Subject: Lots of fun with Crown and Glory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladimir Atehortua
Colombia
Cali
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report is about the Crown & Glory Expansion for Warrior Knights. I have highlighted in bold the stuff from the expansion, so that it's easier to see how the expansion affected this particular session. Also players are encoded with their respective colors.

This was our second game of WK:C&G, And there were 3 of us: [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR], Juan and me.

We played the Crown & Glory expansion with the following:
* C&G variant with garrisons, levies, scholar, etc.
* The king variant, but with only 7 influence per player (for an earlier king) and "game ends when someone has 18 influence (for a longer end-game)
* A few agendas removed (traitor to the crown, banned from the assembly, ambassadors, and others)
* No missions

I had setup the table the night before, and this is what it looked like:

Note: we were expecting a 4th player who was to play black, but he didn't arrive, so next morning I had to re-setup a few things
Also note: see larger image, and notice how we use breach tokens in the mercenary track to "hide" those spots that are not usable (only N+1 should be open). This is much better than trying to remember all the time and I recommend everyone to do this.

So the game begun, and I started with all my 4 nobles on the board, while [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR] and Juan only had 3.

My idea was to send a noble (the circle one) to capture Chira and then immediatly sail abroad for one of the juicy overseas cities. For such a plan and having 4 nobles at the table, I needed troops, so I played 2 "Draft Soldiers" cards on my firs turn

Meanwhile, [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR] (then the Pope) got very lucky with two events that basically gave him 3 or 4 faith tokens, pretty much ensuring him the corrupt position of the head of the churn for a good part of the game. Juan and I knew then that we were up for a challenge.

Soon an expedition was founded, but not by the initiative of the Chairman (Juan), but because of the insistence of [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR] (the Pope) who went as far as to bribe Juan with 1 crown to convince him to found it. Juan agreed then, although had the apparent lack of wisdom as to not invest himself in the expedition. Me, knowing that the Pope had spent money to get the expedition founded, could not avoid to invest knowing it was sure to be blessed.

Soon begun the mercenary draft, and my 2 "Draft Soldiers" cards allowed me to hire 250 troops from the finest available on the land. while Juan's "draft soldiers" card showed up late, right AFTER the recruitment. Nevertheless, Juan being the dirty devil that he is, soon played hardball on me: the third deck of actions from the first game round was playing, before my "levy taxes" cards showed up, Juan had a "serve the church" card that he played to the wages area, triggering a wages phase. It was then that his initial move of not investing in the expedition suddenly seemed not so unwise, but truly evil. I found myself unable to pay for my mercenaries, so I lost them having not ripped the slightest benefit from them (nor from the money that it costed me to hire them!).

[BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR] (the pope) also lost a few troops, but it was very clear that it was me the one who got the shorter end of the stick. I was literally crippled, and as if it wasn't enough, during mid-game the cards seemed to be playing against me. Juan managed to purchase an advancement card called "Propaganda" which throughout the game saved 4 of his cities from revolting (thus saving him a fortune in crowns/faith). Another Propaganda card showed up available, and I spent the Enrich Mind cards necessary and got ready to acquire it, but just right before my card showed up, a neutral event allowed the Scholar ([BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR]) to discard one of the advancement cards, and that bastard (who was winning by then) chose the very one I was going after to prevent me from getting it. leavng only "iron blades" (+1 victory) and two other advancements that were too expensive ("siege" and something else, both priced at 3 knowledge tokens).

More and more of a loser with every card, when my Enrich Mind card finally showed up I had to settle for the "+1 victory" card, and secretly swore to have my vengeance against [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR] (who was winning and was the Pope and the Scholar). Of course after missing out on "Propaganda" I kept getting revolt after revolt while my Garrisons did nothing and my enemies just laughed at me, but eventuallly, the Pope's deal with the devil appeared to start to languish. His luck begun to abandon him, and the winds of justice and righteousness begun to fill my sail: The pope sent his circle noble to conquer Constantinopla, and while on the habor, a blue event of "broken line" showed up. I proposed to Juan that we paid one faith each to cancel it, but the evil pope soon intervened saying "no no no, let it happen, let it happen" and convinced Juan from not helping cancel the event. Fortune would have it, that the randomly chosen baron for the event turned out to be the Pope ([BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR]), and the chosen noble was the one en-route to Constantinopla. The Pope didn't really worry about his noble, who anyway only carried enough troops to siege but not assault Constantinopla, so the Pope perhaps believed that his noble wasn't at risk at all... he was completely ignorant of my plans and my thirst for revenge.

Further proof of his upcoming bad luck, a second expedition that had been blessed and in which both the Pope and I nad invested 3 crowns each first drew "fleet lost / no news", and on a second round it drew "fleet lost / fleet lost". The angels of hell were conspiring against Andrés for having being such an evil Pope.

My circle noble, who had just captured Chira and gotten the office of "Admiral" (to him, overseas cities appear adjacent), was refreshed with Forced March and assigned to travel to constantinopla and prevent the completion of [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR]' siege of it, and if possible, eliminate his heirless noble for greater glory of mine. Luck even smiled at me, because a Town Levies event came up just before my noble traveled, allowing him to acquire 100 levies troops, which he really needed (for having lost the mercenaries) with which he could aspire to capture constantinopla after defeating the Pope's army there.

With my armies I traveled to constantinopla and attacked the opressor's army. The Pope, (who was winning the game) attempted a failed strategy of using "+Victory" cards, but my righteous cause earned me a deck full of "deal 100 casualties" against which his round noble was left powerless, leaving the game with no heir to take his place and thus even losing his troops for the baron.

Despite the fact that my noble efforts to stop his holiness had been successful, fortune had it that it would not be me the one to enjoy the fruit of such hard work, and it was Juan who took advantage of the situation overseas to take over the whole east side of the kingdom and claim leadership in influence by the time the influence pool ran out. Juan took the crown, and the king's armies, and soon grabbed the positions of head of the church and chairman of the assembly. At the crowning ceremony, Juan had 16 influence points, I had only 8 and [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR] had 13. (We were playing to "first player to get 18 wins)

Stunned by the come of events, the ex-Pope [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR] and I set aside our differences and rallied together to perform the only action that could possible prevent Juan from winning the game at the upcoming upkeep phase: to destroy his stronghold, so that he would not take any influence from his 4 cities.

It was the divine will, that [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR]' cards showed up first, and he sent his two best nobles to attack the King's fortress, for which I granted him safe passage through my roads. Nevertheless, the 900 strength stronghold turned out to be too much for the feeble nobles of the ex-Pope, whose attack was completely futile, leaving the fortress intact and it's defenders unscratched. The King's troops laughed defiantly after their victory with which they sent both of the ex-Pope's nobles to the grave. the ex-Pope ([BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR]) only had one noble at the board now and his situation was pitiful.

The time came for my noble warriors, two of whom mobilized at unison towards the king's stronghold, still intact despite the previous attack. The King's fortress took its 9 fate cards keeping 7, of which 3 were "+1 victory", 3 were "prevent casualties", y one as "deal casualties". It was right there that purity of hearth, piety and righteousness of my nobles paid fruition, because of the 7 fate cards they took (of which I could only keep 5) ALL of them were "+1 victory". This had not been seen ever before in the history of the kingdom, and given [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR]'s humiliating defeat in his previous attempt at the stronghold, this could only be taken as a divine sign.

With my five "+Victory" plus the one from the advancement card, I ensured a crushing victory, and not only destroyed the usurper's stronghold and claimed the crown for its righteous owner (me), but also ensured that the game would not end ant the upcoming upkeep phase (since the usurper, having no tstronghold would not receive any influence from cities) allowing [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR] and me a chance at winning.

The round ended and my feats had catapulted me up to par with everybody else: we all had 16 influence and the game would end at 18. During the first deck of actions of the next round, the ex-Pope ([BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR]) recently defeated and now seemingly in decadence, pulled out a move that nobody expected: quietly sent his only noble to Acre (200 str) y la captured it by assault. We had all forgotten about an old law granting 2 instant influence to whoever captured an overseas city. right then I realized the true cost of having had my admiral back from constantinopla back to the kingdom, and having made such a big mistake could not consider myself worthy of the king's crown, and thus, I had to concede the crown and the glory to [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR]:

Note: [BGCOLOR=#FFFF00]Andres[/COLOR] was so excited by his victory that he put the wrong token under Acre for the picture (should've been yellow instead of red).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Waters
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review boss.

Warrior Knights is my favorite game probably ever and this is almost a perfect session report of it. The emphasis on the key words and players made it very easy to understand and actually helped me learn some of the more experience-oriented rules and tricks.

Bravo Mr. Atehortua

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, very cool winning by a old forgotten law. =)

But i do have a question, you wrote:

The pope sent his circle noble to conquer Constantinopla, and while on the habor, a blue event of "broken line" showed up. I proposed to Juan that we paid one faith each to cancel it, but the evil pope soon intervened saying "no no no, let it happen, let it happen" and convinced Juan from not helping cancel the event. Fortune would have it, that the randomly chosen baron for the event turned out to be the Pope (Andres),

I though you randomized the target of the event BEFORE you choose to cancel it or not. As per the box in the upper right corner of page 9...

Anyway, good report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.