M D
United States
Cos Cob
CT
flag msg tools
CC:A requires a nuanced skill in making the best of the hand that you have. Does HtL maintain that nuance in another way? Would you say a "world class" player vs. an average player would win more times in CC:A or TtL? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's a simple, straightforward answer to your question. To a large degree, the "luck factor" is pretty equal, as both use random methods of enabling command and resolving combats. Ultimately in any game that has a balance of luck and skill, the better player will win more often than the less skilled player, but among players of equal skill the random factors will tend to decide the winner.

The difference mainly lies in the use of dice for command points in HtL versus cards in C&CA. Most people that have a preference for one or the other tend to fall into two categories. Some prefer the hand management and game color of C&CA's command cards. Others prefer the greater freedom to pursue specific strategies that the dice command points of HtL offer. If you frequently feel frustrated by the inability to pursue a particular path in C&CA or to take action at a critical point, then HtL could be a refreshing change of pace for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough of Ancients to really comment, but I find Hold the Line takes more skill than Memoir '44 and Battle Cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.