Nippon Rails» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best (and Worst) Cities to Connect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
In all crayon rail games, an important part of winning is building your track efficiently. Knowing which cities generate the best returns, and which to rarely bother connecting, can help you build an efficient network. The loads supplied and demanded by a city largely determine that city's value to your network.

Using data from over 300 four-player matches, the table below shows the percentage of times a Nippon Rails city was served by the winning player's track. The major cities are at 100% because the rules require their service as a victory condition. As is true on many crayon rail maps, cities that monopolize the supply of a load can be important to victory, in this case Kumamoto (gold and pearls) and Kagoshima (glass).

Small cities can be served by the fewest number of players, so those cities can be important to connect early. The top two small cities are Shimonoseki and Niigata, which fall somewhat low in the rankings compared to the best small cities of most other crayon rail maps. The cities least often associated with victory are the distant ones on Hokkaido. These stats were generated via simulation by the EB Player computer program that can be downloaded from http://www.railgamefans.com/ebp

100.0% Fukuoka
100.0% Osaka
100.0% Sapporo
100.0% Tokyo
77.3% Kumamoto
63.3% Kitakyushu
59.9% Hiroshima
58.6% Kagoshima
57.2% Takamatsu
54.4% Sendai
53.0% Shimonoseki
44.2% Niigata
43.4% Nagoya
43.4% Beppu
42.3% Kanazawa
42.3% Wakayama
42.0% Omuta
41.4% Asahikawa
40.1% Matsumoto
39.8% Toyama
39.0% Miyazaki
39.0% Aomori
34.0% Kiryu
33.7% Muroran
33.4% Nobeoka
32.3% Kochi
31.8% Obihiro
30.7% Kofu
30.4% Tsuyama
27.3% Sasebo
26.2% Shizuoka
24.6% Tokuyama
23.8% Matsuyama
23.5% Morioka
23.2% Iwaki
22.9% Fukui
21.8% Rumoi
21.5% Fukushima
21.3% Nagasaki
20.4% Sakata
19.9% Hitachi
16.0% Aizu-Wakamatsu
14.1% Hakodate
13.8% Tokushima
11.9% Tsu
11.0% Hirosaki
10.2% Matsue
8.6% Kushiro
4.1% Abashiri
3.0% Wakkanai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crowder
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes for interesting reading, but except in a top level tournament its difficult knowing how best to make use of this. I don't picture myself connecting to a city on principle if my runs don't happen to lead me there.

Occasionally I may build through a city I don't need on my way to somewhere else, anticipating I may use that city in future so that it's worth the marginal additional expense ... I suppose this chart could indicate the worthwhileness of that philosophy in each instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I use the chart's data for both network build purposes and trip planning. I'll build to or near the popular cities early so as to secure a good/best route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.