Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I have worked through ASLSK1-3, and now are learning the full ASL system. The second scenario we are attempting is Scenario B from the 'Classic' batch of scenarios that originally were for Squad Leader. This one brings up some questions about concealment, since I don't fully comprehend how this all works yet.

My questions are:

When a unit sets up under concealment, it remains concealed until it moves/fires/etc, regardless of being in LOS of enemy units, right?

After all the ? counters are placed from the scenario card, any other units out of LOS of any enemy revealed, Good Order unit get a free ? counter, right?

Concealed units DO force Loss of Concealment for enemy concealed units that move in the open, fire, etc, right?

I think I've answered most of these questions by discussing with my friend and repeatedly re-reading the concealment rules, but I'd like some clarification from all-y'all. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello Paul,

From memory (no rule book handy) :-

Quote:
When a unit sets up under concealment, it remains concealed until it moves/fires/etc, regardless of being in LOS of enemy units, right?

Yes, unless an enemy unit attempts to enter its hex, or (I think) Mops Up its building.

Quote:
After all the ? counters are placed from the scenario card, any other units out of LOS of any enemy revealed, Good Order unit get a free ? counter, right?

Yes.

Quote:
Concealed units DO force Loss of Concealment for enemy concealed units that move in the open, fire, etc, right?

Yes, so long as at least one friendly unit in a hex momentarily reveals itself as real.

Hope this is helpful. The Concealment Loss/Gain chart is pretty useful for answers to your first question.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
As the rulebook says, the Concealment Loss/Gain Table is the ultimate authority on when units can gain or lose concealment. It specifically says that there are cases on the table not mentioned in the rules, and in case of conflict, the table takes precedence.

If you have a question about concealment that doesn't appear to be covered in the rules, always go to the table. Even if it does appear to be covered in the rules, you should probably double-check with the table anyway. The table is your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
As Gygax intended.
badge
“It is a trivial grammar-school text, but yet worthy a wise man’s consideration. Question was asked of Demosthenes, what was the chief part of an orator? he answered, action; what next? action; what next again? action.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me second the advice above. Understanding the Concealment Loss/Gain Table is critical to learning Concealment.

For others wondering where this is: this is the table that takes up one whole side of the Chapter A Divider in the ASLRB.

It is very confusing at first, but it's worth the effort to work it out as studying the rules alone will not get you to where you want to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My major misunderstanding is not with the table, but with what constitutes a Good Order unit. But I think I figured out that a ? unit is NOT a good order unit, but DOES still have an effect on concealment. That is the tricky bit, for me at least.

I LOVE CONCEALMENT, THOUGH! I'm running the scenario solo right now, and it is still even more fun and exciting with hidden units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulus22 wrote:
But I think I figured out that a ? unit is NOT a good order unit, but DOES still have an effect on concealment.

Well, not exactly. A Dummy unit/stack (multiple ?'s) is not Good Order. A (real) unit under a ? counter is Good Order. However, you must momentarily reveal it (lift up the ? counter) in order to strip enemy concealment. This is primarily a matter of verification - since ASL's rules attempt to be rigorous enough for tournaments, you can't simply say that a concealed unit is real without proving it. However, there are also some gameplay ramifications here as well. It's sometimes a better idea not to momentarily reveal your own unit and let the enemy keep his concealment in order to keep him in the dark about where your own real units are. What you choose depends on how valuable that knowledge would be in that situation.

Because the rule about momentary reveals is primarily a verification issue, some people consider it "gamey" and house-rule it in friendly play. A number of players I've met will "show a boot" without revealing the exact stats of the unit. A few will simply go by one another's word without any verification at all. However, the rules as written are quite clear that the unit must be completely (though only momentarily) revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
Units out of LOS but not in "?" terrain will have to make a dr for it on the "?" table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Taylor
United States
Wixom
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paulus22 wrote:
My major misunderstanding is not with the table, but with what constitutes a Good Order unit. But I think I figured out that a ? unit is NOT a good order unit, but DOES still have an effect on concealment. That is the tricky bit, for me at least.

I LOVE CONCEALMENT, THOUGH! I'm running the scenario solo right now, and it is still even more fun and exciting with hidden units.

GO units will cause concealment to be lost for units taking actions (as defined on the Chap. A chart) in LOS.

Dummies, i.e. ? counters, will prevent a unit from gaining concealment.

Concealment is gained (only by the ATTACKER's units) at the end of the ATTACKER's Close Combat Phase.

JT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Mitchell
United States
Cameron Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking. I'm learning ASL, too. Concealment can seem a bit tricksy now and again. So...the table is our friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.