Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9, under "The Turn", is the first time "Checking for Position" is mentioned. At this point, the position check for the end of a corner is referred to as the "racing position". For the rest of the rulebook, it is referred to as the "cornering position". This is no big deal, but the other misprint might be.

On page 9, under "Check Position", the Cornering position is described as "the first position of a straight tile after a corner". On page 10, under "Cornering", this position is described as "the end position of a corner".

Seems like the proper point for "Cornering" is the first position of a straight tile AFTER a corner. What do y'all think?

TK

My FLGS is supposed to get this today. Can't wait to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
On page 9, under "The Turn", is the first time "Checking for Position" is mentioned. At this point, the position check for the end of a corner is referred to as the "racing position". For the rest of the rulebook, it is referred to as the "cornering position". This is no big deal, but the other misprint might be.

On page 9, under "Check Position", the Cornering position is described as "the first position of a straight tile after a corner". On page 10, under "Cornering", this position is described as "the end position of a corner".

Seems like the proper point for "Cornering" is the first position of a straight tile AFTER a corner. What do y'all think?

TK

My FLGS is supposed to get this today. Can't wait to play!

This post confused the heck out of me so I had to read the rules to figure out what you meant. I"m still confused. I bolded the 2 parts in your post that seem identical to me. Am I wrong?

To me, logically, the first position of a straight tile after a corner doesn't make sense to be considered cornering when in real life, the bike would already standing up by this point. Imo, it SHOULD have been the last position of the last piece in a series of corner pieces. The paragraph on Page 10 about Cornering also mentions "The end position of a corner", which to me sounds like what I just described. However, it isn't. The Check position description on Page 9 clearly defines what the cornering position is. It also describes that the reason for this is to determine whom accelerates first out of the corner (In a straight line) if there are 2 players in this position side by side. It makes sense because this is the point in which FULL throttle can be applied. If it is applied IN FULL in the end space of a corner, there is a good chance the back wheel will slide out and possibly cause the rider to high side (get thrown off over the bars).

I do agree that on page 9 under The Turn, it should say "cornering position" rather that "racing position". This could be a misprint. Look ahead at page 12 under the Game Turn description there. It says "cornering" in that section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules on page 9 and 10 seem to conflict with each other. I'm suggesting page 9 is correct. Sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that "Racing Position" is probably a typo for Cornering Position. (I now think Cornering Position is a typo for Racing Position which is a bad translation of Acceleration Position.)

Further, agree with Adam that the rule on page 10 (last row of corner) makes more sense than page 9 (first row of straight after corner). (But I'm not the designer nor an expert.)

Definitely need clarification of which is right.

====================================================

I think the answer is "first row of straight after the corner".

With respect to a curve what are the two best places to be?

1) The straight just before the curve so that you can flip both dice. It makes sense to use a brake to end your movement without actually entering the curve.
2) The straight just after the curve. Again this gives you a big advantage over people still in the curve who can flip a maximum of one die. Again, it's advantageous to overwork the engine and the rear tire to move a space or two extra to clear the curve.

It's clear why the straight before is the Braking Zone. Your optimal position is going to be everyone's optimal position thus raising the possibility of affecting each other during the "braking maneuver" that you are doing that is only abstractly represented in the game.

"Racing Zone" is much better name for the "after curve" area than "Cornering Zone". "Racing Zone" means "Acceleration Zone". Where is the optimal position to be accelerating out of the curve in MGP? Just after the curve!

In my mind the intent of the rule is to punish all the people that just clear the curve so as to not take the curve penalty!

(Edited to post my thoughts after playing a couple of times.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.