Subject: Games suitable while nursing a baby? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon there will be another baby in this house. If this baby is at all like its big brother, I will be nursing all evenings. So I am looking for games that can be played when nursing a baby.
Criterias to be filled are:
You should be able to play the game with one hand.
You should be able to play it while having "nursingbrain" i.e not too complicated

(I am Swedish and we are usually nursing our babys for a long time here and it is totally accepted to do it sort of everywhere. I hope no one is offended by this topic)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You should be able to play it while having "nursingbrain"

Paper-Rock-Scissors sounds perfect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Pitt
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coincidentally enough I'm sat here checking BGG while my partner is nursing our son.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions myself but am more than curious to hear some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but...

I'd had thought that any game that didn't absolutely require the use of two hands to play it could be played with one hand. Some of the more demanding dexterity-based games would probably be precluded, plus a lot of card games that require you to have a hand of cards from which you play one or more - although this could easily be remedied by using a card stand. (Agricola, for example, would be fine since although you have your own cards, you don't need to hold them in hand constantly to play.)

Surely the main factor is that there's no part of the board out of reach without having to get up or lean across the gaming table. Otherwise, why not just play whatever game you want one-handed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkadia worked like knockout drops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I own that could be played 1 handed:

Carcassone
Innsmouth Escape
Formula DE
Tomb
Shadows over Camelot
Deflexion (also known as Khut I believe - Laser Chess)
Betrayal at House on the Hill, at least until the Haunt is revealed! hehe
Nexus Ops
Flux

Most games can be played fairly easily 1 handed. The games that probably would be hardest are those that require holding LOTS of cards and playing them out of your hand. Get the other players to help by moving your pawn or doing things that might interrupt the baby if you move too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game with a small or narrow board should work for you. A bigger board can be handled by asking your gaming partners to move your pieces. What I would suggest is to sit down, put one hand between your legs, lean back in your chair, and play a game with the free hand. If your hand comes out from between your legs, then you're probably thinking too hard about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend something like Tsuro, Blokus, Ingenious or Ta YĆ¼. Hive might also suit if you don't mind a little more strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Veit
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evarina wrote:
Soon there will be another baby in this house. If this baby is at all like its big brother, I will be nursing all evenings. So I am looking for games that can be played when nursing a baby.
You should be able to play it while having "nursingbrain" i.e not too complicated

(I am Swedish and we are usually nursing our babys for a long time here and it is totally accepted to do it sort of everywhere. I hope no one is offended by this topic)

Busen Memo

I'm so lacking of maturity.....shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Johnson
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10 days in ... all have racks that hold the cards/tiles so you could play one handed easily, and allow you to subliminally teach your child geography.

and if you borrow one of the racks for other games a lot of games with a hand of cards are possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Miller
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A guy from my game group that is handy with a saw made me some card racks out of 2x2 wood.

Just make a simple angled cut the length of the wood that doesn't go all the way through.

Since you're going to have two little gamers in your house soon you'll need the card holders to help them out anyway, you might as well make the leap now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
evarina wrote:

Play anything, Let the others do stuff for you. The baby's not going to eat for 3 hours straight is he/she?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker specifies in the rules to play it one-handed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eva!! I think I can help here, I nursed both my kids. My daughter was four before she quit and my son is almost three and still nursing, so I KNOW about those evenings where you can't get them off your lap!!

Basically ANY card game that doesn't have a speed element (Blink, Jumgle Speed) or a ton of shuffling (Dominion, Starship Catan) will work fine. Just position yourself and the table such that it's easy for you to put the cards down and pick them back up again and all will be well. It helps too if you are playing a game where you don't have a large play area so you don't have to reach too far all the time to make your move, but you can always select your card and ask your opponent to physically place it where you want it for you.

As far as specific games, here are some I would recommend as both easy on the mommy brain and easy to play with your arms full

Jambo
Apples to Apples
Category 5
Coloretto
No Thanks!
Felix: the Cat in the Sack

And a couple board games that are easy to play one handed if you have a sympathetic opponent who will help you place pieces once in awhile -

Thurn and Taxis
Ticket to Ride
Settlers of Catan

Good luck, and congratulations!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodromoi wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but...

I'd had thought that any game that didn't absolutely require the use of two hands to play it could be played with one hand. Some of the more demanding dexterity-based games would probably be precluded, plus a lot of card games that require you to have a hand of cards from which you play one or more - although this could easily be remedied by using a card stand. (Agricola, for example, would be fine since although you have your own cards, you don't need to hold them in hand constantly to play.)

Surely the main factor is that there's no part of the board out of reach without having to get up or lean across the gaming table. Otherwise, why not just play whatever game you want one-handed?

Technically you are correct. However, in practice, some games have enough manipulation of this and that and the other to make them a pain to play with one hand - you CAN play Agricola with one hand, but it's a hassle. And new moms don't like hassle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
evarina wrote:

Play anything, Let the others do stuff for you. The baby's not going to eat for 3 hours straight is he/she?

LOL, oh, don't bet on that!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandi Garlock

La Crosse
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Limey Sponge wrote:
10 days in ... all have racks that hold the cards/tiles so you could play one handed easily, and allow you to subliminally teach your child geography.

and if you borrow one of the racks for other games a lot of games with a hand of cards are possible.

Good Call! The only stack of cards could be easily accessed, the racks will work great, and you won't need to be able to reach the board.

:thumbsup: for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandi Garlock

La Crosse
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodromoi wrote:
(Agricola, for example, would be fine since although you have your own cards, you don't need to hold them in hand constantly to play.)

Clearly you haven't had to struggle with "mommy brain." Agricola? I can barely get through it on my best day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody made you a geeklist:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5742
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Consider playing Pandemic. Your partners can move your piece, and all you need to be able to do is talk and see the board while handling your cards occasionally.

Works for my wife and I.

Med venlig hilsen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squigherder wrote:
A guy from my game group that is handy with a saw made me some card racks out of 2x2 wood.

Just make a simple angled cut the length of the wood that doesn't go all the way through.

Since you're going to have two little gamers in your house soon you'll need the card holders to help them out anyway, you might as well make the leap now.

This is what my wife used while nursing - worked like a charm!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
citizen k wrote:
Consider playing Pandemic. Your partners can move your piece, and all you need to be able to do is talk and see the board while handling your cards occasionally.

Works for my wife and I.

Med venlig hilsen!

My wife plays Pandemic while nursing. Of course she has also played Arkham Horror, Lost Cities, Runebound, Funny Friends, Robo Rally, and a few others while nursing one of our four kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cristofani
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squigherder wrote:

You don't even need 2x2...that seems needlessly bulky. 1x2 is fine--which is really about 0.75"x1.5" or 2cm x 4 cm. You want a table saw, and you don't necessarily need to angle the cut...the fact that the cut will be wider than a card is thick will angle the cards a little anyway.

Edit: incidentally, I'm not speaking theoretically--I made one of these for a friend-and-ex-lover with a mild case of cerebral palsy, who has trouble holding a hand full of cards, especially a Ticket-to-Ride size hand. One more note, I used sandpaper to smooth the surfaces and round all the corners a little, including the edges of the cut, to make it a little easier to slip cards in. I didn't use any paint or varnish--didn't think it would be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We put two of the long wooden blocks from the block-system box of our daughter together and put the cards between them. It works for her Schotten totten is a light game you play on your side of the table. You never hold more than six cards.

Greetings from Holland,

Inga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:

If I am lucky the baby will *only* eat for three stright hours. :-)

To you all:
Thanks for all ideas, I really appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.