Subject: Travel Ticket to Ride Review/Overview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently uploaded my travel Ticket to Ride and wanted to give a little review over it and provide some shots of it.

Here is a quick picture of the travel version.

Making the Game
I printed out the map on two separate pages, taped them together and then got it laminated. I chose the heavier lamination to make sure it holds up after repeated use.
I then printed out 4 "train cards" that have 45 trains on it and also had those laminated in the heavier lamination.

Other Items Needed
* Wet Erase Overhead Transparency Markers

* US destination tickets (smaller deck works best)
* Train cards (smaller deck works best)

Setting Up/Playing the Game

Its just like the original Ticket to Ride because it is Ticket to Ride... only travelized.

Changes in Playing
Instead of placing trains, you use your overhead markers to mark your trains on the map.

After marking your route, you cross out the corresponding number of trains on your train card.

Cleaning Up
To clean up, put away all the cards FIRST. This is where it gets a little messy and you don't want your cards getting gross. I use a wet paper towel to wash off the marker and a dry one to dry it off. It does get messy (see below) which is one of the setbacks.

Overall
Its the same Ticket to Ride only in a little easier to travel with package. It only cost me around $10 to buy everything and it didn't take long to make. I find it handy on trips where I'm in a vehicle and we can still play because we don't have to worry about trains being knocked around. No too many downsides besides the messiness of clean-up. If interested, check the Files section for the parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

Very inventive. I had thought about taking TTR: Nordic Countries on vacation but decided that the box was too bulky and didn't want to take a chance on losing any of the train pieces - I can see that I was wrong! Great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

Have these files been approved yet? I looked and didn't see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
Great idea!

Still waiting on them being approved. Hopefully this morning I'll get the GeekMail telling me that they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long and wide does the "board" measure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its 16 inches long and 24 inches wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! I thought about making a travel TtR at one point, but I couldn't imagine an efficient way to get the trains on the board. I had considered cutting the trains out of sculpey rectangles and then gluing magnetic strips on the bottoms. Then the board would be a printed full-sheet sticky label affixed to a metal tin.

I abandoned the idea as being far-too labor intensive and fiddley, as you can imagine.

Your idea to laminate a small board and then use different colored erasable markers is absolutely ingenious, though!

I'm looking forward to seeing the files get approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
Great job! I thought about making a travel TtR at one point, but I couldn't imagine an efficient way to get the trains on the board. I had considered cutting the trains out of sculpey rectangles and then gluing magnetic strips on the bottoms. Then the board would be a printed full-sheet sticky label affixed to a metal tin.

I abandoned the idea as being far-too labor intensive and fiddley, as you can imagine.

Your idea to laminate a small board and then use different colored erasable markers is absolutely ingenious, though!

I'm looking forward to seeing the files get approved.
Only other approach I had in mind was using magnets, altho that seems liek it can get expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dry erase would work better for cleanup. It would leave a few smudges on the trip, then you clean it up with rubbing alcohol when you get home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RJSim4 wrote:
mrorwell wrote:
Great idea!

Still waiting on them being approved. Hopefully this morning I'll get the GeekMail telling me that they were.

I'm kind of anxiously awaiting this being approved, as well, which is odd, considering that I have no travel plans until summer at least.

Maybe you can post some printable images in your gallery in the meantime? I'm most interested in the board with 45 trains on it. It looks very nice.

Once again, nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
Maybe you can post some printable images in your gallery in the meantime? I'm most interested in the board with 45 trains on it. It looks very nice.

I uploaded the train card to my gallery for now.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/234391
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This is a neat idea, especially since Days of Wonder would never do anything like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Sim
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:

Files have finally been approved. To download, visit http://boardgamegeek.com/file/info/38555.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gansen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As many have said, this is a great idea. It wouldn't be too hard to do this with other versions too! Esp. with dice game, all pieces (destination tickets from various versions) might fit into one of the 1910 or 1912 expansion boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen P
msg tools
What a great idea; thank you!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.