Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In preparation for teaching SL to a buddy (and continuing to learn it myself), I've been soloing TTS Alpha Zero and One using VSQL. (Two thumbs way up to VSQL, by the way!) My run through Alpha Zero saw the Russians try for the "far route), heading down the east side of the board hoping to delay contact with the Germans and their superior range as long as possible. Everything went fairly well, but with only one leader, the advance was fairly slow. The result was that one of the Russian stacks was shot up near the exit area and only managed to get away with one escaped squad. Thus, the full-strength fire group that was perched in the wooded J0 half-hex made the tough decision to remain as a forward fire base, hoping to occupy or damage the Germans enough to allow another stack or two to escape for the win. With the good German leader and two squads occupying the nearby thicket at K2 and the lesser leader and three squads perched at the edge of the woods in M2, it looked bad for the point men. They opted to concentrate all their fire on the Germans' forward position in the thicket, since it had the best shot at the remaining escaping Russians. The roll wasn't good enough, however, and only one German squad broke, then promptly rallied despite the Desperation Morale. The remaining Russians were beaten back, their officer left huddled in the woods somewhere, and the Russians failed to rejoin their comrades to the south.

Unlike Alpha Zero, which came down to literally the last turn and one or two die rolls, Alpha One seems over with before it's begun! The Russian 9-1 leader led three full-strength squads to the central farmhouse and woods (P6, O6, N5) in the first two turns, out of sight of the Germans. They, on the other hand, seem to have made the fatal error of sticking too much together. Whereas the unencumbered riflemen from Alpha Zero raced to the Russian exit area and managed to force a greatly slowed escape, these Germans with their HMG and MMG lost precious time, and also foolishly advanced all their squads and machine guns along the road rather than into the wooden building at T3. With nothing to stop them crossing in the open, three Russian stacks crossed onto the southern half, and the Germans have no way to get enough troops to the exit area in time. The Russians win on Turn 3 without a shot being fired, and a valuable lesson about the deployment of machine guns is learned.

The real lesson here is that I allowed the Germans to get too focused on countering the fair-sized threat posed by the Russian troops moving onto the German flank. While the threat certainly needed to be considered, I also needed to remember that if the mission is lost, nothing else matters, so I really had to have the Germans make different moves.

All in all, I think the Tactical Training Series seems like a vastly superior way of learning the basics of Squad Leader -- including infantry tactics -- than the scenarios in the box, which I'll look forward to playing later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rupp
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remembering back to when I played these scenarios during the SL online tournaments, I had the HMG and MMG has to be set up to produce a "firelane" across the board. This effectively slows the Russians down because they now have to take fire with a -2 mod to get to the exit hex. Some of the Russians should break as they cross, giving the Germans time to get into position. Of course, if the dice gods are not with the Germans, the Russians get enough good order squads across the fire line and end the scenario early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few ways to minimize the danger of even well-placed MGs, of course. Taking a route along the very farthest hexrow or two will keep you out of normal range of the HMG, plus there's at least a little patch of woods to cover your dash. But obviously it's slower to take the long way around like this. The other option is to Advance into the open so you don't suffer Defensive Fire that turn and when you take fire in the enemy's next turn, it's not at -2 for moving in the open. Mind you, I don't like getting shot at by a German HMG in the open too much either, but it may be better than the moving in the open option.

Both of these compromises trade a little security for some precious time, which is why, as the German, I wouldn't worry too much about them. Either heavy casualties or major delays are worthy wounds to inflict on the Russians here.

For such a tiny scenario, I think there's quite a lot to it.

Randy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.