Popular Tags: solitaire [+] player-aid [+] [View All]
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is just so much fun I wanted to be able to play solo and did not like the other variants posted here. I like the idea of competition but wanted to see if a solo flyer could make it through the game. So without further ado here is my variant for solo play of Galaxy Trucker.
-------------------------------------

This is a variant for playing Galaxy Trucker with only a single player. You will fly only a single ship with no competitors. All rules of the game are followed with the exception of the following listed below.

Tile pool. Use a limited number of tiles for each round. Do not return used tiles to the pool after the end of each Round.
Round 1 = 20 tiles (Class I ships contain 17 empty spaces).
Round 2 = 30 tiles (Class II ships contain 25 empty spaces).
Round 3 = 40 tiles (Class III ships contain 35 empty spaces).
Timer. When you notice that the timer has run out you must turn it over. If the timer runs out on the Start spot and you are not finished then place any tile in your hand and start the race in the 2nd position as determined by the Round card.
Foresight. No examining of the adventure cards is allowed.
Adventure Cards. Reduce penalties and awards as if it were a 5-player game and you are the 2nd person encountering the card (see The Big Expansion page 7-8 for specific examples). That is, all bonuses and penalties are 1 less and for laser fire ignore the first blast of heavy cannon fire.
End of Round bonuses.
Best looking ship bonus is paid only for zero open connectors.
Finishing bonuses are determined by your position on the space flight board.
The red start space and the 5 spaces behind it are 3rd place.
If you finish more than 6 spaces behind the red start space you get the 4th place bonus.
If you finish in the 6 spaces in front of the red start space you get the 2nd place bonus.
If you finish more than 6 spaces in front of the red start space you receive the 1st place bonus.

Comments
Ship building. Time will be an issue and you may not be able to finish your ship and your ship design will be limited by the tiles drawn. Round 1 seems to be the most difficult to finish as you have the shortest amount of time and the fewest extra tiles to complete your ship.
Combat Zone cards can be devastating since you are the only ship and thus suffer all effects.
Keep track of your scores to compare to other attempts. If you can score over 50¢ start adding in Rough Road Ahead cards for a more challenging flight.

See link farther down for the PDF as the rules have been revised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some thoughts -
I don't think a time limit works well with solo game. Negligent players who don't watch the timer actually end up getting more time because they don't flip it as soon. This isn't a problem at all in multiplayer as it's only important that everyone is following the same time limit, and you only get more time if your opponents (that already finished) are negligent in flipping it over).

The limited number of tiles is a great idea! It makes building your ship really feel like you are solving a puzzle, rather than just scouring the tiles looking for a specific one you need. Now you know exactly what is available to you and you have to decide how best to put it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ditch the sand timer and use one with a bell. I give myself 3 minutes for the first ship, 4 minutes for the second and 5 minutes for the third and just use the whole pool, though I agree a limited puzzle could be neat too.

I really like your scoring suggestions though... I'll give them a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to use a kitchen timer for most games with a sand timer. Mine from GT has a few large grains in it and tends to 'stick' every so often and needs a tap or two to get it moving again.

For the limited number of tiles it really is tricky to keep honest and only flip one tile at a time over your board. I did have one case of a Class I ship with no engines, luckily open space never came up that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Available as download:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo/38510
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Combat Zones seem too devastating with the solo-player suffering all the effects.

How about only suffering the effects if you are equal to or below a certain multiple. For example, may a multiple of 4; this would be applied to the level of the Combat Zone so for level 1 Zones you would need more than 4 cannons, engines, and crew. Level 2 Zones you would need > 8 cannons, engines, and crew.

This way seems a lot more balanced and fair....at least you could best an area or two.

Thoughts???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Stewart
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With lack of people willing to play another game of galaxy trucker, I decided to try and come up with my own version of Solo Galaxy Trucker.

After reading Play as you pick I came up with these rules:

BUILDING SHIP:
1) Start with half a bag of tiles, turn them all over as normal.

2) You pay turn over the number of tiles equal to the maximum penalty for the stage ship you are building (i.e. Round 1 = 5 tiles, Round 2 = 8 tiles etc).

3) You may only choose from these tiles, once you place a tile from the face up 8, you may choose another random tile to turn over.

4) The ship building round ends when you can't, or don't wish to place any more tiles.

FLYING SHIP:
Do everything as normal except:

1) Start at the player 1 spot, for each space you are behind that spot, reduce the 1st player ending bonus by 1.

2) Only the bottom of Combat Zone cards apply.

3) Large Cannon fire may be shielded against.

4) There is no pretty ship bonus.
--------------------------------

I hope some other people will try this variant and let me know what you think. The tile limit made it a challenge to try and build my ship and resulted in being a very interesting game, even by myself. In making these rules I tried to keep it as simple as possible, so that it was easy to remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonster wrote:
The Combat Zones seem too devastating with the solo-player suffering all the effects.

How about only suffering the effects if you are equal to or below a certain multiple. For example, may a multiple of 4; this would be applied to the level of the Combat Zone so for level 1 Zones you would need more than 4 cannons, engines, and crew. Level 2 Zones you would need > 8 cannons, engines, and crew.

This way seems a lot more balanced and fair....at least you could best an area or two.

Thoughts???

Seems to work out ok taking all the damage. Too easy otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Baverstock
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
Electronic timer would be better in this instance. But i like it for the most part. The only rule you mentioned that i dont like is limited tiles. Building the ship is most of the fun for me. Seeing if it survives is the icing on the cake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing around with this Solo variant lately and found myself tweeking bits end pieces here and there. This is how I play at the moment. It´s work in progress! Maybe someone wants to give it a try / join in.

This is all based on the basic set without expansions.

- Tile pool. Use a limited number of tiles for each round (see table). Do not return used tiles to the pool after the end of each Round.
- No reserves in building phase.
- There is a maximum number of open tiles you are allowed to have in the drawing pool (see table). When this number is reached you must either stop, place an open tile or remove an open tile from the game for a cost (see table).
- You can buy new face-down tiles from the pool of unused tiles for a cost (see table)
- Timer. See table. You may also buy additional time (see table).
- Foresight. No examining of the adventure cards is allowed.
- Combat Zone cards can be devastating since you are the only ship and thus suffer all effects.
- During the game you may buy a dice roll to reduce the effects of a Combat Zone card (max. 1 buy per card). Costs: see table.
Roll a 1d6:
1-2: ignore 1st event.
3-4: ignore 2nd event.
5-6: ignore 3rd event.

Adventure Cards. Reduce penalties and awards as if it were a 5-player game and you are the 2nd person encountering the card (see The Big Expansion page 7-8 for specific examples). That is, all bonuses and penalties are 1 less and for laser fire ignore the first blast of heavy cannon fire. (Not using this because I don´t own the expansion)

End of Round bonuses.
- Best looking ship bonus is the max. bonus offered minus 1 credit for each open connection (never below zero).
- Finishing bonuses are determined by your position on the space flight board. See table. Added "no bonus" for being 12 or more place behind.

Comments
- Keep track of your scores to compare to other attempts. If you can score over 50¢ start adding in Rough Road Ahead cards for a more challenging flight. Scores might need to be re-adjusted. This is very difficult based on the randomness of the game. I´d love to see a good evaluation table or a win/lose condition.

Note: I added the buy options to have some more interaction with the game and to force some more decisions.

Here´s the table:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:

Adventure Cards. Reduce penalties and awards as if it were a 5-player game and you are the 2nd person encountering the card (see The Big Expansion page 7-8 for specific examples). That is, all bonuses and penalties are 1 less and for laser fire ignore the first blast of heavy cannon fire. (Not using this because I don´t own the expansion)

You don't need the expansion to play this rule. The expansion had bits for a 5th player but all the rules and cards were for up to 4 players. This rule tweak was for the 5th player. I felt it helped not reward or hinder the solo person too much.

I tried to keep the same feel of the base game with as few changes as possible. It seems like you have a lot going on (more than than in the base game). I do like having a limited number of tiles turned over. I tended to flip over most of the tiles in each round. Rather than buying tiles and such I propose to keep it simple. Allow only a certain number of exposed tile (as you proposed for each round 5, 8, 8, 10) then if you add a new face up tile then the oldest tile is lost. This would simulate another player taking the tile. You could keep the tiles on another ship board and just push off to the side oldest one when you add a new one. I'll give this a shot and see how it goes.

I like the tweak to nicest ship bonus too. (Max minus number of open connections).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised solo rules now up. Thanks for the comments Lines42. I added some of your ideas and tweaked a few things I had written in my notes. It plays a bit better now with the revisions. Or at least I don't score as high and have to work more for the better scores. With just 1 rough road card I average in the 20's (some games I make 50+ and some game I get knocked out by the adventure cards in every round).

Galaxy Trucker Solo Variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could add something to it ;-)

May you want to change the OP of this thread or mark it as outdated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker Solo Variant (v1.1 20130813)
--------------
Full rules with tables in the file section at the link above. The synopsis is below.
--------------

This is a variant for playing Galaxy Trucker with only a single player. You will fly only a single ship with no competitors. The intent of this variant is to make as few changes as possible so the solo variant retains the feel and flow of the original game. All rules of the game are followed with the exception of the following listed below. Round refers to the Class of ship being flown.

Tile pool. Use a limited number of tiles for each round. Do not return used tiles to the pool after the end of each Round (until run out).
o Round 1 = 20 tiles (Class I/Ia ships contain 17/17 empty spaces).
o Round 2 = 30 tiles (Class II/IIa/IIb ships contain 26/28/26 empty spaces).
o Round 3 = 40 tiles (Class III/IIIa/IIIb ships contain 35/35/35 empty spaces).
o Round 4 = 50 tiles (Class IV ships contain 44 empty spaces).

Tile selection. During the draw phase for each round the number of face up tiles is limited to 5, 8, 11, or 17/19/21 (the same numbers as the insurance value of the base ship for each round).

Timer. When you notice that the timer has run out you must flip it over. (Check before picking up each tile). If the timer runs out on the Start space and you are not finished then you stop and place any tile that may be in your hand.

Foresight. Only one stack can be examined after each flip of the timer. So in round 1 you can only look at one stack.

Start position. Based on the number of flips of the timer when you finish. If finish before first flip then 1st place. If you finish before second flip then 2nd place. And so on. If timer runs out on the start space then start in the position of the round number plus 2. So 1st round start in 3rd place, 2nd round start in 4th place, 3rd round start in 5th place, and 4th round start in 6th place.

Adventure Cards. Reduce penalties and awards as if it was a 5-player game and you are the 2nd person encountering the card. That is, all bonuses and penalties are 1 less and for laser fire ignore the first blast of heavy cannon fire. For specific examples see The Big Expansion page 7-8.

End of Round bonuses.
Best looking ship bonus is paid as the regular bonus minus the number of open connections. No penalty for a negative number.
Finishing bonuses are determined by your position on the space flight board relative to the red start space.
1st place = 7+ spaces ahead
2nd place = 1-6 spaces ahead
3rd place = 0-6 spaces behind
4th place = 7-11 spaces behind
5th place = 12+ spaces behind (no bonus)
If you encounter the red start space going backwards you have been lapped and have to drop out of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniele daniele
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, great solo variant.
I have a question: can you remove an open tile from game during building phase if you don't want use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.