Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bunch of friends and I decided to play the BSG boardgame for the first time.

With 5 players we had a lot of characters in game. In order of choice, we picked Baltar, Chief, Apollo, Bill Adama (played by me), and Sharon/Boomer. Then a 6th player showed up and got Helo but sat between Chief and Apollo (for room).

As Bill Adama, I get the Admiralty, and Baltar gets the Presidency. Loyalty cards go out and I'm a cylon (with the ability to throw people in the brig when I reveal).

The game started with the first few crisis all cylon attack cards, making me wonder how well we shuffled. After a few other crisis cards, we've taken a beating with all the cylons. The ship has damaged some areas, and we lost a couple of civilian ships. Finally, we jump and the board clears. People are happy because it means that there will be far fewer cylon attacks on the way. However, even though I am a cylon, I only get to choose between a 2 distance and a 2 distance, so I move 2 distance.

Soon, President Baltar decides to name Admiral Adama the Vice President. Not long after that, a crisis card declares martial law, and the Admiral becomes President. On the new President's turn, I play the Quorum card to accept prophecy, and the God Emperor is born with the Admiral, President, Vice President, and Accept Prophecy cards.

The next jump comes, and the God-Emperor gets to choose between a 1 distance and a 3 distance card. Fortunately, a player points out that if we only play a 1 distance card, we get another round before we have to deal with the sleepers and hopefully we can jump further to spend less time with potentially more cylons. So, the cylon God Emperor has an excuse to play the 1 distance rather than the 3 distance card.

At this point, fuel is getting low, and someone points out that we lose one fuel for each distance we jump, but we don't have 5 fuel left. People worry. Then cylons attack, and some board, but the armory is damaged. A lot of suspicion goes to the Chief, who reveals that he is a Cylon (killing morale). This works perfectly, as the God-Emperor has been drawing 1-2 quorum cards a turn and occasionally allows brutal force or gets more food. However, three cards boosting morale are being sat upon. Food is doing extremely well, but morale is low. By now, the God Emperor has gone through nearly the entire Quorum deck. The next jump comes, and out of a 1 and a 2, the God Emperor plays the 1 with the explanation that it allows a raptor to find more fuel. Unfortunately, this makes Sharon/Boomer suspicious, claiming that we've had 2 1's and a 2 so far. However, the first 1 is justified by another player asking for it, and the other is justified by getting more fuel, so the objection is squashed.

After the sleeper phase, the revealed cylon makes things dodgy. Some centurians are aboard with the armory damaged (again). People are making to deal with it, when the player before me gives me an executive order. Perfect.

Action 1: The God Emperor points to Helo. "I think you're a cylon. Go to the brig." Plays a quorum card to throw someone in the brig. Everyone is confused, saying that Helo's been helpful.

Action 2: "Goto 10" The God Emperor points to Baltar. "I think you're a cylon. Go to the brig." Plays a quorum card to throw someone in the brig.

After a crisis card is resolved, it's the God Emperor's turn again.

Action: "Goto 10" The God Emperor points to Sharon. "I think you're a cylon. Go to the brig."

After another crisis card, the God Emperor thinks all the humans are in the brig, but Apollo waves hi from his launched raptor. Oops. Cylons were never very good at math.

Despite three humans in the brig, one gets out. About this time, all players are using their once-per-game abilities. By now the quorum deck is reshuffled, with 3 out of 5 cards in it consisting of arrest cards. Another arrest card is drawn, putting the brig back at 3 humans.

Another breakout happens, and the raiding party is defeated, just in time. The God Emperor draws two quorum cards, the second of which is another arrest card.

The players scream, "Help us Baltar, you're our only hope" and get him out. He goes immediately to Colonial-1 (against the rules, as we found out later), but his turn is over. However, Apollo gives Baltar an executive order. The first action is to depose the God Emperor, which passes. Baltar takes the quorum hand and plays the arrest card on the former God Emperor, who now gives up the admiralty as well.

Instead of revealing, the former God-Emperor plays an executive order card (now realized to be illegal via the FAQ) to the revealed cylon to create two crises. Both are chosen to target morale -- Mandatory Cylon Testing and Witch Hunts -- very appropriate considering the circumstances. The players' hands are drained after all the brig breakouts and the resulting drop in morale is enough to cause the fleet to break into chaos, ending the game (ie 0 morale).

Everyone agreed that that was appropriate for the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that when you were brigging people you actually said, every time, "I think you're a cylon, go to the brig." Especially given that 1 of the 2 had already revealed, and you weren't exactly being subtle about your own mechanical heritage, it's pretty hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
The players scream, "Help us Baltar, you're our only hope" and get him out. He goes immediately to Colonial-1 (against the rules, as we found out later), but his turn is over.

I think this is possible if you discard a skill card to do so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, I did repeat the same thing, even though it was obvious that there weren't that many cylons. I even added in "Goto 10" before each one. :-)

2) Actually, the rules say you can go to any place onboard Galactica. However, the board just says "any location." It's an unfortunate case of the board not stating all of the rules in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's me, the fabulous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
The next jump comes, and the God-Emperor gets to choose between a 1 distance and a 3 distance card. Fortunately, a player points out that if we only play a 1 distance card, we get another round before we have to deal with the sleepers and hopefully we can jump further to spend less time with potentially more cylons. So, the cylon God Emperor has an excuse to play the 1 distance rather than the 3 distance card.

You don't have to show the other players the destination cards. The Admiral/Pradmiral/God-Emperor makes the choice of destination secretly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daveboy wrote:

You don't have to show the other players the destination cards. The Admiral/Pradmiral/God-Emperor makes the choice of destination secretly.

Actually, we got that. I was just worried that picking the 1 card would be suspicious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
2) Actually, the rules say you can go to any place onboard Galactica. However, the board just says "any location." It's an unfortunate case of the board not stating all of the rules in the rulebook.

Ah? Thanks for the headsup about that, I will have to make sure we are aware of that next time we play.

Do you know of other situations where the board is missing a critical word or 2?
karat wrote:
I was just worried that picking the 1 card would be suspicious.

Only slightly. If you look at the distribution of destination cards, out of 22 cards:
4 are distance 3
11 are distance 2
7 are distance 1

So nearly 1/3rd of the cards are distance one.

Of course the players probably didn't know that at the time you played, so maybe they would have been looking at you weirdly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.