Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Kurcina
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Formula D after reading a lot about it. It is very fun but a bit light for me because it seems that the dice have too much control at the top gears. And Wow! It also seems like it'd be very difficult to keep your car in play for more than 2 laps let alone something like a real-life 77 laps for Monaco Grand Prix. I propose this variant concept but I have yet to try it out. I think it will work without making the game crunchy.

Needed
A regular D6 or a blank six-sided cube with one face marked with a skull symobl or equivalent. Give each player 5 counters/poker chips/tokens. These represent Alertness.

Skill and Alertness
After rolling his die for movement, a player may elect to use skill and either increase his speed by 1 or reduce his speed by an amount up to the numeric value of the current gear. So,3rd gear can reduce speed by 1 to 3 and 5th gear by 1 to 5.

Fatigue Roll
If Skill is used, the player reduces his driver's Alertness by 1 and must then perform a Fatigue Roll on the D6. If the die shows a '6' [ or that unique symbol if using a custom die ], Alertness must be reduced by one more. If there is no Alertness remaining and this happens, the driver messed up; see "Messing Up".

Messing Up
* If car is in the red corners, reduce Brakes by 1.
* If car is in the space just prior to the red corner art; reduce Gearbox by1.
* Otherwise reduce Engine by 1.

Resolve loss of any of the above accordingly.

Pit-stop
As soon as the player's card leaves the pit-stop, he regains 2 Alertness.

Bonus Ding
Whenever a player's car gets dinged in a collision [ i.e.; loses Body ], the driver must make a Fatigue roll as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nice idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sounds nice.

Being lazy I also like another idea suggested by a formula D fan of buying or creating dice with tighter ranges (it is another thread someone on this page if you care to look).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kurcina
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The effect of Alertness is sort of like "super brakes" or "super tires".

I tried this variant out just today and I think it needs a bit of tweaking. The 6 Alertness at start for each player was very nice in that respect and allowed players like myself to not bother with downshifting into turns but there wasn't enough risk and the compensation it provided for bad luck rolls was too great. After a lap two of us has Alertness down from 6 to just 1 and 2.

So a few ideas on the variant came about after the game session such as increasing the chance of losing 2 Alertness to a roll of "5" or "6" instead of just "6". Another idea was to use the current Alertness as the braking factor instead of the current gear; as Alertness goes down so does the amount of braking it could provide.

But I think that the best idea was to reduce it from 6 to 3. This gives a lucky player about 3 forgiving stops each lap, and the truly unlucky player 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.