Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On a scale of to , what would you rate Vikings' gateway value? I can try the game on BSW, but that wouldn't give me the gateway value, since I am a savvy gamer.

EDIT: Here is a poll, but please post your thoughts about the gateway value as well.

Poll
What is the Gateway Value of Vikings on a scale of 1 to 5?
      32 answers
Poll created by Ambrose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First: Which point on the scale are you meaning to be the better gateway game? (I'd put Ticket to Ride as a 1 and Die Macher as a 5 but if those answering see it the otherway to you that will make the results useless.)
Second: I'd probably rate Vikings in the middle, explaining takes to long for it to rate as a 1, there's nowhere near enough thought required for it to be a 5. Once you play once you should be able to see the interactions well enough to be competitive so it's not a 4 but you can't see all that in your first play so it's not a 2.
Third: I don't normally give much thought to this topic (as long as the mechanics of a game appeal to some extent I'm willing to try and learn it) so all this is off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If by "gateway game" you mean a game to introduce gaming to a newbie non-gamer, I say "No way!" The rules are too long, complex, and fiddly for new gamers. The strategy is very non-obvious for new gamers. The play time might be too long for new gamers.

If by "gateway game" you mean a game to move an existing elementary gamer up to "the next level", then OK, Vikings seems possible (though I'd still be a little bit hesitant). E.g. someone who's played stuff like Settlers or Lost Cities and is interested in trying a more complex game.

Either way, I think there are much better "gateway games" than Vikings. (But for people already into gaming, it's a cool game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Avron wrote:
First: Which point on the scale are you meaning to be the better gateway game? (I'd put Ticket to Ride as a 1 and Die Macher as a 5 but if those answering see it the otherway to you that will make the results useless.)

Scale of 1 to 5, meaning 5 would be Ticket to Ride, Die Macher as a 1.

OK, I sort of mean the next step up from gateway I guess, because Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne are already set as THE gateway games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd rate it between one and two. Obviously Die Macher would be almost impossible for a next step simply because of the time involved--and actually for no other reason. This game is just as obtuse, more fiddly, with more confusing rules (although really no more difficult mechanics) and far more disconnected from its theme--but it plays in the appropriate time-frame for a "next step." It's a great game, but it's quite a ways down the list of games I'd bring out for a game-novice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.