Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a situation in which a player was both Admiral and President. The crisis card was an either or, that resulted in a morale loss (I think) or the President could choose to give the Pres. title to the Admiral. The human players wanted to allow the 2nd option, to avoid the resource loss, but I objected, since you are basically allowing the President, who also happens to be the Admiral give the title back to himself.

No agreement could be made, so we just drew another crisis card, but I think that the human interpretation was taking things a bit too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your humans had it right. The fact that the Admiral was already the President makes no difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking upon the rules I can´t find something that would disagree with the human point of view.

But in our gaming group there always is the opinion that you shall not exploit the rules system but play in a way that feels thematic and realistic. And it is indeed really weired to give a titel to someone who has the titel.

Like "Hey, okay, our actual crises forces me to dismiss our president - ahm, that´s me! - and to present you the NEW president - right, folks, that´s... ME!"

We would not play that such way because we want to play a game and have fun when getting into the roles of these characters. BUT: I can´t find a rule that bans giving the titel to the one with the titel. Simply speak with you gaming group and solve that one before playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not explicitly stated in the rules, I would rule in favor of the human players as well. The rationale behind that opinion is that the rules do state that unless a crisis card specifically states otherwise, you can choose an option that you cannot technically fulfill. For example, you can opt to have the current player and President discard cards even if neither have enough cards in their hand to reach the number needed to discard.

Yeah, it's kind of a stretch for a comparison, but I think it shows an overall intent of the cards lies with being able to resolve choices with minimal resistance unless the card specifically states otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had meant explicitly about that specific situation. :) But your finding the rule quote and posting it here should answer the OP's question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After i posted that here, I went through some of the other threads and found the one about being able to chose an option, even if you didn't have the cards to fulfill the discard obligation that the designer had posted in.

Thanks for the input everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
32 pages... not the shortest either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But it does have it's fair share of ambiguity, which is why people come here looking for clarifications, not smart assed remarks. But thanks for playing anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually the only "Advantage" , so to speak, of having both titles *unless of course you know you're completely loyal...but how could anyone know for sure? ;p*

You'd be able to pick a choice like this and negate the resource loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
But it does have it's fair share of ambiguity, which is why people come here looking for clarifications, not smart assed remarks. But thanks for playing anyhow.

I'd have to agree. It's not long, but it's not short either, and there are enough ambiguities that it's not always completely clear.

I generally find a lot of FFG rulebooks hard to locate specific rules in, even with indexes. Not as bad as some game companies, but definitely worse than many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wells
United States
North Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second option is pretty easy to justify, I think. The card is essentially saying: "you cannot pass this crisis unless your admiral and your president are the same person." The fact that those conditions were already filled before the card was drawn only makes them easier to meet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellfrosch wrote:
The second option is pretty easy to justify, I think. The card is essentially saying: "you cannot pass this crisis unless your admiral and your president are the same person." The fact that those conditions were already filled before the card was drawn only makes them easier to meet.

See, but the card does not say that. It is saying that the President must willing surrender the title to the Admiral. In this case however, due to Cylons revealing themselves and other cards, the Admiral was already president. I saw this as an easy out the person with the title wasn't losing a thing to do the 2nd action on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Viddal
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Eustace
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
See, but the card does not say that. It is saying that the President must willing surrender the title to the Admiral. In this case however, due to Cylons revealing themselves and other cards, the Admiral was already president. I saw this as an easy out the person with the title wasn't losing a thing to do the 2nd action on the card.

Well, from a thematic standpoint the game associates martial law with a situation where someone holds both the Admiral and President titles. From that perspective the mentioned crisis card is telling the President "either declare martial law or something will happen to demoralize the population". If a player already holds both titles, martial law is already in effect and the demoralizing event has already been averted.

Or that's the way I see it, at any rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad way to interpret that event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.