Joe Flesch
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so if you've played the game great; if not I suggest you give it a try. If one of your friends owns it play with them; I think it's an okay purchase if your interested in it as long as you don't buy the expansions and I'll explain later.

So zombies is a very simple to learn game with very basic rules. There can be some strategy involved but I find it lacking. You and the other players start in town square which is a tile laid onto a table. From their play circulates with each layer moving the number of spaces on rolled on a D6.

Each turn a player places a new tile connecting the roadways from tile to tile and putting zombies onto the board as required by the tile along with two items. Bullets and hearts. One for life and the other for killing zombies; pretty obvious.

The first to collect enough zombies or the first to make it safely to the helicoptor which is somewhere in the map tile stack wins. You roll a D6 to kill any zombie sharing the same space as you on a 5 or 6. You can spend bullets to adjust your score by a point to ensure the kill.

The game is pretty fun and fast paced with 3 or 4 players in the basic set and this is what I like. However much like Munchkin and some other games that have been overdone there are somewhere in the realm of 10 additions to this game that you can buy. I bought 3 of them however after every add-on after the 2nd made the game more and more tedious. The games got longer; more boring; and less fun. This is the god awful part. It made me and my friends not want to play anymore because we knew the game would take forever and just be a pain to set up and tear down at the end. Its just too much for what should be a fun and short beer and pretzels game.

So while I do recommend the base set I cannot recommend the add-ons and if you decide to buy one of these read the reviews carefully and pick only 1 or maybe and I stress "MAYBE" 2 at most to get with it. I've seperated my base set from the add-ons and put those away so that we just play with the original now. We find it entertaining once more; but I am forever going to be haunted by the add-ons sitting in my closet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually only play with one or two expansions at a time. Some of them, though, you can use the rules without the extra tiles and stuff. For instance, I like the Guts rules from School's Out Forever, and I expect I'll be using them every game, even if I don't use the university cards and tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like to stack the deck, even with the base set, so that the helicopter tile comes up *somewhere* in the second half of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb
Volfield wrote:
I like the Guts rules from School's Out Forever, and I expect I'll be using them every game, even if I don't use the university cards and tiles.

Me too. I think using some of the 3.5 cards while removing some of the hosers from the basic deck can also help speed the game. I also think Zombies!!! 6: Six Feet Under adds something to the game while making it faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bryan
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with other posters that by mixing up how the expansions are used you can achieve more interesting game play without making the game longer. And i do agree with the original poster about picking one or two expansions based on reviews. Some of the expansions are definately better than others... I reccomend the schools out expansion because it adds the guts tokens when add a slightly new element to the game and the zombie corps(e) expansion because i liked the powerful glowing zombies, sometimes we play games with only the more powerful zombies to make it more of a running game than a killing game.

I also quite enjoyed the blank expansion where you made your own tiles and cards, it is quite fun to play a game with the bar or coffee shops we frequent, our local comic shop and other fun inside joke settings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MoonSylver wrote:
Yep, other than 3.5(which is cards only) you can play the rest of the expansions completely stand alone (as long as you have the base set). So you can play JUST on the military base, the mall, etc. Plus the lower number of tiles can make for a QUICKER game if you use them standalone. So those expansions don't HAVE to go to waste after all. ;)
---MS

I second this.

Use only the tiles from the expansion and use the cards from the expansion plus some non tile specific cards from the base game and you've got a short, fun, intense game of Zombies!!!

Also, rolling 2d6 for moment greatly speeds up the game. Zombies!!! is very customizable to suit the needs of the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others here. Don't play all the expansions at once. Just use one at a time. However I agree that you can use other things from the expansions like the "Guts" tokens. Also the card only 3.5 expansion is practically mandatory...it fixes several issues with the base game. To ensure that the game doesn't drag on too long play with the "quicker rules" found on the Geek.

Zombies!!! is one of my favorites and I'm always curious to see what Twilight Creations Inc has up their sleeves for it. I just got Humans!!! and I'm eager to give that one a try this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpf1982 wrote:

So zombies is a very simple to learn game with very basic rules. There can be some strategy involved but I find it lacking.

There is strategy in placing the terrain tiles, trying to open up opportunities at your end of town, and close then down in front of other players. It isn't sophisticated, but there is some game to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gijs Bouwman
Netherlands
Bussum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the expansions. 3.5 is permanetly mixed in my basegame. I also have 3: Mall walkers, but i usualy play with 2 or three players. This means that the mall almost nevers makes it complete ore the person in the mall is screwed beceause he's the only one laying those tiles.
Suggestions anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.