Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to combine the fifth player from the second edition game to the third edition? I got my hands on the turqoise colored "cresent" control markers and would love to combine them with my game. Any thoughts from other gamers would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason I can think of. My understanding is that the two "random" generals (for which there are options for their use in any event), are assigned to a fifth player who uses the set-up/locations listed on those cards (there may be more but would come from components already in the game). If you have tokens, stands enough (easily found if not) and the rules (which explains things much better than I have) for a fifth player you should be good to go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally hunted down the second edition rules and located the information about the fifth player variant setup. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dukarrio
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group of friends, we have developped a standard for distributing the pairs of generals with two criteres:
-balance
-and the most near as it happen in History (they were not enemies and worked together)

so we distribute 5 couples: Perdiccas-Eumenes, Antipater-Antigonus, Craterus-Leonnatus, Ptolomeo-Seleucus and Lysimacco-Peithon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an answer I got from Mark Simonitch.

FIVE PLAYER VARIANT:
GENERALS: At the start of the game, randomly distribute Perdiccas, Ptolemy, Antipater, Craterus, and Leonnatus as the initial general cards (one to each player). After these cards are distributed, randomly distribute the remaining Antigonus, Eumenes, Seleucus, Lysimachus and Peithon general cards (one to each player). Each player should now have two Major Generals per faction, with no general cards inserted into the Tyche deck.

AUTOMATIC VICTORY: A player needs 20 province points or 18 legitimacy points to win an automatic victory.

NOTE: Cappadocia (Eumenes' home) starts completely full of independents, and Babylonia (home to Seleucus) starts full of Perdiccas' markers. How does that work when you start with Eumenes and Seleucus?

A player who draws Eumenes or Seleucus may either:
1. start them with their other leader or,
2. allow them to start in a province adjacent to their historical province. The province must have a vacant space. Allow them to place a control marker in the general's starting space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwboone wrote:
Here is an answer I got from Mark Simonitch.

FIVE PLAYER VARIANT:
GENERALS: At the start of the game, randomly distribute Perdiccas, Ptolemy, Antipater, Craterus, and Leonnatus as the initial general cards (one to each player). After these cards are distributed, randomly distribute the remaining Antigonus, Eumenes, Seleucus, Lysimachus and Peithon general cards (one to each player). Each player should now have two Major Generals per faction, with no general cards inserted into the Tyche deck.

AUTOMATIC VICTORY: A player needs 20 province points or 18 legitimacy points to win an automatic victory.

NOTE: Cappadocia (Eumenes' home) starts completely full of independents, and Babylonia (home to Seleucus) starts full of Perdiccas' markers. How does that work when you start with Eumenes and Seleucus?

A player who draws Eumenes or Seleucus may either:
1. start them with their other leader or,
2. allow them to start in a province adjacent to their historical province. The province must have a vacant space. Allow them to place a control marker in the general's starting space.

John, do we need special material or the 3rd edition has all the components for this 5th player variant ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you need to create your own counters for the fifth player. I used a print out of the turqoise crescent counters and created some cardboard counters all by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
5th player countersheet:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Information about this also posted here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.