Subject: Wife's first go at it! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife has never played this version and I have played it a whole lot on-line so I thought I would have an easy win here. My wife likes Carc, but only the non-confrontational style, so I am not trying to steal here cities or roads. I enjoy this style of play but after playing so much on-line it is hard not to be aggressive when I play.

Report: So the game started out just fine after I explained the rules and showed her all the new tiles. She thought the tiles looked really cool, and compared the resources to Settlers - so we where off and running.
I am not aloud to steal here cities, but with T&B I can close here cites for the resources, which can be a whole lot of fun. I wanted to keep track of the resources to score all the extra 30 points at the end. I closed her first city and then she closed mine, so we where getting no where fast. I was getting a lot of roads and she was getting a lot city tiles. The builder worked great for me to start, then he got trapped and was stuck till near the end of the game. I did finally trap her builder also, so she wasn't getting that many more free turns then me. When I finally got my builder back I really never got a chance to use him again. I got to lay him once and get a free turn, but it was by closing the city the builder was on, and I laid it one last time on the road but got no more road tiles after that ( it was really late in the game ).

She really liked the reason to close the other guys cities, it made her feel she was keeping me from bigger points down the road. I ended up taking 2 of the 3 resources, but she got 1, which was enough. Her cites in the beginning where to much for me to over come and I ended up losing by 4 points, which is a very close game - and the best part is since she won she wants to play again

Final Thoughts: I really like this addition, I really like it with I&C's, I think that is really cool using both expansions. I like the resources and the added level it adds to the game, some of the new tiles are also very cool, it is great having tiles that will close things that could trap you before. I can see us playing this one a lot more!

Game On'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crosbie
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I play it, the more I like this expansion. I originally thought it added too many city peices, but I have figured out how to cope with that issue.

Like you, I usually play Carc with my wife. We "overplayed" it a bit when we first got it, so we don't play it as often. Every time we do though, she always wants to play with IC& and T&B.

We just got A&M for Christmas and I have been itching to get this game on the table which will now include three expansions (which makes the game a somewhat lengthy now) and the two rivers.

I have P&D and The Count too, but those expansions never see the table with the wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris - love the avatar first off. I got A&M at GenCon and have not gotten it to the table yet, Mainly just Carc around here - I&C has seen a little time. So I have the 3 expansions only - can't wait to bust out the 3rd one. I also got Hunters & gathers and that sees some game time, but not that much all said and done, amazing I have friends say the rivers are to much to learn and Carc is easier? OK I guess?

Yep the wife and I played a lot of Carc early on, then I played a lot on line and learned to be aggressive and we don't really play that one much anymore.

She is a huge fan of Micropul , if you don't know it, it is a PNP, get the color tiles and you are set, so worth it I tell you, a great tiles laying game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crosbie
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to give some credit to an old on-line gaming service called MPlayer for the av, I took it from there before they shut it down. It was my first avatar so I got attached to it.

As far as the river goes, I wouldn't use it the first time I played with a newbie. The vanilla carc starting peice would be enough for them.

I find that with my wife, the river gets us, at the beginning at least, started off on our own features by forcing us to spread out our meeples. Now of course you don't have to play a meeple every time, but you don't want to leave open city tiles if you can help it, so I usually take them all.

This encourages us to at least finish our separate features before the games gets more competitive when we have stock of meeples to fight with.

Plus I find that it just adds another element to build a nice map. Which at the end is the most important thing if you lost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.