Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well based upon other recommendation threads, I'm certain I'm going to purchase a Ticket To Ride game for my wife and I. None of the game pages state that they are best with two players, however.

Would you suggest one non-expansion version for 2-players over the others? Or are they all basically the same when it comes to the 2-player aspect?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2, I really like Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, if it's still available. It's also very good with 3 as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't consider Marklin for two. The passenger tokens are much better with a full table, IMO.

Your other choices are the original USA map, Europe, and Nordic Countries (which I won't call an expansion since there's a complete game in the box).

If you're only going to play with two, I'd pick either USA or Nordic Countries. Europe adds stations which prevent blocking, and blocking is something that increases tension. (With two, you can't be blocked, therefore there is less tension).

If you are ever going to have more than three, I'd pick USA, since Nordic Countries is a two or three player only game (unless you don't mind playing something other than Ticket to Ride when you have company). If you are never going to have more than three, I'd pick Nordic Countries.

Many people will say that the "Big Cities" expansion for the USA map in the 1910 expansion is a better two player game than the standard USA version. The extra $ you need for the 1910 expansion is worth it for the full-sized cards in addition to the chance to vary the ticket mix with different types of tickets.

My favorite edition with two is Nordic Countries. I like the map and ticket mix, which are specifically designed to work well with two or three players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren P
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
It depends on you and your wife. Do you enjoy being ruthless and cut-throat?
If not, I'd go with Ticket to Ride: Europe.
If so, I'd go with the original Ticket to Ride.

Nordic Countries would be good with 2 also, but I'm partial to the two listed above. Also, you can play up to 5 in case you and your wife ever want to break it out with more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride+Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 is what my fiancé and I play all the time. We have the Europe version too, but the way the tickets are initially dealt out means you might never fight for the same lines. There is much more competition in the US version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
For 2, I really like Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, if it's still available. It's also very good with 3 as well...

I am also really impressed with Nordic countries for two. Changing the power of locomotives improves the 2-3 player game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Huck, No,
United States
Sperry
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 after playing with a buddy (my first foray into real gaming). For Christmas I was lucky enough to get Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries for me and a copy for my buddy that has all the editions but Nordic.

My preference for 2 right now is Nordic but there is definately more conflict in Nordic than in USA. Swiss I hear is also great for 2 but requires a base set as well.

My recommendation of course is to get them all.

You can't take it ($$$) with you, right?

TOH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick suggestions! It will definitely be just 2 about 90% of the time, but I'm still trying to get some friends interested in gaming as well. Considering that Ticket To Ride is #1 on this geeklist, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/24731, perhaps USA is the version.

The Other Huck wrote:

TOH

You're right, you can't! The problem is there are so many other games I want too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been addicted to Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries lately. The last two times we pulled Nordic out we played three back-to-back games.

We also enjoy the Ticket to Ride: Switzerland expansion.

For two player I can't recall ever playing the original with less than three, although as stated above, if you or your partner are not too cutthroat it might be a good solution.

Except for Nordic and Switzerland, the other versions are almost always played with more than two player (in my limited circles).

Honestly, whichever version you end up with you can't go wrong. Except perhaps Marklin. I would suggest waiting to purchase Marklin until after owning one or more of the others.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Huck, No,
United States
Sperry
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nmadd wrote:
Thanks for the quick suggestions! It will definitely be just 2 about 90% of the time, but I'm still trying to get some friends interested in gaming as well. Considering that Ticket To Ride is #1 on this geeklist, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/24731, perhaps USA is the version.

The Other Huck wrote:

TOH

You're right, you can't! The problem is there are so many other games I want too!

That's what second jobs are for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Other Huck wrote:
nmadd wrote:

The Other Huck wrote:

TOH

Yes, but what if your wife already HAS a second job?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just placed the order for USA. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Huck, No,
United States
Sperry
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
The Other Huck wrote:
nmadd wrote:

The Other Huck wrote:

TOH

Yes, but what if your wife already HAS a second job?

Does she get to sleep? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
THE perfect 2 player game is Ticket to Ride USA. I tell you this cause I've been playing TTR USA since 2005 and with thousands of games played (mostly online...) I acquired some experience

TTR Europe: not so good

TTR USA Expansion: useless cause it destroys all the strategy of the base game (it's useful just for the big sized cards)

TTR Swiss: extremely bad gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Limes
msg tools
Get the europe version with the swiss expansion -

Europe has the tunnels that add alot to the game and it works well with two but even better with the swiss expansion as the board is smaller and you have to connect the surrounding countries - all in all really good fun

thats what I did and was a great into to gaming - when you get europe you also get a code to play online - there you can play usa and europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We like the Europe version.

Much more fun than the USA tbh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Ämmälä
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
Ticket to Ride+Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 is what my fiancé and I play all the time. We have the Europe version too, but the way the tickets are initially dealt out means you might never fight for the same lines. There is much more competition in the US version.

Base game + 1910 with big cities variant is the best option for enjoyable two player Ticket to Ride.

.mikko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.