror fans. Battlestar Galactica got similar reviews from non science fiction fans, it is coming to the forefront in my choice, as i believe a complete game should not have major expansions. Oh who am i kidding eventually i will get both if the first is a success in my group.
Not sure what your relationship status is, or if you are single, but if not single, research well, bulk up as many games as you can all at once, before she says "THATS ENOUGH NO MORE GAMES". I got in about 50 games in less than 2 months, now i can buy a game or two a year, but feel i have enough games to be able to sneak them into the group, just have to mail them to a single friend of mine, maybe pretend it is his game, and he left or is leaving it here.
ENJOY you have entered a SUPER wonderful world of fun and intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome,

You are going to get sooooo many divergent AND valid ideas. There are a lot of different games with many pros and cons.

I'm not going to add to a growing list.

Instead of throwing out some games, I'll just say read up, but don't be afraid to take a chance on trying games.

Your biggest obstacle may end up being gaming partners.

I'll start by suggesting this forum:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/21/forum/1

Maybe adding your City might be helpful.

And if you want to find a FLGS (Friendly Local Gaming Store), you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

When you start buying, I recommend (if you buy from an OLGS [on-line Gaming Store]):
www.boardgameprices.com

Happy Gaming and Good Luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
Not sure what your relationship status is, or if you are single, but if not single, research well, bulk up as many games as you can all at once, before she says "THATS ENOUGH NO MORE GAMES". I got in about 50 games in less than 2 months, now i can buy a game or two a year, but feel i have enough games to be able to sneak them into the group, just have to mail them to a single friend of mine, maybe pretend it is his game, and he left or is leaving it here.
ENJOY you have entered a SUPER wonderful world of fun and intrigue.

brilliant laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you're looking at, I would say they're all good choices.

As mentioned, Agricola is a heavier game of this type, albeit an excellent one. That said, it's worth a look if you and your gaming partners are up for a game that will take at least a couple of plays through to really start to grasp the strategies involved. Other games to look at of roughly the same complexity are Caylus and Power Grid.

Ticket to Ride is the lightest of the bunch and while I find it pretty dull, it's very well regarded here. It's extremely easy to learn, and the strategies are not all that deep so it's a good choice for non-gamers in most cases. Other games worth looking at are Ticket to Ride: Europe (very well regarded here) and Ticket to Ride: Märklin (my personal favorite of the series - only slightly more complex but MUCH more interesting).

Carcassonne is also a good game, but it does have lots of expansions. Get the "big box" version, which includes the most essential ones. The big plus here is that it's both simple to learn and quite different from anything you've ever played before. Also check out Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, which has the same basic gameplay but doesn't require any expansions.

Pillars of the Earth is not bad, and in the middle here in terms of complexity. Personally, I prefer Stone Age which is somewhat similar to it, and is also easier to learn. You might also want to check out Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, which is about the same complexity as Pillars of the Earth but much more interesting (in my opinion).

A few other games you may want to look at:

Blokus - 2-4 players, but stinks with 3
Ingenious - 2-4 players, plays well with any #
Samurai - 2-4 players, plays well with any #
Railways of the World - 2-6 players, but best with 4 or more (3 is not bad, but much better with the Railways of Europe expansion)
El Grande - 2-5 players, but really needs at least 4

These are all very good games, not too hard to learn and offer great gameplay and long term value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, here are my recommendations with your 2-3 player (sometimes more) game group:

Carcassonne is a great entry into tile laying. or...
Alhambra which combines some simpler tile laying with set collection.

Stone Age is a great entry into worker placement

Ticket to Ride is a fantastic family game adn introduces route building and set collection. I would get the USA version with the 1910 expansion. Unlike the others I much prefer it to the Europe version. (I don't like the stations).

No Thanks! is a great filler game and will show you how fun some of the card games can be with very simple rules (Coloretto might be another).

Ra (hate searching for this one) is the best entry into auction games since it constrains your bidding which makes it much more newbie friendly).

Puerto Rico would be my candidate for your first middle weight game (although Stone Age might qualify). Great game, especially when everyone is learning together.

Other very fine games for 2-3 newish gamers: Samurai, St. Petersberg, Pandemic (cooperative game), Wasabi, Vikings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Smith
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good googly you guys rock. I posted this just before I left the office (err... multi-tasking of course :what:), and after getting home and settling in a bit... a ton of replies! Thanks to each and every one of you for the great suggestions. I added quite a few of your suggestions to my ever-expanding list for future purchases.

I am married, with 3 children (oldest son is 9 and he will be the 3rd player that most often plays the lighter games with us). That seems young, but by 7 years old he was already spanking the PC at AoE3 on hard setting in almost every scenario. The boy is pretty sharp (all from his mother of course). *hopes she reads this post one day for future bonus brownie points*

I think I am going to go with Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Stone Age based on recommendations throughout this post. Escape to Pompeii also intrigues me. Now that the bug has bitten me and these games will take a while to get here... I stopped by Toys R Us on the way home and at least picked up Axis & Allies to get a little bit of a fix.

I did manage to find a game store about 45 minutes away. Not sure why the biggest city in NC doesn't seem to have a game store! Grr.

Again, thank you to everyone for all the suggestions. I look forward to being a part of the BGG community. Looks like a great place to be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtnhiker74 wrote:
Good googly you guys rock. I posted this just before I left the office (err... multi-tasking of course :what, and after getting home and settling in a bit... a ton of replies! Thanks to each and every one of you for the great suggestions. I added quite a few of your suggestions to my ever-expanding list for future purchases.

I am married, with 3 children (oldest son is 9 and he will be the 3rd player that most often plays the lighter games with us). That seems young, but by 7 years old he was already spanking the PC at AoE3 on hard setting in almost every scenario. The boy is pretty sharp (all from his mother of course). *hopes she reads this post one day for future bonus brownie points*

I think I am going to go with Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Stone Age based on recommendations throughout this post. Escape to Pompeii also intrigues me. Now that the bug has bitten me and these games will take a while to get here... I stopped by Toys R Us on the way home and at least picked up Axis & Allies to get a little bit of a fix.

I did manage to find a game store about 45 minutes away. Not sure why the biggest city in NC doesn't seem to have a game store! Grr.

Again, thank you to everyone for all the suggestions. I look forward to being a part of the BGG community. Looks like a great place to be!

I like Stone Age alot. Not bad choices but think about TTR:Eurpoe! Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big 3:
Catan
Ticket to Ride&
Carcassonne

Ticket to Ride is prob the most popular to introduce board gaming. Catan a close #2 (you lucked out)
Tikal is my personal favorite intro game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Reeves
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I might be new to this website, I am not new to gaming. I am going to disagree with the majority of the suggestions above. I would start simple and then work your way up to the more hardcore games.

Axis and Allies Revised Edition
Risk 2210
History of the World
Battlelore
Ticket to Ride USA + 1910 expansion
Great Dalmuti

All of these are basic strategy games that can be played with 2 - 6 players, all can be found at a local gaming store in stock or even at a Toys R Us.

Next, find your local gaming store. The owner, employees, and patrons can give you suggestions on what they have enjoyed or are playing now. Most of the games they have in stock are the more popular games that novice to average gamers will play. Gaming stores do not make a lot of money, they won't keep alot of inventory on hand that won't move.

If you are just going to use this website to decide, first pick a genre (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Space, etc.). Look in the Categories section under games to find something that might interest you. Do not base your decision solely on the ratings. A games playability for new gamers will be a HUGE factor on whether or not you like it.

Understand the different basic types of games and play a variety of all:
Card Games - Card games, Collectible Card Games (CCG), Trading Card Games (TCG)
Boardgames - Family games, party games, strategy games
Table top games - Warhammer: Fantasy, Warhammer: 40K, Axis and Allies, World of Warcraft etc.)
Wargames - Avalon Hill

If you find a game you like made by a particular manufacturer, you will probably enjoy other games they have made, (same goes for video games) Searching by publisher could help you as well.

Hope that helps!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.