Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the warrior flare the super power says you may use your power when an ally. Since it's using the power can the zap stop it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you zap somebody you take away their power, so if they do not have their power they cannot even use the Super Flare. However, they could still use the wild Warrior flare (don't remember what it is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
If you zap somebody you take away their power, so if they do not have their power they cannot even use the Super Flare. However, they could still use the wild Warrior flare (don't remember what it is).

Correct, in general this is what happens when different flavors of Zap hit an alien power while they are using their Super Flare:

Cosmic Zap: Player may only opt to use the Wild version of the Flare for the rest of the encounter (and may proceed to play it if the Wild is still viable at that moment).

Card Zap: Flare is discarded without effect. If the Super's effect was to allow use of the power at additional phases (such as "You may use your power as an ally"), then it can't be used at that moment, but the alien power is still viable for the encounter when it would normally trigger.

It really does depend on the nature of the Super. In most cases, the Wild has a theme-related similarity to the alien power but usually triggers at a completely different phase and with a different effect. Supers tend to just enhance the existing alien power or allow it to trigger in additional phases/circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question regarding the Card Zap.

If you Card Zap a Flare. For that encounter, has that player played a flare and can not play another flare. Or can the player play another flare.

I assume the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
Another question regarding the Card Zap.

If you Card Zap a Flare. For that encounter, has that player played a flare and can not play another flare. Or can the player play another flare.

I assume the latter.

The rules state that a player can play only 1 Flare per encounter, however, an advanced variant (included later in the rules) called Freewheeling Flares allows for multiple Flares to be played, although each Flare can only be played 1 time.

I happen to like Freewheeling Flares because it can really increase the chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:

The question is, does it count as being played if the play is canceled. I would say yes. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the more intuitive answer. You played it. The fact that it didn't do what you wanted doesn't change the fact that you played it.

The question is complicated by the Anti-Matter flare, which says that when a player tries to use a wild flare, you prevent him from doing so. This kind of makes it sound like the other player's flare never actually gets played.

Still, for simplicity, I would treat it the same as a Card Zap in that what it's really doing is "canceling" the play, rather than preventing it from being played in the first place. I think the wording change is because you don't have to discard your flare if it's blocked by Wild Anti-Matter, whereas you do discard if it's blocked by a Card Zap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Bailey
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, the warrior never has the bold, italicized use on ANY card, therefore nothing in particular can be zapped. The rules on page 12 on zapping powers explicitly state that the warriors main power cannot be zapped, as it is never used , and the text on the super flare is not bold/italicized either. Therefore, it still cannot be zapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.