Subject: Randomly Generated Japanese victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our second game of CC: Pacific today. Our first game had been a one-sided disaster not worth recounting except to say that every single Japanese unit was destroyed before the third Time event, without one US casualty ...

Today's game was much better. As usual, we used the Random Scenario generator. I played the Japanese, and Mike chose map B, and I rolled and selected side 3 to start on, making it a narrow configuration. It was 1944, Mike had elite US troops to my line troops. He chose a BAR platoon and I a Saipan detachment, giving him 7 VP. He spent 6 VP getting a second leader and a Heavy Machine Gun team, leaving him the Defender.

So I'm looking at attacking a small, elite, BAR force (ugly firepower) with a greater discard ability than mine. Since the random scenario generator allows a Japanese attacker to choose a night scenario, that's what I did. I figured it would level the playing field a bit, reducing his firepower and evening the discard abilities.

He had Sgts MacGowan and Fitzgerald, I had Sgts. Konburo and Obata - oof. MacGowan and three BAR squads had set up forward, near the center, and Fitzgerald and the rest of his troops (including the Hvy MG) set up on his right flank, protecting the "5" Objective as well as the high VP exit road. I split my forces pretty evenly between the two sergeants, with Obata and the weaker troops going for a flanking maneouver on my right. I chose two Sighting markers to give him an additional 2 VP, and he started with all five objectives in his control, for an additional 2 VP.

It was a fun and tense game! We played around with lots of the rules, including Starshells, nighttime mortar attacks, severe overstacking and melee. I never came close to him in VP, and we were one Time marker away from having to test for Sudden Death when I finally forced him to surrender with a melee.

To be honest, I was luckier than I was good. I had some very lucky events that gave me the win:

1. Most importantly, I was able to bring in Lt. Sanada for free with a Reinforcement event - normally a 6 VP purchase! He came in early and close enough to Sgt Konburo's forces to simply take them over. He made all the difference in the world.

2. I got a stealth event that allowed me to move an additional unit adjacent to his troops, allowing me to advance in with enough troops to win.

3. I got a sniper event that picked off a broken unit just before he *finally* drew a Revive card.

4. My Hero came in as an Infiltrator very close to his right flank, and I had a Move, Advance, and Ambush card in hand! I moved up, advanced into melee, and broke a unit. He did win the melee, but on the next turn I was able to fire at the broken unit and eliminate it.

5. I had one seriously overstacked hex as a result of a major melee (13 figures for a -6 to my morale!!!), and though he broke every unit in the hex, he couldn't eliminate even one of them before I was able to advance some of them out of LOS and Revive the others.

So I got lucky. Still, as I said, it was close - I would have lost on VP, perhaps even in the next five minutes, who knows?

Good fun! The only thing I miss in CC: Pacific is the Point Value Design Your Own system found in CC: Mediterranean. (See my Excel spreadsheet for that at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/33890.) Any chance of getting those numbers for CC: Pacific, Chad? We love that system for CC: Europe/Med, and it's the only way we play that any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I got a stealth event that allowed me to move an additional unit adjacent to his troops, allowing me to advance in with enough troops to win.

I choose this as an example. You are being far to hard on yourself.You didnt randonmly win , you were in position to take advantage of the cards as they fell you. Thats what CC is all about, being ready to take your opportunities when they arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The only thing I miss in CC: Pacific is the Point Value Design Your Own system found in CC: Mediterranean. ... Any chance of getting those numbers for CC: Pacific, Chad?

Most likely, Steffan. It will probably end up as an article in a future issue of C3i magazine.

Glad to see folks enjoying the RSG. It's still my favorite way to play the game. Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.