Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted an interview with Matt Wilson of Privateer Press at my Appy Entertainment blog. Click here to read it.

The interview recognizes Matt and Privateer with our first "Militant Optimism" Award, given to companies exemplifying the positive mindset required to thrive with new ventures in creative businesses.

The article also features a first look at some visuals from the next Monsterpocalypse release: I Chomp New York.

While you're at the blog I invite you to read some of our other content. Appy Entertainment is my iPhone game development startup that will be producing games of interest to my pals here on BGG. We haven't yet announced our first game, but our blog is an eclectic snapshot of our ideas, inspirations and snarky observations as our infant company takes its first baby steps.

Join us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Moeller
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That's the first good look at the new monuments I've seen!

Great - now I'm going to have to get everything from this set, too....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
musashi77777 wrote:
Wow. That's the first good look at the new monuments I've seen!

Great - now I'm going to have to get everything from this set, too....

Yeah, Matt said that photo of a game-in-play was the first time they'd revealed those elements in such detail. It was very good of him to give us the first exclusive for these images.

I gotta get me one of those Statues of Liberty to use like a baseball bat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it looks like we get the Statue of Liberty, Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, and the UN as Monuments. Shadow Sun Syndicate gets a new Shinobi type (with a gun, it looks like, and an elite form), Terrasaurs get a flying unit (with an elite form).

That's about all I can definitively spot from that pic. Anybody see anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
So, it looks like we get the Statue of Liberty, Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, and the UN as Monuments. Shadow Sun Syndicate gets a new Shinobi type (with a gun, it looks like, and an elite form), Terrasaurs get a flying unit (with an elite form).

That's about all I can definitively spot from that pic. Anybody see anything else?

It looks like a new SSS tank around the radar array.

And the original releases said that there were only 3 monuments, and one (non-unique) Insurance HQ. So one of these buildings probably isn't a named monument after all; don't know which one, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

Yeah the Gun Shinobis and the Terrasaurs flyers are not new news. They mentioned those in the stategy guide sneak peak. Glad to see they monuments though. Especially since the inclusion of the Chrysler building wins me a bet I had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
And the original releases said that there were only 3 monuments, and one (non-unique) Insurance HQ. So one of these buildings probably isn't a named monument after all; don't know which one, though.

I don't either. They're all pretty obviously supposed to be their respective landmarks:

*Maybe* the UN HQ is supposed to be an "insurance building", but that seems lame. My guess is that they changed the allotments, and you won't get a whole set in a booster case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each monument comes with an insurance building so the case will have: 3 insurance buildings, 1 statue of liberty, 1 chrysler building, 1 empire state building, and 1 of each of the 12 monsters in 15 booster packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
*Maybe* the UN HQ is supposed to be an "insurance building", but that seems lame. My guess is that they changed the allotments, and you won't get a whole set in a booster case.

Another possibility is that they are going to make another Map Pack. I honestly assumed that was the plan: if you're going to have New York monuments, include some New York maps, right? If that's the case, then the fourth monument could be for that set.

OTOH, Wikipedia claims that the Chrysler Building served as an insurance company building for some portion of its lifetime. So they might have just used the sculpt to represent insurance companies in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's going to be a new map in the Strategy Guide, but I don't know about a whole new map pack, that would bring the map total up to 18:

- 2 in starter
- 2 in Rise: Strategy Guide
- 6 in first map pack
- 2 in ICNY Startegy guide

-6? in ICNY Map Pack?

That seems excessive to me at this point in the game's lifespan. I haven't even had time to explore the existing 10 maps with the existing 12 monsters. We're getting 12 new monsters to deal with, so another 8 maps would be overkill. Plus, it would set up future sets with the expectations of map packs, too.

My money is on the Chrysler Building being the Insurance building, given it's past use as one, and the fact that it currently bears the name of a company (potential legal issues with using the naming?), whereas the other three lack the trademarked name issue.

If they do do another map pack, though, I'd love to see the building be a Coney Island type amusement park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final answer, now that the set has been released: No UN building. The building formerly known as UN is the Insurance Company HQ. The actual figure does look less like the UN building than the picture led me to believe: the octagonal shape of the building is more obvious, and the part near the bottom isn't a great match either.

They also changed the Empire State Building to the Imperial State Building, and the Chrysler Building to the Crystalline Building. The Statue of Liberty, however, is unchanged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.