Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least it's great news for ME! This will be my first (of hopefully many) published designs. Academy Games is already talking about a game series based on the Sturm Europa! system. They are committing to a nice sized print run with worldwide distribution. Additionally there is no contingency to print based on pre-orders as they are very optimistic about its prospects to become a top seller.

At this point I would say it is almost a certainty that it will see the light of day. The exposure for my design that has been created by BGG has been tremendous. I say without hesitation that none of this would have occurred had it not been for the grass roots support that developed on my BGG page. When I first created the game entry, it was quite dead. I think I was the only one clicking on the page for the first few months. But slowly as people began to visit and post comments or add the game to their wish list, it began to build momentum. In the past few months it has soared to over 8000 hits which is quite impressive for a game by an unknown designer who hasn’t even delivered a finished product yet. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for supporting my BGG page because you helped make this all happen!

Sturm Europa! is a World War II block / card driven grand simulation. There are elements that should appeal to a broad base of gamers. The combat system captures all the nuances of an operational level game without the massive unit count - so as a result plays very quickly. Economic development, tech research, and political interplay are just as important as slugging it out so there's conceivably an appeal to even euro gamers. If you want to learn more about it, please visit the Sturm Europa! BGG page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Mike! Great news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kelly
England
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Gratz to you too.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats again Mike! Looking forward to checking out your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Mike.

Will you be teaching people your game at the Wargame Boot Camp at the Strategicon shows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, that's great news.

Looking forward to seeing this and getting my hands on a copy. You'll keep us all updated, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Congratulations, Mike.

Will you be teaching people your game at the Wargame Boot Camp at the Strategicon shows?

I'll be running a demo all day Saturday at Orccon. I'll probably be doing shorter scenarios (Kursk, Overlord, or Barbarossa) from the noon-4PM timeslot which is when the official demo/event is slated for. Afterwards I'm hoping to run the entire war from 39-45.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Mike! Looking forward to putting your game through its paces...

Where have I seen this cover art before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
Congrats Mike! Looking forward to putting your game through its paces...

Where have I seen this cover art before?

The artist in Nicolas Trudgian. It's an existing piece that he was commissioned to paint a few years ago for a private collector and he sold some prints as well. He didn't indicate to me that it was in use with any other product otherwise we'd probably not have licensed it from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Buhler
Kansas
flag msg tools
First I've heard of this game! Looks awesome! Will this particular game cover the entire Second World War in Europe, or does this game just cover the Eastern Front? If it's part of a series, how many games are planned? Also, how does this compare to GMT's strategic level block games (Europe Engulfed/Asia Engulfed)?
Thanks for the info!
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
The artist in Nicolas Trudgian. It's an existing piece that he was commissioned to paint a few years ago for a private collector and he sold some prints as well. He didn't indicate to me that it was in use with any other product otherwise we'd probably not have licensed it from him.

Ah yes. I've seen his prints. Good choice! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I cannot wait to have this in my hands. I am really looking forward to placing on order for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mercenary1963 wrote:
First I've heard of this game! Looks awesome! Will this particular game cover the entire Second World War in Europe, or does this game just cover the Eastern Front? If it's part of a series, how many games are planned? Also, how does this compare to GMT's strategic level block games (Europe Engulfed/Asia Engulfed)?
Thanks for the info!
Mark

This game covers the European Theater of Operations from September 1939 through the end of the war - typically 1945. I'm getting way ahead of myself here but there is conceptual talk of a Pacific Theater game as well as an add-on to cover the Spanish Civil War, Khalkin Gol and events leading up to the war. The rules are intentionally written in a generic or open ended format. In otherwords you will find very few references to specific nations or historical events and there will be very few "exception rules" in the rule book. That sort of information will be found in the cards or the player setup sheets that will be entirely unique for every scenario. This allows the game to be "ported" easily to other genres and time periods. If you remove armor units from the game, the tactics heavily favor static defense so the system can be easily adapted to a WWI setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Michael! I'm not a huge fan of block games, but Sturm Europa looks interesting. I've been reading a lot of grand strategy books on the Russian front lately so I may have to check it out. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job Mike. Also I love the current box art. This is the first I've heard of the game and it looks interesting. I'll keep up with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Denhup
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why use blocks? Doesn't this add to the production and shipping costs to the game?

What makes this game different from "Europe Engulfed" or "EuroFront II?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilitĂ 
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilitĂ 
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! So I think for the end of the year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow. I want this! And good for you that it's Academy Games!

PAYDIRT wrote:
Why use blocks? Doesn't this add to the production and shipping costs to the game?

My favorite games are block games, mainly because limited information about enemy units makes things more fun & tense. (Easy step reduction is nice too, but the fog-of-war is the main thing for me.)

I'm not so concerned about increased production & shipping costs, as I've gotten many more hours-of-fun-per-dollar from some of my more expensive games than from some of my less expensive games.

PAYDIRT wrote:

Someone else will have to comment on Europe Engulfed (it does seem like this will occupy a nearly identical space), but just going by the blurb on Sturm Europa!'s page, it sounds like this has some neat stuff EuroFront II doesn't have:
- tracking of resources like oil, iron ore, and trained pilots
- tech trees
But a lot less detail in some areas:
- 150 land territories as opposed to ~450? (rough estimate) hexes & off-map areas
- 3-month turns instead of 2-week turns
- armies instead of corps (well, some units in EuF2 are armies)
- no Spanish Civil War
In exchange for that reduced detail, you get a greatly reduced playing time, and presumably a reduced playing area, ha ha. (EuF2 needs 4x6 for the map alone.) I might feel differently if I owned EE, but as it is, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PAYDIRT wrote:

They actually only weigh 1 lb per 180 3/4 inch blocks. Production is Uwe's department but it was discussed at length before I signed with Academy that the game will retail in the $80-90 range which is much less than the $100 price tag of either Europe Engulfed or EuroFront. Considering that we're doing mounted maps, 165 event cards, and full color rules in addition to the blocks, it's really an unprecedented value. Academy is going to do a large print run which allows them to do more for less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
PAYDIRT wrote:

My favorite games are block games, mainly because limited information about enemy units makes things more fun & tense. (Easy step reduction is nice too, but the fog-of-war is the main thing for me.)

I'll add that it is essential that I use blocks for the combat system. One of the fantastic things about blocks is that they provide a very elegent method of grouping units. Each BLOCK is a unit, but each STEP is a subunit that is easily defined for players. I handle blitzes, movement, retreats, and stacking limits with blocks. But I handle unit strength, firepower, and production with steps. Much of this stuff is typical with block games, but I'm taking maximum advantage of this built-in feature in ways that I'm not aware of in other games.

kuhrusty wrote:
Someone else will have to comment on Europe Engulfed (it does seem like this will occupy a nearly identical space)

I won't deny the obvious similarity to EE or EF from a very high level. What's interesting to me is that there are hundreds of hex and counter games that occupy a nearly identical space but they coexist happily in the minds of gamers. Some people are turned off by blocks, but I find them superior to counters in many ways, and hope to change some opinions.

First of all, as compared to Europe Engulfed, it is a three player game. The Soviets and Allies are two distinct sides that often share the same enemy, but are otherwise opposed. There are fewer turns and I've significantly reduced the block count. I also employ an alternating unit activation mechanic instead of the very structured turn sequence. This results in less downtime for players and no time lost plodding through a rigid sequence of play. The reduced complexity allows me to focus much more on the air war, politics, and technology of the war which are either completely abstracted or totally ignored by EE.

Even though I've reduced the length of time required to resolve land battles, the ebb and flow will be much more representative of what really happened. Although they are abstracted, the game has distinct mechanics to handle blitzes, encirclement, breakthroughs, static defense, defense in depth, hedgehog defense, and air support. Personally I find Europe Engulfed much too attritional in a nature and the encirclements occur on such a massive scale that they don't resemble at all what really happened. Combat in Sturm Europa! is much more about maneuver than attrition, at least early in the war. The Wehrmacht is simply unstoppable so long as they maintain their qualitative, technological, and air advantage. The Allies and Soviets on the otherhand are slowly trying to turn the war into one of attrition that will be decided by economics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Denhup
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers.

No doubt in order to make it a game, the more experienced player would be advised to play the German (Axis)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PAYDIRT wrote:
Thanks for your answers.

No doubt in order to make it a game, the more experienced player would be advised to play the German (Axis)?

Unquestionably. The game is more forgiving to first time Soviet and Allied players. I liken trying to play Germany just after reading the rules to trying to drive a Ferrari right after getting your learner's permit. I'd definitely suggest that if you have an experienced player introducing the game to others, that he play the Axis. As players become more experienced, things do even out though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
I also employ an alternating unit activation mechanic instead of the very structured turn sequence. This results in less downtime for players and no time lost plodding through a rigid sequence of play. The reduced complexity allows me to focus much more on the air war, politics, and technology

I'm going to need you to stop talking about the game until I have a copy, OK? Not another word! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am looking forward to this game. it sounds very interesting and I followed it through the threads for some time now. I hope Academy Games will use the same high standarts they used for CoH

Congrats!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.