Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier Salvador

Badalona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are a TRUE gamer, there is no need to always play by the rules. TITAN is probably a game for grown-ups, but if you have a 4yo son and a 5yo godson, TITAN is much more than the written rules inside. This is a session report for last sunday, at my son birthday party with the family.

Look at that MONSTERS: they rock! Here begins the first para-game: an extremelly enjoyable experience of question-aswer-reply for each and everyone of the monsters.

·What is this? An Ogre. Oh, I know, an Ogre like Shrek!
·And this? A Centaur, half man-half horse, like you saw at (Disney's) Fantasy. Yeah, and here's the horse with wings! It's a Pegasus, but here it has an archer called Ranger.
·And this? A Gargoyle. Like the ones in the Argonauts! (Ray Harrihaussen's Jason and the Argonauts, one of my son favorite films)
·Look that Dragon! And a Dinosaur! Ant what's that? A Cyclops. A Cyclops! Like the one on Simbad? (also Harrihausen's) Yes. Now take this is Simbad (he hands me an Ogre and he reenacts the film, Cyclops in hand).

Then there are NUMBERS! 4yo are already learning numbers up to 5 and 5yo know even more... Here you have a second para-game: a review of what are all those ratings and a comparison of who is stronger.

·What is this number? It tells how powerfull the creature is. Look at this (the Serpent), she wins. Well, perhaps, but she has a low skill....
·And these symbols? A bow allows you to attack at a distance and a wing allows you fly...

Then more para-games about the beautiful BOARD, the signs on the legion markers, the rolling of dice and the learning of the movement symbols, how to recruit... By the time we have done a couple of turns it was too late and the kids had to supper, and we had to stop.

Some will complain this is not the "proper" way of playing TITAN. And they will be right. Just there is no way to play it properly with the kids until they are more aged. So you have two choices: wait for several years until you can be sure to play "comme il faut" or just enjoy yourself and teach the kids there's gaming life beyond Nintendo!

In our case, I bet TITAN will hit the table often at family parties!

Oh, BTW, did I mention there was a 4th player? My 77yo father (who had given me the game as a Xmas present) will probably not play "proper" TITAN, but I'm glad he had an even greater time than me sharing the joy of the kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic session report!

You just pushed this from my 'want' list to my 'will buy soon' list. I think my 5 and 8 year old boys will love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for thinking out of the box. I have to look at taking this out with the 4 y/o and trying it. He can count very high and may have fun with the images.

Also seeing as how I have the VG edition and the Models that were used to create 90% of the tokens I may create images of battles for him and get him into the game even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Soule
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! My grandson and I went through something similar at Christmas with Bakugan. We ended up just rolling the bots around the board, watching them open up and looking at their cool designs. I tried to make it fun so he would want to attempt it again someday. Cuz, for kids and adults alike, games are about the fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.