Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tiny bit off-topic, but there's a Toronto comedy troupe doing an improv take on the Battlestar Galactica series. It's called Battleawesome Awesomestar (I would've gone with Awesomestar Galacticawesome, personally ).

Details here:

http://www.baddogtheatre.com/modules/agendax/index.php?op=vi...

Quote:
BATTLEAWESEOME AWESOMESTAR
SUPERSTAR CAST PLOTS A COURSE FOR EARTH

Back after a sold out initial run, a ragtag fleet of heavily trained improvisors spin up the FTL drive on Moore’s hit science fiction series Battlestar Galactica and explore new territory a hilarious one-hour improvised satire...for FOUR SHOWS ONLY.

Set in a galaxy thousands of light years from Earth; join the last 49,317 survivors of humanity as they fight for survival. These refugees who escaped the initial attack that destroyed their home-world must now flee the Cylons - a race of robots who will not yield until every human being has been eradicated. Their only hope for survival is an unqualified President (Laura Roslin), an antiquated military Commander (William Adama) and his alcoholic Executive Officer (Sol Tigh) who must keep in check a righteous Captain (Lee Adama), a hotshot pilot (Kara Thrace), and bizarre genius (Gaius Baltar). Equipped with very little supplies, will these survivors find Earth and save the human race or will they be the end of it?

From the minds of Kris Siddiqi and Rob Norman (creators of such shows as Dreadwood, Mantown, and My First Crush) BATTLEAWESOME AWESOMESTAR guarantees laughs you won’t see coming on Dradis. BAAS has recruited a crew of Toronto’s finest improv veterans including Paul Bates (Second City), Christy Bruce (Ghost Jail Theatre), Paul Constable (Second City), Lisa Merchant (Train 48), Marcel St. Pierre (Bad Dog Theatre) and many more!

BATTLEAWESOME AWESOMESTAR
Saturday January 10th, 17th, 24th and 31st at 10pm
Tickets $10

I've got tickets to this Saturday's show (Jan. 17th) reserved.

Should be battleawesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a camcorder, I'll meet you on youtube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Take a camcorder, I'll meet you on youtube.

You know what? I'm going to go ahead and ask if I can take some shots.

Can't hurt to ask, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
It would certainly help their notoriety, and there's a world missing out on their performances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
awesome

those are all friends of mine in that show. Paul Bates and Paul Constable are amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Marcel. Holy shizz.

If I lived in Toronto, I'd be camped OUT at the Dog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And Marcel. Holy shizz.

Hmmm, well. Sars is over, the dollar is soft, and tourism is down, meaning deals are HOT! Come on over and visit us sometime! There are various show'n'stay packages that could get you in easy. Or just get your tickets online, and check out deals for hotels in town.

Paul: You're in Chicago! Chicago man!
I Mean, gee:
- I-90/94 east To Detroit & I-75
- follow the "To Canada" signs along I-94/I-75
- cross the river (maybe stop at duty free, get your favourite bottle)
- 401 to T.O.
- DVP south to Bloor.
- East on Bloor, crossing the bridge (which renames it to Danforth)
- PARK anywhere here
- "Dog" is 138 Danforth.
- go further east, and eat in GreekTown. (Patris at Jones is my favourite)

5 9 Lines of directions (2 of them for parking and restaurants!), 8 hours of driving. C'mon! You'll love it!

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Quote:
And Marcel. Holy shizz.

Paul: You're in Chicago! Chicago man!

Hey paul. gonna be in your neck of the woods.

My troupe The Imponderables is gonna be in chaicgo this weekend for Chicago Sketch Fest. Fri and Sat 9pm.

Here's a link to the fest:
http://chicagosketchfest.net/performers.html

I promise you it won't suck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be catching this on the 24th...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
9 Lines of directions (2 of them for parking and restaurants!), 8 hours of driving. C'mon! You'll love it!

And as soon as I get a car, I'm there.

Probably in time for the Toronto Improv Festival.

Note to the Dog: Apply this show for the TIF, thxbai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw it on Saturday. I did send a few e-mails to the director and the writers for the show about video recording; they said they'd discuss it, but I never got a final answer before the evening, so I didn't record anything.

Excellent - recommended to any fan of BSG.

High points:

Gaius Baltar is played by an audience member - this results in the sort of confusion and odd behaviour that you might expect from old Gaius.

The cast members are given a sealed envelope at the beginning of every performance. No one knows who will be the cylon - one is revealed before the end of the show.

The actress playing "Number 6" (Well, Gaius' virtual-6 to be precise) asks for a common object at the beginning of the show. Audience members responded with toothbrushes and cell phones (to some confusion in the cast, as they ended up using both items) which were, as it turned out, sabotaged by Gaius.

Billy has a secret crush on Roslin.

The lack of toothbrushes is giving Roslin terrible plaque. At one point she bemoans her fate to Adama. "I have plaque... AND cancer!"

"Kat" is secretly drugging Gaeta and "Hot Dog" in their sleep and... well.. does terrible things to them.

"Hot Dog" has a problem with, uh... idle hands. Tigh suggests they put him in boxing gloves.

The cast mixed up Captain (Lee) Adama with Commander Adama (and Admiral Adama) at several points, to much hilarity.

One exchange: "Apollo" is my Christian name. Lee is my handle."

"Bill, he doesn't even know his own name. He must be a frakkin' skinjob."

Starbuck hits Tigh at random intervals.

The climax has to be seen to be believed.

Sorry I couldn't record it for YouTube. Maybe the makers will do it themselves at some point (I suggested it several times in my e-mails to them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.