Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up a copy of this game as it was cheap and looked interesting and easy to teach.

Game Components: Well made to Fantasy Flights usual standard. The box is the smallest I've seen with the most amount of stuff packed into it. There's a board depicting a picture of Renaissance Italy, 110 cards representing mercenary units and other special card types. a Condottiere and a Favour of the Pope token and 36 control markers of different colours.

A Couple of things I noticed straight away, was that I thought the art work on the cards was excellent and the board had a tendancy to bow up and not lay flat. This is a problem when trying to stand pieces on it to mark which regions you have won. I rectified the board problem by laying my copy of Arkham Horror on it till it laid down flat, ha! Condottiere mecenaries are no match for Cthuloid monsters.

Game Objective: The first player to have placed their control markers on a certain number of regions on the board is the winner. The number of regions to be won is affected by the number of players.

Game Play: Each player chooses a colour of control markers and the youngest player starts the game buy placing the Condottiere token in a region of their choice then dealing out 10 cards face down to each player. The game then consists of a round which may have multiple battles in it. On their turn in a battle a player can either play a card from their hand face up in front of them or pass, if the player passes however they cannot play anymore cards till the battle is over. The objective of each battle is to win the region the Condottierre marker is in by being the player with the highest total numeric value of mercenary cards face up on the table in the players 'battle line' at the end of the battle.

A battle ends when all players have passed or a surrender card has been played. The values of the mercenaries in each line are then compared and the player with the highest total wins the region. A new region is then chosen by the player with the Condottiere token and all battle lines are discarded, then another battle can occur if players still have cards in their hands. If at this point a player has no mercenaries in their hand they may choose to discard all their cards.

A round ends when only one player has cards left in their hand, this player must then discard down to two cards and then a new hand of cards is dealt to each player so they have 10 cards again plus 1 for each region they control.

The Mercenary cards are numbered 1 - 10 and are self explanetory, however their a quite a few special cards that can alter the course of a battle. -

Winter - This reduces the value of all mercenary cards in play to 1 and discards the Spring card if it is in play.

Spring - This enables each player to add 3 to the value of each mercenary in play which has the highest numeric value and discards winter cards in play.

Bishop - This makes all players discard their highest value mercenary card in play and also enables the player who played this card to gain the Favour of the Pope token. This token can then be played on a region which can then not be battled for by any player.

Courtesan - Although this card only has a value of 1, the player with the most of these cards in play gains the Condottiere token at the end of the round instead of the player with the highest total numeric value of mercenaries.

Drummer - This doubles the value of the mercenaries in the battle line it is played into but has no further effect in multiples.

Heroine - This card has a value of 10 and is also not considered a mercenary when the effects of Scarecrow occur or when Winter, Spring and the Drummer are in play.

Scarecrow - This card when played enables a player to retrieve a mercenary card from their battle line.

Surrender - This card enables a player to bring a battle to an immediate end when played.

Game Overview - I found the game quick to learn and simply to explain, even to my two young daughters. I thought however that when to play each card and how best to use the special cards added a great amount of depth to what at first appeared just to be a small cheap card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bay
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for the review! Been looking at this one for some time because of the niche I feel that it will fill.

What is your opinion on the replayability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:

Spring - This enables each player to add 3 to the value of each mercenary in play and discards winter cards in play.

Not quite. It adds three to only the highest value mercenaries that are on the table, for all players.

Example: Highest mercenary in play is a 6, yours and someone else's, they are both worth 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a superb game that comes in a small box at a small price. One of the best value for money games you can imagine (as oppossed to teh previous edition which was one of the worst!).

Plenty of replay.
Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
Oh yes, lots of replayability. I wouldn't worry on that score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Good review of a very good game. This one is a favorite of mine. Despite what others may think, I believe it scales well with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
citylife wrote:
One of the best value for money games you can imagine (as oppossed to teh previous edition which was one of the worst!).

The Euro Games edition?? I don't agree; that's solidly in the top ten hours-of-fun-per-dollar of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out the mistake with the Spring card Mark. Sorry about that blush have edited the sentence now, hopefully it makes more sense now.

I feel the replayability is very high, as each game battle is never quite the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladin wrote:
Good review of a very good game. This one is a favorite of mine. Despite what others may think, I believe it scales well with 2 players.

Palladin, do you use any 2-player special rules, and if so, which?
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the EURO GAME edition is certainly large, it wasn't expensive when it came out (DM 34,99 (aprox. 18,- USD) if I remember correctly). And the cards in the original are something to behold.

citylife wrote:
This is a superb game that comes in a small box at a small price. One of the best value for money games you can imagine (as oppossed to teh previous edition which was one of the worst!).

Plenty of replay.
Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is your opinion on the replayability?

Lots of replayability because of the cards and regional distribution. No game will be the same as the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.