14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: want glossary of all TAG words rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RADAR [+] [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All tag words ought to go into a glossary so their meanings are defined.

Any tag that is an acronym must also have its whole-word meaning in the glossary, linked to the acronym, to avoid duplication and to let people know that an acronym has been defined (some topics could be given several different acronyms -- for example, Civil War encompasses many different wars, which ought to all have their own specific word description & acronym.

I just came across the tag "radar" which apparently does not mean Radio Detection and Ranging... someone seems to have created it for games he has on his own watch list of some sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
I just came across the tag "radar" which apparently does not mean Radio Detection and Ranging... someone seems to have created it for games he has on his own watch list of some sort.

Tags were made for things like this. There are a number of special tags used by the system, but each user can create and use his own set of tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the whole purpose of tags was to have user customizable system? If you made it all uniform, it would be duplicative of other things on the site.

For example, I think you can search all civil war games through Game Categories.

Interesting idea though.... are you volunteering to do the work? It would be a massive project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
> each user can create and use his own set of tags.

Right. And making that usage of "radar" a system-wide definition seems like a mistake; he probably meant to make it a personal tag.

What if someone else used that tag for all the games whose technology includes radar? What a mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>are you volunteering to do the work? It would be a massive project.

I'm not a programmer.

Someone with system access ought to be able to easily make an alphabetical list of all the existing tags, turn them into "clickable" references, and then make that glossary template editable by everyone to get the old stuff done piecemeal.

Then add a subroutine to the tag-creation applet that has an input box to define the tag in 25 words or less, and that definition linked into the glossary... new stuff should be able to be automated, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing about tags is that they are subjective and NOT strictly defined. People can tag any way they want, meaningful to themselves. The most popular or useful tags float to the top, available to other users. It's a folksonomy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:

Right. And making that usage of "radar" a system-wide definition seems like a mistake; he probably meant to make it a personal tag.

What if someone else used that tag for all the games whose technology includes radar? What a mess.

Excuse my ignorance, but what games exist that use radar technology?

I'm also starting to think you are pulling our leg here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
>are you volunteering to do the work? It would be a massive project.

I'm not a programmer.

You don't need to be. You could start a BGG wiki page that is an alphabetical list of tags. You and anyone else could add definitions.

Since tags are created by users, the vast majority of tags are personal and specific to the one user, so not likely to be worth putting into this list.

Here, I've even started Common Tags. Looking at it, I realize that most tags' meanings seem pretty obvious to me. Feel free to add more! It could turn into a useful interesting amusing page...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
Gronak wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what games exist that use radar technology?

I'm also starting to think you are pulling our leg here

I assumed that meant games with radar in the simulation sense (e.g. a "Smokey and the Bandit" game or something), not the literal sense.

E.g. how many wargames include tanks, but don't really include tanks. Well, except for the really expensive wargames that national militaries use....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin C wrote:
I've added some more tags to the 'list of tags' page, and formatted it as a table so it's easier to read.

wiki page wrote:
want see wanted
wanted see want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>Um, I don't know if you realise this, but your 'suggestions' come across as rather confrontational?

Typing hurts: RSI. Brevity trumps conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
>Um, I don't know if you realise this, but your 'suggestions' come across as rather confrontational?

Until you get fired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Gronak wrote:

Fair enough. As a concrete style suggestion for such requests, note that "could" has fewer keystrokes than "ought to", and only one keystroke more than "must". I suspect for many people that simple change would make a big difference in the apparent tone of the original post. At least to my ear this sounds more like a "Hey, here's an idea, what do you think?" proposal and less like a "Somebody must do this for me!" demand (actually, I'm curious what others think):
Quote:
All tag words could go into a glossary so their meanings are defined.

Any tag that is an acronym could also have its whole-word meaning in the glossary, linked to the acronym, to avoid duplication and to let people know that an acronym has been defined (some topics could be given several different acronyms -- for example, Civil War encompasses many different wars, which could all have their own specific word description & acronym.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you're saying, Russ, but since this appeared in the BGG Suggestions forum I read the post with the implicit prefix: "I propose the following..." that invited the community at large to comment on that proposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.