Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. When a squad exits a vehicle in a hex containing a minefield, does it check for casualties?

Exiting a vehicle in a minefield does not sound like the smartest way to play, but there are situations in which it may be unavoidable (your halftrack was heavily damaged by a mine.

2. Can you exit a bridge hex into any adjacent hex?

I believe this example is from "The fall of Torbruk". On the German side of the map this bridge is the extra bridge and to the left (I have no idea but lets call it West for this discussion) it leads off the map with a half hex. To the southeast the Crevasse continues. To the northwest however, the crevasse ends and that hex is a hill. Can a squad on the bridge exit to that hill hex? It seems illogical, but I do not see it in the rules.

3. Can you as an attacker ever use less attack dice than listed?

Why would you want to you ask? Let us say a heavily damaged tank is sitting on a choke point such as a bridge and a lightly damaged halftrack enters that hex, If I have an adjacent squad on op-fire can I choose fire with only some of the figures instead of all of them? Or if I have an AT on op-fire can I use less dice, with the idea I want the vehicle to become heavily damaged (but not destroyed) on the bridge causing an impassable hex.

4. Can you fire on you own units? Again, look at the above situation and if you have two heavily damaged vehicles in a hex you desperately need to enter, you may want them gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spacehulk wrote:

1. When a squad exits a vehicle in a hex containing a minefield, does it check for casualties?

Yes, when exiting a vehicle, it is as if the unit just entered the hex. All movement penalties, OP Fire and terrain affect the unit.

Spacehulk wrote:
2. Can you exit a bridge hex into any adjacent hex?
I believe this example is from "The fall of Torbruk". On the German side of the map this bridge is the extra bridge and to the left (I have no idea but lets call it West for this discussion) it leads off the map with a half hex. To the southeast the Crevasse continues. To the northwest however, the crevasse ends and that hex is a hill. Can a squad on the bridge exit to that hill hex? It seems illogical, but I do not see it in the rules.

I've played the scenario and I thought at first the bridge didn't have a purpose. However, the road is what is key here. The road allows the unit to move from the bridge onto the hill.

Spacehulk wrote:
3. Can you as an attacker ever use less attack dice than listed?

Why would you want to you ask? Let us say a heavily damaged tank is sitting on a choke point such as a bridge and a lightly damaged halftrack enters that hex, If I have an adjacent squad on op-fire can I choose fire with only some of the figures instead of all of them? Or if I have an AT on op-fire can I use less dice, with the idea I want the vehicle to become heavily damaged (but not destroyed) on the bridge causing an impassable hex.

This is interesting. In the "Fall of Tobruk" scenario, I heavily damaged some armor on the 2VP bridge to the 'east' of the map. However, I think the movement rules say that while any number of units may pass through a hex, the hex may not exceed three total units at the end of movement (only two of which may be vehicles). So, there is no real benefit ... as long as units can move through. Perhaps units and vehicles have to stop ... but, they will still be able to move through.

Spacehulk wrote:
4. Can you fire on you own units? Again, look at the above situation and if you have two heavily damaged vehicles in a hex you desperately need to enter, you may want them gone.

I think the rules say no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, for #3, let us say that there was a minefield on the bridge and the unit was forced to stop due to taking mine damage. How would you account for overstacking in that circumstance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, I think the rules are clear in that units can not leave a vehicle if it will result in an overstacked situation.

I guess I see where you might be coming from ... unit leaves vehicle, takes a hit from minefield (I think the rules are clear that they must stop movement) - what do you do now that there are 4 units in the hex?

Well, I suppose the unit might be stuck in the vehicle. Price you pay for driving a loaded vehicle into a mine-field, I guess. (Seriously, I'm not trying to be glib).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules I found the part that deals with overstacking and resolution:

"If a unit’s movement is stopped (due to being pinned
by opportunity fire, for example) in a full hex, the
unit is returned to the last non-full hex it moved
from."

"A squad may not exit a vehicle if by doing so it would exceed the stacking limit of the
hex."

"If a unit enters a hex containing a minefield
marker, it must immediately end its movement
and check for casualties:"

So in this case, if there is a minefield full with units, and another unit enters it, it must end it's movement. This would prevent any unit from ever getting through that hex as long as it is at its stacking limits. So the way I read it, If two vehicles get disabled in that hex, you are not going to be able to get any vehicles through that hex for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vehicles, yes. Squad bases, as long as the hex total isn't over three, should be fine to move into, stop and resume movement later.

Believe me, it's crossed my mind about damage to vehicles causing a choke point.

Perhaps running an engineer up there and remove those mines (if that card is in play). Otherwise, you are right, heavily damaged vehicles on a minefield space is a real tactical problem.

Quote:
"If a unit’s movement is stopped (due to being pinned
by opportunity fire, for example) in a full hex, the
unit is returned to the last non-full hex it moved
from."

Do you presume, then, the unit would TAKE damage from the mines before returning to the previously vacated hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spacehulk wrote:
If two vehicles get disabled in that hex, you are not going to be able to get any vehicles through that hex for the rest of the game.

The funny thing is that"knocked out" tanks are removed from the hex. So 2 heavilly damaged tanks in a minefield prevent the entry to any other vehicle, but 10 knocked out and "removed from the game" tanks in the same minefield, don't.

But alas, a rule for wrecks will have put the game in the ASL zone of terror laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.