Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee B
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been following this game since it came out. I jumped on the hype bandwagon and picked up a copy for list price on ebay. Before I had a chance to get into it, all of the problems came to light. I love the components and would like to give it a try. I'm not turned off by complexity. What I'm looking for is a list of all the errata, fixes, and house rules that are commonly used to bring this diamond out of the rough. Any help out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. We played with the 2ed rules and a few questions on the CSW thread and had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules per se really don't require many errata. You can find the relevant doc at CSW, but it's mostly just a few clarifications. The issues with the game are more basic production issues - the rules referencing counters that don't exist, illustrations missing from the rulebook, and other problems of that sort. Basically, it doesn't appear that the designer actually looked at the proofs from the printer to see whether all the parts were there before giving the OK.

Personally, I think the design is simply boring and that no amount of errata or house rules are going to change that. The time scale (monthly turns in a 30-year war) is simply insane, and there's an enormous amount of bookkeeping (40-odd different record tracks). The economic system punishes mistakes very harshly by eliminating unsupplied units, which leads to very, very long pre-year planning phases while each player prepares an exacting budget for his gold. The only part of the game that I found at all tricky for rules is the siege system, particularly when you're dealing with coastal towns and land/naval blockades. Otherwise, the rules aren't that hard, and are a pretty good simulation to boot. It's just not very fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.