North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu's text reads:

Quote:
Forced Response: After a player draws cards during his draw phase, he must sacrifice a character, if able.

Does this mean the that the player who played this card also has to sacrifice a character during his draw phase? I would assume yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Cthulhu could be sacrificed himself to stop the process once the 'Cthulhu' player has chewed down his opponent enough. Plus the Cthulhu character card itself is a one GOO load of trouble for opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
southernmagnus wrote:
Would characters sacrificed have to be only characters in play or could they be players in your hand as well?

No, they need to be in play. Also, you can only sacrifice your own characters.

Hehe - reminds me of a game I played yesterday with Cthulhu/Yog Sototh factions. I had "Living Mummy" in play and his special ability is that if he goes to the discard pile, then every character in the game gets a wound.

My opponent had tons of characters out while I only had Living Mummy, Cthulhu, and a couple of other minor ones, when I brought Cthulhu out, naturally when it was my turn the first character I chose to sacrifice was the Living Mummy - so it wiped out all of our other characters and the only one left in play was my own Cthulhu (he was the only character in play who was either invulnerable or had toughness). Muahahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa. It didn't occur to me that Cthulhu himself is a valid target of his own ability. I figured Cthulhu eventually ate everyone else in play, but once everyone else has been destroyed, he apparently goes away as well. Whew. That changes his dynamic a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the way the text is worded on his card it reads to me that *any* character that the player can sacrifice then that player must sacrifice the character . It doesn't read to me that Cthulhu is immune to this...

My guess (within play) is that once he has nothing else to munch on, then he goes away hungry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wooten
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to be clear on this:

If my opponent plays Cthulhu, whenever either of us draws two cards in our draw phase, we have to (if able) sacrifice one of our characters in play. If Cthulhu is his owner's last character standing during their draw phase, then Cthulhu eats himself (more or less) and is placed in the discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
funkenmittens wrote:
So, to be clear on this:

If my opponent plays Cthulhu, whenever either of us draws two cards in our draw phase, we have to (if able) sacrifice one of our characters in play. If Cthulhu is his owner's last character standing during their draw phase, then Cthulhu eats himself (more or less) and is placed in the discard pile?

Yes. Cthulhu counts as a "character" and may be a required recipient of his own power. So if the only character you have in play is Cthulhu, then you must sacrifice Cthulhu when you draw cards at the beginning of your turn.

Since the card does not specifically state "other characters in play" or "Cthulhu is immune to this effect" the indication from the specific wording is that Cthulhu is not immune. Thematically, I guess if there's no one else for Cthulhu to destroy, then he gets bored and leaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.