Hide
13 Posts

Space Hulk» Forums » Rules

Subject: Genestealers - possible move anomaly in rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Field
msg tools
Hi there, I've signed up in the hopes of finding some advice on a Space Hulk rules issue.
(I'm not sure which edition of the game I have - as far as I know it's the original release.)

Basically there seems to be a discrepancy as follows:

Points required for a genestealer to move sideways (while keeping the same facing) = 2

Points required for a stealer to rotate 90 degrees = 0
Points required for a stealer to move forward = 1

So surely 90 degrees in one rotational direction, then a move forward, then 90 degrees in the other rotational direction totals 1 point. However, the stealer is in the same position as if it had moved sideways while keeping the same facing. So should this sequence cost 1 point or 2?

(The rules clearly state that one 90 degree rotation followed immediately by another together amount to a 180 degree rotation and thus this combination costs 1 point - however what I'm talking about is a different situation, with the two rotations separated by a move forward.)

Obviously this isn't stopping my friend and me from playing the game as we can just decide one way or the other and be consistent...but it would be better to know what conclusion the game designers & playtesters arrived at, so that we can play this excellent game exactly as intended.

Thanks very much in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you move sideways into a space with an overwatch marine, they're attacking your front facing. If you turn first and move adjacent to them, they have a shot/attack on your side before you get your second 90 degree turn. It cost more to do the side move for 2 because it's a safer action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt is right. The sideways movement is normally not used due to the extra cost, but in the situation Walt detailed, it is very advantageous for the genestealer to reduce the number of times the marines on overwatch get to fire, so moving sideways allows for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
If you move sideways into a space with an overwatch marine, they're attacking your front facing. If you turn first and move adjacent to them, they have a shot/attack on your side before you get your second 90 degree turn. It cost more to do the side move for 2 because it's a safer action.

Ok, I'm probably just interpreting oddly, but that makes it sound like there's a difference between shooting based on the target's facing. Just to be clear, the side move is safer because you only take 1 overwatch shot. Moving the other way, you take 1 overwatch shot when you move in and another overwatch shot when you turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

...that makes it sound like there's a difference between shooting based on the target's facing. Just to be clear, the side move is safer because you only take 1 overwatch shot. Moving the other way, you take 1 overwatch shot when you move in and another overwatch shot when you turn.

The shot at the Stealer doesn't care about facing, but the number of overwatch shots will be huge. Stepping sideways, one move 2pts one overwatch shot. Or 90Deg turn 0pts, first overwatch shot, move forward 1pt, second overwatch shot, 90Deg turn 0pts, third overwatch shot. One dead bug priceless!! Remember every shot at the same bug increase in accuracy. Giving the marine three shot would be suicide for the bug. That is why you swarm the marine to draw the jam then slice-and-dice for the Emperor.

Brother Jim! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Field
msg tools
Thanks very much everybody for your explanations! I played SH last night and that situation arose a few times so this forum has been very helpful. Thanks again! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:

The shot at the Stealer doesn't care about facing, but the number of overwatch shots will be huge. Stepping sideways, one move 2pts one overwatch shot. Or 90Deg turn 0pts, first overwatch shot, move forward 1pt, second overwatch shot, 90Deg turn 0pts, third overwatch shot. One dead bug priceless!! Remember every shot at the same bug increase in accuracy. Giving the marine three shot would be suicide for the bug. That is why you swarm the marine to draw the jam then slice-and-dice for the Emperor.

Brother Jim! cool

This is not the case when firing on overwatch. Overwatch with a storm bolter always needs sixes to hit.

For the op,
I just started this thread which might help clarify further some of the things people have posted here.
http://boardgamegeeks.com/article/3029764#3029764
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés F.
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baddates wrote:
(The rules clearly state that one 90 degree rotation followed immediately by another together amount to a 180 degree rotation and thus this combination costs 1 point - however what I'm talking about is a different situation, with the two rotations separated by a move forward.)

Do the rules mention what happens when the genestealer takes two 90 degree rotations not separated by the move forward?

Because if two 90-degree rotations count like one 180-degree rotation, there you have it: a sidestep can be seen as:

- one 90-degree rotation (free)
- move forward (1 AP)
- another 90-degree rotation (no longer free, 1 AP)

Total: 2 AP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am holding a 2nd edition rulebook on my hand.

It is explicitly stated that moving sideways 1 square for a converted Genestealer is ONE.

I hope it has solved your problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it does since he's got the first edition rules.

I've always used the rules as jasta6 stated but with the clarification bolter stated that you always need a 6 when on overwatch.

I'd also like to clarify that this:

Quote:
That is why you swarm the marine to draw the jam then slice-and-dice for the Emperor.

is incorrect also as the Genestealers do NOT slice and dice for the Emperor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tezza jw
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Moving a Genestealer sideways costs 2AP and it is one action.

Turning, then moving, then turning costs 1AP and is three actions.

The only real difference is when the Genestealer is in LOS to a Marine on overwatch, as each action will draw an overwatch shot.

Two consecutive 90 degree turns will cost 1AP. 90 degree turns that are separated by another action are free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tezzajw wrote:

Two consecutive 90 degree turns will cost 1AP. 90 degree turns that are separated by another action are free.

does it costs 1 AP when you make a 90° to the left and then another 90° to the right (not 2 times to the left = 180°) ?

am i playing it wrong since the beginning of space hulk (must say that internet didn't exist at that time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tezza jw
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The 90 degree left turn is free, but is an action. The 90 degree right turn straight afterwards will cost 1AP and is also an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.