Doom: The Boardgame» Forums » Rules

Subject: Grenades, scatter and obstacles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mal Settle
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Played the first scenario, going to play the second tomorrow night but an interesting question has been raised that I can't find the answer for...

If a marine throws a grenade, he can throw it through an obstacle because it has Seeking, but if he misses and it scatters into an obstacle or wall it then "explodes harmlessly". Is that right?

One of the other players said he thought Grenades would be useful in a tight corridor but if the above is true then chances are any miss is going to do nothing at all which seems wrong for a grenade.

And if it does work that way, any thoughts on an in house rule that the grenade explodes when it hits an obstacle when scattering?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, by the rules, it explodes harmlessly.
For a houserule, just have the grenade bounce logically. For example, if it hits a wall directly, it bounces back directly. If it hits a wall diagonally, it continues diagonally, making a 'V' as it bounces off the wall.

The thing is, the 'harmless' rule exists to discourage players from just standing around a corner and chucking grenades into a room at max range, knowing that even if the grenade scatters, it's probably gonna kill something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Settle
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for that.

The bounce idea sounds sensible but I see the point about the round-the-corner grenade tosses. I'll keep an eye on it. We're adjusting things as we go so we'll see what happens.

What about limiting Seeking attacks to only be allowed if the player would have LOS if the obstacles weren't in the way? That way they can't toss a grenade around a corner (coz they'd never be able to see through the corner) but they can toss a grenade inside a room with placed obstacles. Essentially declaring blocking obstacles to still allow the marine to get a sense for where his target is whereas going around a corner he has no idea.

If that's confusing, look at the two diagrams below. In the one on the left, the player is not allowed to bounce a grenade off the walls to get it around the corner. In the one on the right he can do what he likes. (Both of these assume he's trying to use a grenade or rocket launcher.)

- | + -- Walls
M -- Marine
X -- Placed obstacle
I -- Invader
+-------------- +--------------
|.............. |..............
|.....X.I...... |..M..X.I......
|...+---------- |...+----------
|..M| |...|
|...| |...|

Then again, the bounce would be random and could just as easily bounce back towards the marine, so maybe such restrictions aren't necessary - if they want to gamble, let them. And I'm thinking that rule doesn't fit with the style of the game - arbitrarily stopping them from attacking an open space contradicts the rest of the game.

Oh well, we'll see how it goes tonight.

Thanks again :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.