Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a few questions after looking over the rules that I wanted to get straight before playing.

1. It appears all players start without any cards in hand. Is this correct?

2. When playing cards to the table there is no limit mentioned regarding how many may be played to the table in a single turn. Does this mean you can play as many as you like?

3. When playing Schedules and Routes cards, you may play them face-up or face-down. If played face-down, do you have to show them before playing? Can you change them from face-up to face-down later?

4. Is there a reason why drawing cards is not allowed until right before the playing cards phase? This seems to force players to evaluate their cards immediately rather than having time during other players' turns -- which may not even be an issue.

5. Can you ship more than one card from your hand per turn?

6. The scoresheet seems to imply that you score a point in any stock whenever you ship any express line. The rules don't seem to support this. Which is the correct interpretation?

7. The rules state that only face-up cards count during Routing Freight. There is no section on Routing Freight. Is this what Rerouting is?

8. Rerouting freight talks about "attacking" another player. However, once you make this decision, it appears from the rules that you only look at your own cards and logos. What does another player have to do with any of this? As an aside, it seems as though rerouting at one point was at least partially something else (such as the aforementioned missing routing).

9. Do the logos on the green die count as green for purpose of matching primary color? All of the die-roll examples in the rules show the Great Northern logo in the red-orange color it appears on the cards not as it appears on the die, i.e. as a green logo.

10. In the example on page 8 for figuring points, it states you must take one of the points but on the next says you may take the point. There is no mention of taking points as optional earlier. Is this something special for the Schedules (and possibly by extension Routes) cards? Since you can play schedule cards upside-down to protect them, this seems a rather odd choice to have.

Really looking forward to playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I had a few questions after looking over the rules that I wanted to get straight before playing.

No prob - that's why I'm here.

Quote:
1. It appears all players start without any cards in hand. Is this correct?

Yes. If you like, as a house rule, you can have each player draw 6 cards ON THE FIRST DRAW ONLY, though we tend to think this gives a slight advantage to the Blue/Red players.

Quote:
2. When playing cards to the table there is no limit mentioned regarding how many may be played to the table in a single turn. Does this mean you can play as many as you like?

Of course. The maximum any player can draw is 6 cards, so the most it would be possible to PLAY is six. If you want to place all of them on the table in one turn, go for it. With the hand limit being 6, it's rare that any players will hold cards [and the SR/WP players can't hold ANY if they want to draw!]. It's really to your advantage to empty your hand every turn to keep the points flowing.

Quote:
3. When playing Schedules and Routes cards, you may play them face-up or face-down. If played face-down, do you have to show them before playing?

Not really. There's absolutely no advantage to cheating here because you will have to reveal them to Hire an Agent.

Quote:
Can you change them from face-up to face-down later?

No. But you can discard the face down cards. This happens later when you want face up cards on the table to take points away from the leader. There are times when some players will hold onto Schedules/Routes this way to keep someone else from getting an extra Agent, but there are 12 Schedules and 12 Routes in the deck, so it can be difficult to do this.

Quote:
4. Is there a reason why drawing cards is not allowed until right before the playing cards phase? This seems to force players to evaluate their cards immediately rather than having time during other players' turns -- which may not even be an issue.

It is an issue in this sense - it prevents players from creating Agents on the same turn they draw the cards which can be too powerful. They already have that opportunity if they have a Schedules/Routes pair face down and have maxed out their ENGINE/CABOOSE points. And yes - you do want to go through your cards quickly. There isn't that much to think about. You go for points or play them to the table. Generally during play, if you didn't roll two logos matching your Primary Line Logo color, and you won't be Hiring an Agent, you are shipping your cards after having passed the dice and the deck. If you are Hiring an Agent or getting ready to Reroute Freight on an opponent, other players will finish up anything they are doing and all eyes are on you.

Quote:
5. Can you ship more than one card from your hand per turn?

You can [and SHOULD] ship them all. The only cards you would really want to hang onto are SIDING cards.

Quote:
6. The scoresheet seems to imply that you score a point in any stock whenever you ship any express line. The rules don't seem to support this. Which is the correct interpretation?

I think you might be getting the EXPRESS LINE icon [the little yellow box] confused with YOUR personal EXPRESS LINE card. Example - Card A is the Monon card with a Caboose and Dumper icon. Card B is the Monon card with the Engine and Caboose icon and the little EXPRESS LINE yellow icon. Only Card B is the EXPRESS LINE card [for the B&O player]. If the B&O player were to ship both cards the options would go like this:

Card A: 1 point of Caboose or Dumper. Since the logo on the card [Monon] matches the B&O player's EXPRESS LINE logo, the B&O player would get 1 extra point of any Rolling Stock he chooses.

Card B: The little yellow Express Line icon on the card combined with the Monon logo mark this as the B&O player's EXPRESS LINE card - all point values are doubled for the B&O player only. Shipping this card nets the B&O player 2 points of Engine or Caboose. Because the logo on the card [Monon] matches the B&O player's Express Line logo [Monon], the B&O player nets 2 extra points in any Rolling Stock.

As a further example, this card will only net the Monon player 2 points. 1 point of either Engine or Caboose and 1 point extra for matching the Primary Line Logo.

It might be easier to think of it this way - when you ship a card, you get get 1 point of any Rolling Stock showing on the card. If the card happens to have a logo that matches any of the 4 logos on the top of your scoresheet, you get a point of ANY Rolling Stock because these logos are not tied to any one Rolling Stock icon like the Agents are.

Quote:
7. The rules state that only face-up cards count during Routing Freight. There is no section on Routing Freight. Is this what Rerouting is?

Yes. That should read REROUTING FREIGHT. ARRGGHH! I HATE typos!

Quote:
8. Rerouting freight talks about "attacking" another player. However, once you make this decision, it appears from the rules that you only look at your own cards and logos. What does another player have to do with any of this? As an aside, it seems as though rerouting at one point was at least partially something else (such as the aforementioned missing routing).

Rerouting Freight allows you to TAKE points from the other player. The process works like this:

A- you roll all the dice.
B- you look for any matches between the logos rolled and ANY logos on your scoresheet or any of your cards that are face up.
C- you score points for all matches.
D- the opponent you designated loses points that you gain. So if you gain 3 points of Engine, the opponent you attacked loses 3 points of Engine.

NOTE: where logos on your scoresheet are tied to specific Rolling Stock [the Agents], you must only gain points in that category of Rolling Stock. Where logos on your scoresheet are not tied to specific Rolling Stock [your Line Logos and your EXPRESS LINE Logo] you may net points from ANY Rolling Stock category. Where logos on face up cards have Rolling Stock printed on them, you must gain points in the Rolling Stock on the card. Where cards do NOT have Rolling Stock printed on them [Routes, Schedules, Sidings and Switch Yards], if you roll a logo that matches them, these cards net you points in ANY category of Rolling Stock.

Quote:
9. Do the logos on the green die count as green for purpose of matching primary color?

No. The logos on the Green die are considered WHITE. In reality, the only time you should roll the Green die is when you are Rerouting Freight - it will have no opportunity to have effect at any other time. But folks seem to love to roll dice, and it always seems to throw people off when I tell them it doesn't really matter if they roll that die....

Quote:
All of the die-roll examples in the rules show the Great Northern logo in the red-orange color it appears on the cards not as it appears on the die, i.e. as a green logo.

It's BROWN on the cards. There is no color matching possible with the Green die. The reason the Great Northern logo is brown in the rules is because it would be invisible as a white logo in the rules.

Quote:
10. In the example on page 8 for figuring points, it states you must take one of the points but on the next says you may take the point. There is no mention of taking points as optional earlier. Is this something special for the Schedules (and possibly by extension Routes) cards? Since you can play schedule cards upside-down to protect them, this seems a rather odd choice to have.

Not at all. It is actually an important part of late game strategy and the reason I included it in the rules - to show you the difference between MUST points and MAY points [as I explained in more detail on Question 8 above]. MUST points force you to take points in a specific Rolling Stock, MAY points allow you to choose any Rolling Stock you please [though you MUST still take the points once you choose].

Quote:
Really looking forward to playing.

Really looking forward to a report! I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch. That really helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, I have some more questions:

1. During the Switch Yard portion of your turn, it is not clear whether you can convert points more than once in a turn or not. That is, suppose I have 12 extra tanker points, can I convert that into two points of dumper? If so, can I convert it into two different types of stock? If I have six extra engines and six extra cabooses, can I convert both of those?

2. In the rules, it states that any matching card during a rerouting attempt is discarded. However, if your extended example of play, when your inactive Switch Yard card is hit, it remains in play and is not discarded. Is this a special case for Switch Yard cards not mentioned in the rules?

3. When you draw a delay card, it states that you play it immediately. Does it still count as one of the cards drawn, even though it doesn't go into your hand? I suspect yes, but I wanted to double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All right, I have some more questions:
No prob - I have more answers!
Quote:
1. During the Switch Yard portion of your turn, it is not clear whether you can convert points more than once in a turn or not.
Absolutely, if you can manage to save up enough to convert more than 1 point per turn. It isn't done often, but it does happen. Won many a game in the Switch Yard!
Quote:
That is, suppose I have 12 extra tanker points, can I convert that into two points of dumper?
Exactomundo.
Quote:
If so, can I convert it into two different types of stock?
You bet. Using your example above, you could convert 6 of the 12 points into a Dumper and the other 6 into a Boxcar.
Quote:
If I have six extra engines and six extra cabooses, can I convert both of those?
Correcto.
Quote:
2. In the rules, it states that any matching card during a rerouting attempt is discarded. However, if your extended example of play, when your inactive Switch Yard card is hit, it remains in play and is not discarded. Is this a special case for Switch Yard cards not mentioned in the rules?
This is a special case [mentioned in the last sentence on pg 3 of the SAMPLE TURN folder], and only the SWICTH YARD card has this capability. That the ACTIVE Switch Yard card is discarded is discussed in both the Rulebook and the Sample Turn folder. I had given some thought to rewording the SWITCH YARD card to read ROUNDHOUSE card, so that it isn't confused with the SWITCH YARD phase of your turn.
Quote:
3. When you draw a delay card, it states that you play it immediately. Does it still count as one of the cards drawn, even though it doesn't go into your hand? I suspect yes, but I wanted to double check.
Yes, it does count as one of your cards drawn - why wouldn't it go into your hand? You draw all your cards at the same time [you don't get to look at any of them as you draw them], then put them in your hand at the same time. When you look at the cards you have drawn, you will then find the DELAY card and get to ruin somebody's day. What could possibly be more fun than that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes, it does count as one of your cards drawn - why wouldn't it go into your hand? You draw all your cards at the same time [you don't get to look at any of them as you draw them], then put them in your hand at the same time. When you look at the cards you have drawn, you will then find the DELAY card and get to ruin somebody's day. What could possibly be more fun than that?

For the sake of argument, the rules don't state that you cannot/do not look at cards as you draw them or that they are drawn as a group. Consequently, most (if not all) of the people I know would draw their cards one at a time (not as a group) and look at the cards as they draw them. The net result would be playing the card once it is drawn. Some might argue that the wording on the card (Play...when you draw) implies that it is played as you draw it and not after drawing all your cards. In this case, it would not be unheard of to replace a card drawn and played in such manner. In this case, I didn't think that you did, but since I was asking other questions, I figured I would get the official word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For the sake of argument, the rules don't state that you cannot/do not look at cards as you draw them or that they are drawn as a group.
That's true. It honestly just never occurred to me to state such in the rules.
Quote:
Consequently, most (if not all) of the people I know would draw their cards one at a time (not as a group) and look at the cards as they draw them. The net result would be playing the card once it is drawn.
If that's your normal mode of play, I can see why you asked the question. Glad for the chance to set the record straight!
Quote:
Some might argue that the wording on the card (Play...when you draw) implies that it is played as you draw it and not after drawing all your cards.
Dude - why would I want to argue with anybody? Too much bad karma in the drama...
Quote:
In this case, it would not be unheard of to replace a card drawn and played in such manner. In this case, I didn't think that you did, but since I was asking other questions, I figured I would get the official word.
No problemo, mi compadre. Consider the word given. Ask anytime - and tell a friend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.